How does the RMA system work?

Leto

Newcomer
I'm curious about the RMA system in USA. Is it in the law, or is it a standard in the business? What rights does it give the consumer?

Not all biz do it from my experience. You get a # then you go to the shipper with it and its not supposed to cost you anything to ship it out. Usually you need a cc # in case they ship a new part right away and you end up not shipping the bad part back and they give ya usualy 30 days or so to ship it back else your cc gets charged...

I guessed that..

What I could extract from his post was:
-It's not in the law, it's a service commonly given consumers.

Can you return a good if you regret the buy? What if it's unwrapped? For how long?

I'm curious because I feel like I'm being screwed over some ram I bought that doesn't work. It cost me 100$, the store wants to test it, if they don't find a problem with it they'll charge me 80$, if they do I can either get the full price in return minus 10% (90$) or get something else.

If I don't do anything I'll loose 100$ if I send it in I'll get 90$ but with a considerable risk of loosing 80$. I've been through something similar before where I assembled a machine myself with all parts from the store in question except for the ram, which I bought in another store, the computer started acting up and I send it in to the place where I bought 90% of the parts and they of course found that the ram was faulty, that knowledge costed me 100$, so I am kinda afraid of just bringing it in for checks.

Any Danish lawyers in here that can tell me if this is legal? I understand it's usually not allowed to charge a fee for testing an object to see if it's broken, but with technically advanced goods it apparently is allowed, but I can't find that part anywhere in the law.. Also as far as I can understand if the good I've bought has a flaw I'm entitled to either getting it fixed, replaced or all my money back not just 90%.

Which brings me to my interest in the RMA because it seems like you yanks can just return wares whenever you feel like and it's no problem.

Software usually cant be returned. Nnles it was never opened. Some let that and other things get reuturned but you have maybe like 7 days or some very short period of time. Policies vary a lot from seller to seller. Many do have 15% restocking fees but man your reseller is garbage. If the ram is bad they should replace it free of charge end of story if its still under warranty.

Assuming your from denmark then, well it goes something along these lines, though I hardly ever bother reading the actual law..

Within 6 month of the purchase, you can demand to get an item replaced (or repaired), unless the store can prove that there was not a manufacturing fault with that item.

Which in most cases is not possible, since noone can really tell if there was or not, and no they cannot charge you for proving that, whether they do prove it or not.

If they do not live up to that, then you can file a complaint agianst them, but I have no clue how that system work.

Back