CONFIRMED: PS3 to use "Nvidia-based Graphics processor&

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tysan said:
And btw ATI has never done a console graphic chip!! And is designing the Gpu for bot Rev and Xenon!!! Shocker news!!!
You probably never saw the big red sticker on every Gamecube ;) Technically not ATI, but now they are.

Megadrive1988 said:
Tommy:
One thing that makes me wonder, is what led Sony to go this route instead of going at it alone?

pretty simple IMO. because Sony knows it graphics engineering capability is no where near that of Nvidia, at least in certain areas, so, best to get Nvidia on board. it makes perfect sense. match Sony's strong areas (computational power, bandwidth, manufacturing/fab process tech) with Nvidia's strong areas (texture mapping, features, shaders, image quality)

I wasn't necessarily meaning NVIDIA specifically. I was talking about Sony going outside the company for graphics technology. I assumed that Sony was OK with using their own technology. Are internal or outside forces responsible for Sony's turn around? If so, what were they? Did their own graphics processor fail to work as they had planned and they had no other choice? Or did competition from Nintendo and Microsoft influence their decision? Is it possible that had Microsoft decided not to design the Xbox2 that Sony might not have seeked outside help for graphics?

Tommy McClain

thop said:
Tysan said:
And btw ATI has never done a console graphic chip!! And is designing the Gpu for bot Rev and Xenon!!! Shocker news!!!
You probably never saw the big red sticker on every Gamecube ;) Technically not ATI, but now they are.

Hahaha, I allready know it, but fact is that theres no ATI technology in the flipper, ArtX couldnt take advantage of ATIs Ips because the chip was allready finished when ATI bought ArtX.

They did put a nice sticker though ;)

Of course ArtX crew now works at ATI, my comment just was an ironic reply to Nvidia/expensive/xbox/chip bit.

McFly said:
They completly canceled their next GPU (NV50) not long ago, so this new (Cell?) GPU will be their real new GPU.

Fredi

Did nVIDIA really cancel NV50 (or VN48 for that matter)?
A few days ago this was just a rumour from the Inq.
Did i miss something?

rendezvous said:

Nvidia's NV50 canned

New things to come

By Fuad Abazovic: Friday 03 December 2004, 13:57
WE ARE told that Nvidia's next gen chip NV50 has been canned as well as the NV48 chip we reported on earlier in the week. I guess both were not fitting well into Nvidia's picture.

We don’t have any idea as yet what lead to such a decision, but Nvidia does apparently think it's now time to make its next breakthrough chip.

All we know is that Nvidia made a huge u-turn or a right turn in its roadmap as Intel describes it, and we don’t yet know where that leads.

We also know that Nvidia is very dedicated to win the graphic fight and to move away from the deadly embrace with ATI. In the current generation, it's not important what you get as both Nvidia and ATI cards are performing almost identically.

Nvidia still strongly believes that SLI is something that will become very important in the future. µ

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20034

Fredi

Tysan said:
Tuttle said:
Tysan said:
wow wow!! Calm down a bit, it was only a funny coment ;)

Dont take it too serious, but its a fact that Sony has had to switch from a internal only graphic chip development to a joint venture with one of todays Graphic power houses and IMHO its a very wise decision, GS has some very good specs that makes up for its flaws but this kind of joint development with Nvidia can help Sony make a better balanced chip with less effort and probably better results than working alone.

And they should have done it earlier, I would have loved to see PSP Gpu designed with some Nvidias Ips to achieve good pixel shaders performance for example instead of the actual GS portable that even if its more balanced than Ps2 GS could have been better with this kind of colaboration.

So Sony needs lessons from NVIDIA who's only experience in the console market was the ridiculously costly desktop computer GPU bolted on to the xbox? Right...

So now you need experience in the console market to make good GPUs?

Thats new to me ;)

[And btw ATI has never done a console graphic chip!! And is designing the Gpu for bot Rev and Xenon!!! Shocker news!!!]

Do you think the GPU NVIDIA made for the xbox was a good console GPU?

Tuttle said:
Tysan said:
Tuttle said:
Tysan said:
wow wow!! Calm down a bit, it was only a funny coment ;)

Dont take it too serious, but its a fact that Sony has had to switch from a internal only graphic chip development to a joint venture with one of todays Graphic power houses and IMHO its a very wise decision, GS has some very good specs that makes up for its flaws but this kind of joint development with Nvidia can help Sony make a better balanced chip with less effort and probably better results than working alone.

And they should have done it earlier, I would have loved to see PSP Gpu designed with some Nvidias Ips to achieve good pixel shaders performance for example instead of the actual GS portable that even if its more balanced than Ps2 GS could have been better with this kind of colaboration.

So Sony needs lessons from NVIDIA who's only experience in the console market was the ridiculously costly desktop computer GPU bolted on to the xbox? Right...

So now you need experience in the console market to make good GPUs?

Thats new to me ;)

[And btw ATI has never done a console graphic chip!! And is designing the Gpu for bot Rev and Xenon!!! Shocker news!!!]

Do you think the GPU NVIDIA made for the xbox was a good console GPU?

do you think it was MS who set the target design specs for the entire system or nVidia?

edit: what the hell is a console gpu anyways?

Hahaha, I allready know it, but fact is that theres no ATI technology in the flipper, ArtX couldnt take advantage of ATIs Ips because the chip was allready finished when ATI bought ArtX.

