NV40 supports 3Dc

Ruby's not working with 3danalyze. I dont want to use the benchmark software though. Since it disables compression. Meh wonder if colorlous's tweak will work.

DaveBaumann said:
If its licensed as part of WGF2.0 then there is a very good chance it will have future hardware support.

Good to know. But Nvidia does seem to be playing with it a bit early.

ballero said:
We need 3Dc also with (future) 512MB video cards?

You mean:
a) Will 512MB cards have quality improvement replacing DXT5 normal maps with 3DC?
or
b) Will artists be able to fill an 512MB cards with textures - even when normalmaps are stored in 8-bit?

Anyway, the answer is yes to both questions.

Running the 3dc-demo here with a 6800U and forceware 70.41 (the holy grail) I get the soft edges with 3dc and there is a 5% gain with 3dc too!

How much gain are X800-users getting?

DaveBaumann said:
I suspect that 512MB cards will be in the high end minority for a fair while as well!
Memory sizes tend to filter down to low-end parts more quickly than anything else in the high-end space, since there's still this perception that the amount of memory a video card has is the primary determination of performance.

Chalnoth said:
DaveBaumann said:
I suspect that 512MB cards will be in the high end minority for a fair while as well!
Memory sizes tend to filter down to low-end parts more quickly than anything else in the high-end space, since there's still this perception that the amount of memory a video card has is the primary determination of performance.
Oh man, wasn't there a 256MB 5200 or something silly like that? :oops: :LOL:

Skinner said:
Running the 3dc-demo here with a 6800U and forceware 70.41 (the holy grail) I get the soft edges with 3dc and there is a 5% gain with 3dc too!

220~ DXT 310 3Dc
32% gain, not bad :D

DOGMA1138 said:
Skinner said:

220~ DXT 310 3Dc
32% gain, not bad :D

That's guite a diference yes. I did the test with 16xAF, I'll check it without.

Dude, you're making a message board post, not a cell-phone text message. Please use a little bit of grammar. :rolleyes:

*cheers for Chalnoth (cause she's so hot when she tells someone what's what)*

Chalnoth said:
Dude, you're making a message board post, not a cell-phone text message. Please use a little bit of grammar. :rolleyes:
:cry: ok :cry:

Sage said:
*cheers for Chalnoth (cause she's so hot when
she tells someone what's what)
i actualy lowerd my screen res to 640/480 so i could read the "fine print" only to find an inside joke that i didnt get :cry:

both of you made me cry - i want my momy :cry:
oh and in case you where wondering...
yes, i am a mentaly unstable idiot so feel free to disreguard my post/s :LOL:

Chalnoth said:
DaveBaumann said:
Actually, memory sizes do not seem to "trickle down". 256MB was first present on ultra-high-end cards, and interestingly, low-end cards followed quickly. That's actually still the case today, mid-end cards still only have 128MB (things like 6600GT, X700XT).
The reason is that fast fbga memory is expensive, and large capacities aren't really available (the first 256mbit fbga chips for graphic cards were actually dual-die 2x128mbit chips, don't know if that's still the case). So it actually costs a significant amount of money to have large memory sizes on high-end cards (might also make board layout more difficult if more chips are needed).
Compare that to the low-end boards: they use ordinary, slow tsop memory. The cheapest ($/MB) you can get there is 256mbit chips (nowadays, all 256MB and 512MB pc dimms use them). And for a 128bit mem-bus board you need 8 chips anyway, and so the cost increase of using 8 256mbit instead of 8 128mbit chips is fairly minimal. Only ultra-low-end cards need only 4 chips (64bit memory interface).
Unless someone starts producing 512mbit gddr3 memory (actually, since fbga chips are 32bit wide, manufacturers would prefer 1gbit chips so they'd need only 4 chips for 512MB 128bit cards) I would not expect 512MB memory size to trickle down. Low-end (or "low-mid-end" like 6600) cards might get 512MB though fairly soon (since 512mbit tsop ddr/ddr2 chips are already readily available at decent prices) - not that it would make sense, but uninformed people might prefer a 512MB 6200 to a 128MB 6600GT :(.

Considering we won't have any 512MB cards for another few months yet, at least, 512MB low-end cards probably won't arrive until late next year. That should be well within line with memory densities.

what can you do with Low-end 512mb card? some one should come with a way to use the card`s ram as system memory, that can realy be usefull IMO
with PCIe CPU read should be fast enough, and with the high speed and bandwidth of your tipical card, if you could use it for a swap file, etc, you can get some great preformance boost.

Back