Longest you've been without sleep.

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
Just wondering, cause i have not slept for about 30 hours.

Went clubbing after work yesterday, after-hour, then straight into the office from the after. Looking fab i must say.

Not exactly sure how i'm doing this, but it sure doesn't feel right.

thurs-fri-sat-sun... i was asleep for almost 2 days after that...
apart from when i had 2 get up and go 4 2 the loo...
clubbing in london is quite draining :LOL:

rotten said:
thurs-fri-sat-sun... i was asleep for almost 2 days after that...
apart from when i had 2 get up and go 4 2 the loo...
clubbing in london is quite draining :LOL:

Tell me about it. And i've ben invited out tonight, so i MIGHT just not sleep tonight either. That would make a total of 50+hrs by the time i go to bed. If i don't go out on sunday night that is...

Longest I ever went it three days with only three hours sleep. Mind you, your decision making goes to pot pretty quickly when you're tired, so I wouldn't get behind the wheel of a car if I could help it. It also takes a lot longer to catch up as tiredness is cumulative, but sleep is not.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Longest I ever went it three days with only three hours sleep. Mind you, your decision making goes to pot pretty quickly when you're tired, so I wouldn't get behind the wheel of a car if I could help it. It also takes a lot longer to catch up as tiredness is cumulative, but sleep is not.

Yep, and isn't that the most irritating thing EVER?!!

london-boy said:
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:

Yep, and isn't that the most irritating thing EVER?!!

Yep. Stay up for a couple of nights and it takes you a week to catch up and you wake up feeling like crap for days despite a solid night's sleep. Longer you stay up and the older you are, the harder the crash is.

65-ish, and at the end of that time I aced an thermodynamics-exam. 8)

Longest time without sleep, eating, drinking, or even going further away from the computer than 2 meters - 36 hours. (While optimizing the core of a FORTH in x86 assembler.)

But now I'll probably going to sound like your mother:
DON'T DO THAT

Sleep depravation can seriously mess up your brain, and a lot worse so than a good boozing night out. I'm not talking about beeing tired for a week, I'm talking about sleeping and concentration disorder for the rest of your life.

Yep. My flatmate took too many sleeping pills in his younger days and now he can't sleep for longer than 2 hrs at a time. The few times he was sleeping and i was awake, i could hear him get up, go to the loo, do stuff every 2 hrs or so... Not nice if it was me...

Probably not longer than 36 hours. I once only slept 3 nights in 9 days though. I was up for 2 days, slept one night, up 2 days, slept one night, up 2 days. I figure you could actually live that way for a while.

Somewhere between 3 and 4 days, the audio hallucinations started up somewhere near the beginning of day 3 and by day 4 I was having trouble distinguishing between reality and fantasy.

How do you people stay up so long? It's usually that when i skip a night i feel terribly tired at around 1pm, and if there's a bed anywhere near me i just have to lay down and will usually fall asleep. If i manage to fight that urge for about an hour or two then i suddenly feel good again and can stay up till the night with no problem. And fighting that thing 3 days in a row? Sounds impossible.

It's like eating. Go long enough without and you get more used to it, do it long enough and it eventually pretty much goes away.

It's weird for me to get hungry too, I mean really hungry. ( I get the munchies all the time :oops: ) I usually forget to eat during the day from about 7am to a bit after 5:30, then I generally force myself to eat something whether I'm hungry or not. :)

london-boy said:
MuFu said:
About 7 hours.

Did we mention that lack of sleep causes brain damage... I mean, ure asking for trouble here matey.

;)

How I jest. This week I've slept:

Sunday night - none
Monday night - 2 hours
Tuesday night - 10 hours
Wednesday night - 5 hours
Thursday night - none
Friday night - 12 hours :)

Hectic week though (by under-grad standards) - 3 project deadlines, 2 presentations, 1 report submission and a partridge in a pear tree. I absolutely hate skipping sleep and can't function at all when I do it. It does seem to get easier to deal with though. Yesterday I didn't actually feel that tired, although I almost lost my voice (?!) and had a few aches and pains.

Longest I've gone without sleep is about 60 hours - couple of years ago at uni during the exam period.

Has anybody ever gone to sleep and woken up the next next day? Did this when I was ill in my gap year. Very weird!

I've been past 100 hours twice (due to pain), it makes you very ill. Hallucinating and being physically sick are some of the effects I suffered...

Longest non-stop working has been 2-3 days. 50-60 hours non-stop programming is not good. I remember once hallucinating on the train going home after an E3 demo, and another time I had to be driven home by a friend (because I wasn't fit to drive).

It used to be that at least one night a week I wouldn't sleep at all, but now I'm more normal (most of the time).

MuFu said:
I absolutely hate skipping sleep and can't function at all when I do it, although I have noticed that it does get easier to deal with, the more you do it. Yesterday I didn't actually feel that tired, although I almost lost my voice (?!) and had a few aches and pains.
The problem with that is your fatigue is actually cummulative even though it gets easier to deal with/ignore it.

I'm pretty convinced it was a big contributing factor to my heart attack last year, I'd been running on short sleep for at least a few years leading up to it (kids, it comes with the territory) and had been pushing it the last few months waaay too much.

My body was exhausted. I could (and still can) push it well beyond it's limits pretty easily, so I've started to be a whole lot more careful about it and I make sure to try and get enough rest regularly now and to push my lack-o-sleep days to less often and not as extensive.

I've definately noticed a difference in my health, it's helped a lot. :)

Back