EA next gen teaser (two pics & some talk)

london-boy said:
Built-in Eyetoy? And where am i supposed to put the PS3? On top of my TV?

Well if they turn their E3 presentation with the IR -Eyetoy camera/sensors into reality, you'd only need to place your PS3 near your TV set.
But I doubt that'll happen...

hupfinsgack said:
london-boy said:

Well if they turn their E3 presentation with the IR -Eyetoy camera/sensors into reality, you'd only need to place your PS3 near your TV set.
But I doubt that'll happen...

... But what if i don't play games facing the screen... usually?

london-boy said:

Well it can be "built-in" out of the console, with wires (or wireless) so you can put anyhere.

I dont have time now to schearch for a link but in gamespot you should find it ( and the a hint about PS4 too, really)

Well, that's there already...? But about the AI predicting whatever, i'll have to see that in action to believe it. In the end, whatever the programmers do, we are always smarter than whateveer AI they come up to. As long as the AI doesn't cheat.

Agree.

You can get that madden image today from an r420 or nv40.

The game is rendering 2 chars . At the max it would be what 16 . a field with grass and then from the picture it looks like the stadium is blurred out .

Don't see whats so big about either of those pics . High res textures can make things look purdy

thop said:
EA sure is gonna fool all Madden fans. I guess at CES Bill will show a movie of Madden 2006 on XBOX2 (realtime, i promise!), and all the fans will freak out.

Well I've bought Madden each of the last 3 years, for online play more than anything else.

Looks like the consensus is that that Madden image has to be prerendered or not likely in real time. It doesn't make a difference either way because in a football game, you could only see that detail during the cinematics/cutaways for replays or maybe zoomed in on a manual replay.

For people into multiplayer, they dismiss those cinema replays after viewing them for the first few times. You don't have ANY replays online.

So more than likely, the commonly used gameplay camera angles will not look as dramatically better as this close-up shot, because those angles are really zoomed out.

But some sports gamers will still like them, esp. those who play singleplayer and like to watch for tatoos or Riddell logos and such.

You wonder if EA is guessing at what's possible or if they are actually privy to some preliminary specs. They should have some idea with Xenon at least, if it's really launching in 2005. (Though I'm of the opinion that if they choose the PS3 as their lead target platform, they may not debut a new engine with Xenon or at worst, they will port their engine from the PS3 to the rest).

The story has interesting sidelight about micro-transactions for online. That implies plenty of affordable local storage and micro-transactions is what Kaz Hirai of Sony played up at E3 2004, rather than a subscription online model like XBL. EA's Pogo efforts have bombed and Sims Online doesn't seem to be setting the world on fire so their subscription ventures haven't worked out. However, they're talking about subscriptions for emerging markets like China where given rampant piracy, their best way to get revenues may be to require online subscriptions.

pc999 said:
london-boy said:
Well it's gonna be the "same" game anyway, just with better graphics... We're talking about EA, remember.

It's will "look" like a new game, but then as the next gen kicks in, it will stay like that. Until the next gen comes along, when they will update the graphics again.

I am not a sports fan but I hope that they dont do that, they need to make things from the start, why not put new ideas ( they should have some, right ? :LOL: ), use phisics, AI, or anything, even this being a sports, if not they could face some competition, if I remember well MS was looking for serios AI programers for sports games which would predict player actions (meybe for XNA) that could add a ever diferent gameplay or just play.

Anyway I think that the primary force of inovation will be inputs, PS3 will have Eyetoy built-in , Nitendo ? , but it will be harder for MS that is more PC centric had PC does not change in 10+ years.

AS a sports gamer, I am hoping for more than upgraded graphics. Physics in particular would be great (remember what Bing Gordon claimed).

Current sports games, motion capture is all the rage and while you get a lot of fluid animations, there is really no physics and 180 pound cornerbacks can stop 240 pound running backs (who are running full speed) right in their tracks and knock them flat on their asses. That is because all events are based on those mo-cap animations, not physics.

That means the game control is delayed at times too.

The first PS2 sports games, while beautiful to look at compared to the previous generation, lacked a lot of features. Probably because most of the development work went to the graphics engine. So you had Tiger Woods with only 3 courses while the PS1 version had way more. Lot of gameplay bugs reappeared too when they'd been stamped out by the end of the previous generation.

The focus will be mostly on graphics at first.

"Imagine that the characters in a football will be capable of showing real emotion," he said, among other possibilities. "That's what's going to be possible with the next generation of technology."

You can easily show emotion in football games now...it all has to do with hand gestures and body language. That can be done with nearly all models now.

In a football game..players have on what we call HELMETS, how in the world are they planning on showing that emotion. Plus half the time you aren't even up close. I can see it happening in a FPS or RPG but football is just not the place to put it.

Stopping the game after a catch to show the receiver/defenders face just won't cut it, folks are trying to select their next play before the play clock runs down.

I'm sure it during touch downs it might be cool, but it's just a gimmic not adding that much to the gameplay.

If he changed Football to basketball that would be great.
Speng.

With some small degrades to the lighting, the Madden picture is completely believable....this is the minimal graphical horsepower increase that the average gamer will expect to justify spending $300 on a new console. Especially considering the visuals in Doom 3, Half Life 2, GT4, Halo 2 and Conker to name a few.

The NFS picture is just plain bad....that level of visuals just won't move new hardware.

And since we are on the subject of visuals I just want to say this:

There is no way in hell that the Xbox will use an R500 chip...no way. It just won't deliver the performance needed to complete with the 2006 consoles. Now an R600 chip (or something similar) would be much more likely. I say this because if the R500 where used, the Xenon would be graphically "outdated" before it is even released. Trust me on this...R600 performance out of the Xenon graphics engine....absolutely. Need more convincing....look at the Xbox. When announced about a year before it was released they said it would have a Geforce 3 (2 generations beyond what was out at the time...Geforce 256). Annoucing Xenon with R500 would be one generation ahead....R600 or something like it.

Cheers!

I think MS has the right idea for future Xenon games. Games like Forza Motorsports already have the physics down pat. The graphics will be the easy part when transitioning to Xenon since it's a bunch of CAD models from the car manufacturers anyway.

Haven't people on this very board said the R600 would be the desktop part for the R500 in Xenon?

Anyhow, I hope they stress the importance of art assets in next gen development. The 2nd pic demonstrates how a game could be technically competent and still end up looking like a low budget saturday morning CG cartoon.

isn't that a bit too highend?
we are talking about a gameconsole who will have a supercomputer cpu with multicores and a next next generation GFX chipset and a lot more stuff inside a 299$ gameconsole (or 399EURO console :? )

There is no way in hell that the Xbox will use an R500 chip...no way. It just won't deliver the performance needed to complete with the 2006 consoles.

Considering that the r420 is a 500$ chip at its top speeds and ati pushed aside the r400 (which the r500 is based off of ) because they felt it was to ambitous means the r500 is going to be leaps and bounds ahead of both the r420 and most likely the r520 the next part in the pc sector .

Not only that but every ati chip since the r300 has supported multi chip set ups if ms feels they must do it , they could allways add a second r500 .

WHich i doubt they will do .

Ms may not have the most powerfull system this time around (At least in specs ) but they may have a much cheaper system than sony this time around .

hey69 said:
isn't that a bit too highend?
we are talking about a gameconsole who will have a supercomputer cpu with multicores and a next next generation GFX chipset and a lot more stuff inside a 299$ gameconsole (or 399EURO console :? )
If they dollar stays as low as it is now against the euro, importing next-gen consoles may be a viable option (in spite of import tax / VAT)...

Back