SONY-SAMSUNG Enter Cross-License to Share Patents!

j^aws

Veteran
SAMSUNG AND SONY ENTER A CROSS-LICENSE AGREEMENT
TO SHARE PATENT PORTFOLIOS
Each Retains Exclusionary Rights for Unique "Differentiation Technology Patents"

Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd
Sony Corporation

SEOUL, Korea and TOKYO, Japan, December 14, 2004 Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. (hereafter Samsung) and Sony Corporation (hereafter Sony) have signed a Cross-License Agreement on December 14, detailing mutual usage of patent portfolios owned by the two companies.

Over the past several decades, Samsung and Sony, have each built strong patent portfolios through vigorous R&D efforts on a wide range of electronic technologies, especially those related to digitalization and broadband network capability.

Today's announcement is the culmination of negotiations that have occurred between the two companies since December 2003. It is noteworthy that the two leading companies in the electronics industry will share patents across major product lines through a cross-license agreement. The goal was to construct a mutually beneficial relationship whereby Samsung and Sony could use each other's patent portfolios to effectively keep pace with the fast and sophisticated advancement of digital technologies. This indicates a new patent relationship appropriate for the broadband/network era.

To enable greater business growth through efficient product development, the Agreement licenses those patents which are considered to be the basic technologies necessary for product development. They are associated with technologies, such as basic semiconductor technology and industry standard technologies.

On the other hand, to foster the uniqueness of each company, and healthy competition in the market, so called "Differentiation Technology Patents" and design rights are excluded from the Agreement. Examples of "Differentiation Technology Patents" that are not licensed from Sony to Samsung, are those related to Digital Reality Creation (DRC), and PlayStation Architecture. Patents not licensed from Samsung to Sony are those related to Digital Natural Image Engine (DNIe), and Samsung's Home Networking Technology. Furthermore, the agreement does not apply to TFT-LCD and Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED) display patents.

Both Sony and Samsung recognize that the Cross-License Agreement will reinforce their ability to provide better products and services to consumers worldwide, while at the same time, maintain each company's uniqueness and competitiveness.

The Cross License Agreement between Samsung and Sony includes the subsidiaries of both companies.

About Samsung Electronics
Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. is a global leader in semiconductor, telecommunication, digital media and digital convergence technologies with 2003 parent company sales of US$36.4 billion and net income of US$5.0 billion. Employing approximately 88,000 people in 89 offices in 46 countries, the company consists of five main business units: Digital Appliance Business, Digital Media Business, LCD Business, Semiconductor Business and Telecommunication Network Business. Recognized as one of the fastest growing global brands, Samsung Electronics is the world's largest producer of color monitors, memory chips, and TFT-LCDs.
For more information, visit http://www.samsung.com

About Sony Corporation
Sony Corporation is a leading manufacturer of audio, video, game, communications, key device and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. With its music, pictures, computer entertainment and on-line businesses, Sony is uniquely positioned to be the leading personal broadband entertainment company in the world. Sony recorded consolidated annual sales of approximately $72 billion for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2004.
Sony Global Web Site: http://www.sony.net/

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200412/04-1214E/

It's important to note that Samsung do not have access to playsation patents/IPs. Nonetheless Sony would have access to Samsung patents/IPs to apply to the PS3. So the list of partners for PS3 now has Samsung added,

Samsung
SONY
nVidia
IBM
Toshiba
Rambus
<insert here>

What could Samsung bring to the PS3 and CELL from this joint venture! :?:

The agreement sounds more defensive than strategic. I would assume Samsung holds enough patents in the areas that Sony wants Cell to be applied to that it was important to get the threat of future IP lawsuits out of the way now.

Tuttle said:
The agreement sounds more defensive than strategic. I would assume Samsung holds enough patents in the areas that Sony wants Cell to be applied to that it was important to get the threat of future IP lawsuits out of the way now.

I think it has nothing to do with Cell and alot more to do with eneding the costly IP battles that have been raging in the CE marketplace. Sony just payed out something like 100M+ in a case IIRC.

Well Samsung is at Fishkill working with IBM on .65 nm and .45 nm. They support Rambus XDR and Blu-Ray along with being a consummer electronic giant.

this deal should allow Sony to manufacture certain types of RAM themselves (i.e.: Samsung's QDR II RAM and/or their GDDR3 RAM), instead of having to buy RAM...........

It's already known that Samsung is one of suppliers of XDR-DRAM for the PS3, along with Toshiba and Elpida.

http://www.rambus.com/products/innovationslicensing/licensingmodel/licensees.cfm
Rambus Technology Licensees

XDRâ„¢ Memory Controllers

Sony Corporation
Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
Toshiba Corporation

Redwood Parallel Interfaces

Sony Corporation
Toshiba Corporation

XDRâ„¢ Memory

Elpida Memory, Inc.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Toshiba Corporation

kaigai_2.jpg

one said:
It's already known that Samsung is one of suppliers of XDR-DRAM for the PS3, along with Toshiba and Elpida.

http://www.rambus.com/products/innovationslicensing/licensingmodel/licensees.cfm
Rambus Technology Licensees

XDRâ„¢ Memory Controllers

Sony Corporation
Toshiba Corporation

Redwood Parallel Interfaces

Sony Corporation
Toshiba Corporation

XDRâ„¢ Memory

Elpida Memory, Inc.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Toshiba Corporation

kaigai_2.jpg
oh cool ... I guess I missed that news .......... well, I guess Sony will not have to buy RAM from Samsung anymore, they can just make some themselves using Samsung's IP :eek: ... should result in some quite good savings for Sony, IMO 8)

Wunderchu said:
oh cool ... I guess I missed that news .......... well, I guess Sony will not have to buy RAM from Samsung anymore, they can just make some themselves using Samsung's IP :eek: ... should result in some quite good savings for Sony, IMO 8)

Likely, but not necessarily.

london-boy said:
Wunderchu said:

Likely, but not necessarily.
not necessarily I suppose.. however, I can't really see Sony going ahead and buying RAM from someone else and squandering the opportunity to use Samsung's IP to manufacture RAM for themselves..

Back