New Ruby and Crytek Demo for Download

tEd said:
showing off the engine what it is capable of and get money from it ;)

They doing alot of such things. Sometimes they team up with ati doing this and then team up with nvidia and doing that. It's a win win situation. They get good PR for the game(farcry) and engine (which they wanna license) and on top of it they can please both major IHV and fanboys of theirs :rolleyes:

I remember 4 years ago reading about PS2 and their claimes that games will look like the movies in final fantasy games and the truth is far from that.I also remember microsoft showing demo for XBOX of a girl and giant robot claiming all games will have that level of graphics,and again it was all bull
I'm not shure what that rant was all about :) ,but I feel all this demos are in a way intended for purposely deceiving the general public

With regards to precision, thinking about the developer relations point, I shot this across to Richard Huddy:

Could you tell me one thing: do ATI currently advocate the use of Partial Precision hints to developers as a "good thing" or do you just gloss over them as they are of no benefit to you?

To which his reply was:

The most you could really say is that we point out to developers that they may get mis-directed by NVIDIA from time to time recommending partial precision where it gains performance but sacrifices image quality. If you hunt around you could probably find a presentation that I have given where I talk about being careful that you keep quality high - but we don't aggressively deprecate partial precision.

Personally I think it's a shame that partial precision is in the spec - to be honest.

I think that sums up a number of the opinions on it within ATI, and given that Richard will be evangelising for future use just as much as current use that gives a pretty good clue as to the direction they are taking IMO.

The Crytek demo is amazing, Nvidia should learn something from ATI and get some comparable demo crew cause Crytek and RhinoFX are kicking their asses.

Though the sequel to Ruby is a bit dull and not as technically impressive as the original, I think your right about it being done in-house Dave. There are some very obvious rough textures. They basicly just took the Ruby model put her on a bike and sent her down a dark tunnel.

Leto said:
The Crytek demo is amazing, Nvidia should learn something from ATI and get some comparable demo crew cause Crytek and RhinoFX are kicking their asses.

Funny you should say that for I think it was Ati who learned from Nvidia about the quite excellent Crytek team. Shame if X-Isle says nothing to you, I really gasped at its brilliance with my geforce 3 ti200 at the time :)

I remember X-isle :p

large03.jpg

I've just browsed through a similar thread over at the OcUK Forums, where one of the users mentions that the scenes depicted in the X850/CryTek Tech Demo were part of/were the original FarCry introduction sequence, which were then changed.

Anyone have any more info on this?

BrynS

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
kyleb said:
In the Crytek demo, did anyone try enableing 3dc? I am using an x800xt-pe with the 4.11s and it crashes with "EXCEPTION_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION àÒ."

I got the same thing on the 4.11 drivers, but I wasn't prepared to grumble about it as I had a load of other memory hungry apps running in the background which might have caused the problem. If it is something that is fixed in the 4.12 drivers, those should be out in the next week or so.
I'm getting it using the 4.12betas. :?

digitalwanderer said:
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
kyleb said:
In the Crytek demo, did anyone try enableing 3dc? I am using an x800xt-pe with the 4.11s and it crashes with "EXCEPTION_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION àÒ."

I got the same thing on the 4.11 drivers, but I wasn't prepared to grumble about it as I had a load of other memory hungry apps running in the background which might have caused the problem. If it is something that is fixed in the 4.12 drivers, those should be out in the next week or so.
I'm getting it using the 4.12betas. :?
i don't have problems running 4.12 betas

29.61 fps with 1024x768 4xAA

Water shader didn't seem to work and I suspect the depth of field effect is somewhat borked too

JigenD said:
Interesting, when I 'force high precision shaders' and 'NV40 fix for R420 demos' in 3dAnalize now the new Ruby demo WORKS on my GF6800GT!

Which driver version you use? I seem to be getting an exception caught error on both the old and new ruby on the latest beta forcewares...

Not really. But the point being is that if they were going to get a speed-up from partial precision in, say, 6 months time then they would be evangelising to developers to actively use it now. Thats as clear an indication that you are going to publically get at the moment that they will be going single precision FP32 throughout the pipeline.

DaveBaumann said:
Not really. But the point being is that if they were going to get a speed-up from partial precision in, say, 6 months time then they would be evangelising to developers to actively use it now. Thats as clear an indication that you are going to publically get at the moment that they will be going single precision FP32 throughout the pipeline.

I've had a feeling ati's next part (r520) would be full fp32 for a long time. I just hope it is the r520 and not the r600 cause thats a wait.

Does anyone have any idea why the water (shader?) is effectively ATI-specific?

The effect on the surface looks like it's low res. Someone was saying earlier about the render targets being 512x512. Is the water some glorified ATI-specific render target?

Jawed

Back