They did put a nice sticker though Wink

Of course ArtX crew now works at ATI, my comment just was an ironic reply to Nvidia/expensive/xbox/chip bit.

all true. ATI didn't make Flipper at all.

Flipper's roots began in 1997 or 1998, when Nintendo's deal with Samsung over CagEnt (3DO Systems) for the MX technology (beefed up M2) fell through. ArtX was a group of SGI engineers who broke away from SGI, for the main purpose of winning the Nintendo console contract. when Nintendo's deal for MX which would have been used with MIPS CPU in N2000 launching in fall 1999 in Japan, fell through, Nintendo turned to ArtX. by mid 1998 ArtX was fully underway with their console GPU for Nintendo. working with Nintendo to select a CPU provider. in May 1999 Dolphin is announced with IBM as the CPU provider. Flipper is finished by early 2000 to mid 2000. in April 2000 its announced that ATI is acquiring ArtX for $400 mil. ArtX finishes anything more remaining on Flipper. August 2000 the Gamecube is revealed and hardware is done or about done. meanwhile ArtX team inside ATI is working on R300. that's about all i know, but its clear that ATI didn't make Flipper, only they put their logo on every Cube :) by 2001 or at the latest 2002, an ATI with a far better engineering base thanks to ArtX and part of Real3D is working on nextgen Nintendo graphics for console and probably handheld also. and also Xenon graphics.

McFly said:
rendezvous said:

Nvidia's NV50 canned

New things to come

WE ARE told that Nvidia's next gen chip NV50 has been canned as well as the NV48 chip we reported on earlier in the week. I guess both were not fitting well into Nvidia's picture.

We don’t have any idea as yet what lead to such a decision, but Nvidia does apparently think it's now time to make its next breakthrough chip.

All we know is that Nvidia made a huge u-turn or a right turn in its roadmap as Intel describes it, and we don’t yet know where that leads.

We also know that Nvidia is very dedicated to win the graphic fight and to move away from the deadly embrace with ATI. In the current generation, it's not important what you get as both Nvidia and ATI cards are performing almost identically.

Nvidia still strongly believes that SLI is something that will become very important in the future. µ

Fredi

Just like ATI canned the original R400 so it could use it to design the Xbox2 vpu, did Nvidia can the NV50 so it could use it to design the PS3 gpu?

McFly said:
rendezvous said:

Nvidia's NV50 canned

New things to come

Fredi

wow, now we're quoting theinq for truth

in Faud we trust....

Just like ATI canned the original R400 so it could use it to design the Xbox2 vpu, did Nvidia can the NV50 so it could use it to design the PS3 gpu?
no, because this has been in the works for a lot more than the time since NV50 was delayed/cancelled/whatever you want to call it.

McFly said:
function said:
I find it interesting that the GeForce GPU he mentions is their "next generation" GPU. Could it be that he literally means the generation after the Nv4XX? Is that expected to be a particularly revolutionary architecture? Would separate vertex shaders in a console with a CPU as fast as Cell even be necessary?

They completly canceled their next GPU (NV50) not long ago, so this new (Cell?) GPU will be their real new GPU.

Fredi

Hmm... could it be a last minute action.. so NV50 = PS3's GPU ?

rendezvous said:
Did you even read the whole post i made?
I stated that it was a rumour from the inq.
That means that i don't want a quote of the very same rumour. :rolleyes:

Damn! :?

Sorry, I've read it elsewhere as well, but google found me the inq and I was a bit lazy. Of course the question now is if the other news sources just quoted the inq or not.

Fredi

gofreak at GAF says:

OK, I chanced my arm again with NVidia's PR, and was told this:

"Although we cannot comment on technical details, I can tell you that the
GPU is a custom version of NVIDIA's next generation GPU, which is not
Cell based."

edit:

I asked him to clarify if he meant both Nvidia's next-gen GPU and the PS3 GPU would not be cell-based and he replied:

"I can just comment on NVIDIA's next generation GPU which is not cell
based."

Which presumably still leaves the door open to cell tech making its way into the GPU. Although NVidia's PC cards won't be cell-based, at least not for the immediate future.

I also asked about whether any nvidia chip was included in the cell workstations which had been delivered to developers, but he said he couldn't answer that.

..... and the MS counter attack is...: DUAL VPU CORE... *bwa ha ha*.. ;)

What Im wondering is how much the PS3 will retail for..
Let´s see.. we have a "alleged" (or supposed) power of 1 TFLOP for the CPU, an Nvidia GPU, add some XDR memory to it and other stuff.. and let us say that PS3 is released in Mars 2006 (if its true that it will follow a similar release-schedule that od PS2)... how much would this cost?
We can forget an 299 dollar price mark, or maybe Sony will take that loss (plus the loss for every PSP)...

The pricing will be important as well... but I must say that this news puts some pressure on Microsoft....

Given the similar timescales involved, has anyone considered the possibility that this could be the same GPU (or variant of) that MS chose not to use for Xenon (for either licencing or technical reasons)?

I have no idea how likely that could be, but if it were to be the case it would make the next generation battle interesting on even more grounds.

bbot said:

Is that why ATI canned the R400? That's not the impression I got from reading B3D - more features than were needed vs too little performance was what I'd come to understand as the reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back