Record footage from PSP?

How does one get direct-feed videos from GBA or DS? Never checked any of the videos for those systems so i'm not even sure they exist.

london-boy said:
How does one get direct-feed videos from GBA or DS? Never checked any of the videos for those systems so i'm not even sure they exist.

Beats me, but it seems that some sites manage to capture direct-feeds...

london-boy said:
For developers systems with brilliant TV output are available. For consumers (and gaming sites) there's the GBA Player, but its interlaced output is too crappy to give me any CRT kicks. Then there are emulators (very useful for both developers and the press)...

I recall at one point, before the GBA player there was a device made specifically for taking direct feed footage from the GameBoy Advance. As to how they pulled the video from the system is anybody's guess though. I presume it may be possible for the existance of a device of similar purpose for PSP as well, though most of the video that has been taken "direct-feed" appears to have been from monitors at trade shows, and is easy to explain.

Does anybody know if there is a port aboard the PSP that is fast enough for a video out stream anyway? Maybe the USB port, but only in theory, not in actual practice I would think. Probably wrong there though, could work.

Trade show monitor or dev unit seems like the only real outlet for this kind of thing.

later

Iridius Dio

Evil_Cloud said:
Just wondering, is it possible to record from the PSP (to videocamera or pc), and how?
Not yet, but the thing is programmable and with enough I/O options that I'm sure third parties are a-scrambling. ;)

No idea why Sony hasn't decided to have Video out at least by peripheral, though. (Or at least said one is coming as opposed to shrugging it off in interviews, as... why the hell not? Do they actually think the PSP will get tons of content ONLY for UMD that won't appear in any other medium, and that the PSP can deflect all piracy attempts? :rolleyes:

Some pics of "it"

pspdevkit.jpg

h-103_30282_pspsyoukai.jpg.jpg

How is the kit to work with, in general terms (relative to early PS2 kits)?
Well, first there's the obvious physical difference. PSP kit is smaller (compare the little white box to the big bad black PS2 Tool monolity next to it).
Not to mention, more stylish - the early PS2 kits were nasty looking green monsters with all the innards exposed, albeit the ugliness slightly offset by a display of futuristic(and by futuristic I mean something that looked futuristic back in the 1950s) led lights inside the open box.
Granted the black monolity style that replaced them was a step up, but it was a bit too much of the whole - now you work for the dark side - thing. Clearly Sony is working hard to uphold the positive image with PSP - the little thing looking like Luke(in color too :p) next to DarthVader in that pic.

Ahem...

Where was I - oh, then there's the noise, or rather lack of thereof. First thing you notice turning the thing on is how quiet it is (like a PSTwo really, if not quieter).
Compared to the thundering 3000 Db jetengine roar from DTL10000 (Sony calls the things inside them "fans" but I am convinced they are actually oceanliner engines in disguise).

Smaller size doesn't come without drawbacks though - there's no feasible way to use the PSP kit as a footstand, a service for which DTLs were perfectly designed. On the flipside, it's actually possible to put the kit on a table withtout fear of the table collapsing under its weight, the constant danger with the DTLs...

Shock resistance of the controllers(the PSP with a wire sticking out of it) seems improved over DualShock2 - although I admit I only tried dropping it on the floor once so far.

Anyway - the software side is a step up in pretty much every way, we've actually had working debuggers from the get go, many of the SDK tools are available for windows right away, tech support response is very prompt, etc.

Fafalada said:
Smaller size doesn't come without drawbacks though - there's no feasible way to use the PSP kit as a footstand, a service for which DTLs were perfectly designed. On the flipside, it's actually possible to put the kit on a table withtout fear of the table collapsing under its weight, the constant danger with the DTLs...

:LOL:!

Thanks for the impressions, Fafalada. Sounds like a rather fine piece of kit. I heard they've taken quite some security precautions as well, like not allowing running the dev hardware before going through a challenge/response ritual against an SCEI server. Good/bad?

london-boy said:

I've heard that the DS has poor insulation on the top screen so whatever is displayed by the top screen can be picked up(with a very poor quality signal that's mostly static) by tvs using RF.

