Xbox Must Haves?

Hi,

I'm likely to get an Xbox for Christmas (not much of a console boy but I thought I'd give one a try).

In the UK the Xbox is going for around £99 with one controller.

So some questions:

Where are the best deals on Xbox in the UK a the moment please?

What are the must haves in terms of accessories and games on the Xbox platform?

Thanks in advance

Tino

DOA 3
Ninja Gaiden
Halo (1&2)
Rallisport: Challenge 2
Chronicles of Riddick
KOTOR

Cheers
Gubbi

Others -

Panzer Dragoon Orta: pure shoot-em-up with tactical depth, inspiring presentation

Jet Set Radio Future: innovative cross between action and platforming, creative all-around

GUNVALKYRIE: a test of dexterity for flowing, acrobatic shooter combat

Shenmue II (also on Dreamcast): a martial arts-adventure epic set in the world of Hong Kong

Morrowind Game of the Year Edition - Elder Scrolls III (also on PC): vast, non-linear RPG with countless ways to progress and develop

Otogi 1 & 2: sword slashing action in destructible environments

OutRun 2: fast, over-the-top arcade racing to beat the clock and various driving challenges

Toe Jam and Earl III: variety action game that's a lot of fun for two players cooperatively

I'm only going to list xbox or console-only stuff 'cause games like morrowind are much better on PC, IMO. (omg teh horror @ naming savegames & items in morrowind on xbox :( ).

halo 1 & 2
Mechassualt
DOA

I know I'm forgetting some stuff. . .early . . .more coffee..

Hmmm, Lazy8s you really like all those Sega games don't you.

Halo 1 & 2
Splinter Cell
Mech Assault
KOTOR

But the item I use most on the XBox is XBox Media Center and also MAME occasionally. Really there isn't many games that are must haves or even worth bothering with :(

Edit: Hmmm, since you don't have a console yet I would really recommend a PS2 or GCN. I find those are much better systems with fair amount of good games on both. Then again you could have tastes completely different from me :p

Halo 1/2
Knights of the Old Republic
Ninja Gaiden
Project Gotham Racing 2
Rallisport Challenge 2

And if you're into counter terrorisim rah rah America games, then Splinter Cell/Ghost Recon/Rainbow Six games are good too.

The only game from SEGA that is a must have on Lazy's list is PDO. The others are just there if you are fans of the genres those games are in. I will say this. Stay away from Toe Jam & Earl 3. That game is trash.

I agree with KOTOR as that is one fine RPG.

Crimson Skies is another favorite of mine. I just can't seem to get enough of it. I hope there will be a sequel.

Amped 2 is a great snowboarding game if you're into that sort of thing. It is definitely not a must have if you aren't a fan though.

Project Gotham Racing 2 is a fun game that has a wide variety of cars. If you're into arcade racing then it is a must have,

A lot of the things that were listed, and Fable, Burnout 3 (the fastest, funnest and most unrealistic racer), Top Spin (completely awesome tennis game) and Prince of Persia Sands of Time (and possibly the newer one).

Oh yeah and for accessories I'd try to get the Advanced SCART cable because it has noticeably better image quality than the standard composite cable. And it also has an optical output for Dolby Digital if that's any concern.

Halo 1 & 2
Project Gotham Racing 2
Rallisport Challenge 2
Ninja Gaiden
Jet Set Radio Future
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Crimson Skies
MechAssault
Splinter Cell 1 & 2
Dead or Alive: Ultimate
Fable
Top Spin
Amped 2
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Those are all AAA quality games for the Xbox.

Best accessory I own for my Xbox:

Logitech Cordless Precision Controller - $40 at local Wal-Mart here in the states

Another must have:

Dolby Digital 5.1 sound system

Are you considering going with Xbox Live? There would be another list of must haves(games and accessories) for that.

Tommy McClain

I also think that getting a decent 5.1 sound system is a good idea if you can afford it. It adds a lot to your gaming experience. I found that the majority of "AAA" games on Xbox are not worth buying because they don't hold my interest after about 30 minutes of play.

Games that are must have on xbox are Ninja Gaiden and Outrun 2
Xbox media center is also exceptional.

If you like rpgs, then Knights of the Old Republic, Arx and Morrowind are quite good

Toe Jam and Earl III is manic platform, combat, and logic puzzle solving through the management of assorted fun gadgets like spring shoes, rocket skates, icarus wings and the like.

If you still have the Virtua Tennis games, you could probably pass on Top Spin unless you're going to take advantage of Xbox Live. While Top Spin is one of the better tennis games around, its play control and animation are not the perfect smoothness that the Virtua games are.

I was mentioning a variety of other great Xbox choices in addition to those already mentioned. The must-haves for some of the genres specified would be:

Beat-em-up, Ninja Gaiden - This is really the pinnacle of action gaming of the beat-em-up kind. Combat flows fluidly yet remains responsive, similar to Soul Calibur. Movement and pivoting in 3D while fighting is, for once, actually intuitive with no annoying targeting mechanics to deal with. The depth of moves and enemy counters almost reach that of one-on-one fighting game. Expertly crafted execution and polish all the way through.

Fighting, Dead or Alive Ultimate - Soul Calibur II and Dead or Alive 3 are good, but neither really provide much of a new experience if you've already playd their prequels on Dreamcast. Where Dead or Alive Ultimate comes out ahead is in the addition of an Xbox Live online mode that plays just about as smooth as offline matches, impressively.

FPS, Halo 1 & 2 - Obviously.

I dont agree, topspin is the best tennis game on the market. I have played virtua tennis 1 + 2 for hours and hours and hours, and the xbox one is more or less similar with better gfx and player customizability (though the AI still sucks like virtua tennis2, but its amazing with friends).

Thanks folks... :D

I've not heard of the Xbox media centre so I'll check that out too.

I have a broadband connection so Xbox live might be doable. Is it a subscription service or is it free?

Back