For consumers (and gaming sites) there's the GBA Player, but its interlaced output is too crappy to give me any CRT kicks.

I thought it's interlaced was pretty good, though I think the progressive mode has some filtering applies...actually I think just the 2x mode has filtering, but all those old nes ports on gamecube has bilinear filtering or something applied when viewed in p-scan which really make them stand out from the interlaced versions.

I recall at one point, before the GBA player there was a device made specifically for taking direct feed footage from the GameBoy Advance.

Wideboy Advance, cost like $500 and plugged into the N64.

Could WIFI be fast enough to transmit a 320x240(or whatever res they use) image?

Fox5 said:
For consumers (and gaming sites) there's the GBA Player, but its interlaced output is too crappy to give me any CRT kicks.
I thought it's interlaced was pretty good, though I think the progressive mode has some filtering applies...actually I think just the 2x mode has filtering, but all those old nes ports on gamecube has bilinear filtering or something applied when viewed in p-scan which really make them stand out from the interlaced versions.
Well, the issue for me is that there's not a single game nowadays that use the good old "240p" mode that works on all TV sets. The GBA Player, the Megaman Anniversary compilation, the PS2 Metal Slugs etc, all would have looked just like they're supposed to in that mode. I really don't get why the devs won't even include it as an option.

I'm glad most vertical shoot'em ups still have the option, though...

VNZ said:
Fox5 said:
Well, the issue for me is that there's not a single game nowadays that use the good old "240p" mode that works on all TV sets. The GBA Player, the Megaman Anniversary compilation, the PS2 Metal Slugs etc, all would have looked just like they're supposed to in that mode. I really don't get why the devs won't even include it as an option.

I'm glad most vertical shoot'em ups still have the option, though...

240P works on TVs? How's that work?

And I don't recall Ikaruga having that option....

I don't understand what kind of difference that would make, or how an interlaced screen would display progressive(n64, saturn, and psx had no progressive games...) or why it looks wrong interlaced when the games often look as good as or better than they did when they were originally released. Hmm...I wouldn't mind a 320x240 mode for the gameboy player though, as I have a gamecube lcd screen and it's almost perfect for 320x240 sources(like n64 or 2d systems) however it blurs really badly with 640x480 sources which includes the gameboy player and any other software on the gamecube. Sucks that I'm forced to play gba games on my gba when going portable...hey, it would be nice to have a larger backlit screen to play on and not have to bring along a gba at all, but metroid zero mission becomes a blurry mess.

Fox5 said:
240P works on TVs? How's that work?
I just dubbed the mode "240p", it wasn't really called anything back in the day since it was the standard videogame resolution up until Dreamcast. A few PlayStation and Saturn game ran interlaced, but then they were the exception and their graphics were dubbed "hi-res" or similar.

On a technical level it works by identifying every field as odd, resulting in a stable image with very visible scanlines.

Fox5 said:
And I don't recall Ikaruga having that option....

No, Ikaruga was a Naomi port so a low res option wouldn't really make sense. In most cases where the arcade ran in normal resolution, like DoDonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou and Espgaluda, the console ports have still had the option.

Fox5 said:
I don't understand what kind of difference that would make, or how an interlaced screen would display progressive(n64, saturn, and psx had no progressive games...) or why it looks wrong interlaced when the games often look as good as or better than they did when they were originally released.
You basically answer the quesion in the next paragraph:

Fox5 said:
Hmm...I wouldn't mind a 320x240 mode for the gameboy player though, as I have a gamecube lcd screen and it's almost perfect for 320x240 sources(like n64 or 2d systems) however it blurs really badly with 640x480 sources which includes the gameboy player and any other software on the gamecube.
The GBA Player issue really nagged me since I was used to play GBA games on a TV at 320*240 at work and had hoped the GBA Player would give me the same experience at home...

Back