Metal Gear Solid 3 best graphics and sound effects on ps2?

If you are talking about MGS3, then yes, I agree. The game is just flat out amazing looking, both technically, and artistically - and it has some of the craziest and best sound effects and spatial projection thereof.

Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect, there are problems here and there, some textures suffer from lack of mip-mapping, some locations have framerate problems, but there's just so much beauty and awe in it, overall.

the game is sooo great looking. im playing as we speak. the cutscenes are easilt the best on the system(or any system for that matter). must play for any PS2 owner who loves great games! :D

Im onto MGS3 now. Fought Ocelot, this is what MGS2 should be! The camera is quite bad though. Graphics is a mix bag really. The jump in level details is amazing, but to compensate, Konami obviously skipped mipmapping and ramped up clut compression. Now MGS2 look almost like a HDTV source in comparison!

MGS3 - PREMIUM PREVIEW in Japan
http://watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20041125/mgs.htm

Good fun:

mgs00.jpg

mgs08.jpg

mgs29.jpg

mgs02.jpg

mgs28.jpg

I might be wrong, but i heard that the Zoe and MGS series share much of their engines, so i think that from a technical point of view they're similar, potentially. Obviously they focus their art assets on different ways to impress the audience. ZOE2 throws you into a hell of particles and gorgeous on-your-face special effects because it can afford to, being set in the future where Mechs fly around and stuff. MGS details have always been much more subtle, hard to spot sometimes.

Why do I have the dreaded fear that making out with a girl wearing an alligator head is going to become a popular fetish in Japan? :oops: :p

Im onto MGS3 now. Fought Ocelot, this is what MGS2 should be! The camera is quite bad though. Graphics is a mix bag really. The jump in level details is amazing, but to compensate, Konami obviously skipped mipmapping and ramped up clut compression. Now MGS2 look almost like a HDTV source in comparison!
Wait until you get out of the cave you're in now. When I got to that mangrove location, I think I just sat there and watched for five minutes. Then I alerted the guards, and watched some more (their searchlights look awesome there :) Hell the cave itself looks prety awesome with all the weird play of light on the walls.

Btw, I'm not sure of MGS2 had mipmapping to begin with - or maybe some locations had it and some didn't... I remember textures used to shimmer here and there as well in MGS2 but rarely. MGS3 has a lot more detailed textures, so that's why I think it hapens more often. I don't understand what you mean by ramping up the clut comression. I don't think you can 'ramp up' that compression to different compression levels...

In any case what impresses me the most in MGS3 is just how everything bustles with detail and various colors, and yet just perfectly clicks together, location to location, no matter how different they are.

marconelly! said:
Wait until you get out of the cave you're in now. When I got to that mangrove location, I think I just sat there and watched for five minutes. Then I alerted the guards, and watched some more (their searchlights look awesome there :)

Btw, I'm not sure of MGS2 had mipmapping to begin with - or maybe some locations had it and some didn't... I remember textures used to shimmer here and there as well in MGS2 but rarely. MGS3 has a lot more detailed textures, so that's why I think it hapens more often. I don't understand what you mean by ramping up the clut comression. I don't think you can 'ramp up' that compression to different compression levels...

What do you expect? Seen who u're talking to? Hint: pahcman ... P A H C... C H A P...

MGS2 might not have needed mipmaps at all, since the environments were all quite small and the textures for the environments (floor especially) weren't particulartly detailed.

marconelly! said:
Wait until you get out of the cave you're in now. When I got to that mangrove location, I think I just sat there and watched for five minutes. Then I alerted the guards, and watched some more (their searchlights look awesome there :).
Yes, that section is so amazing. MGS3 features the most impressive, artistically and probably also technically (as in best result with least power), effects of over exposure lighting I've ever seen. Particulary during evasion in that very section...

I have to get that HDD and play it through again soon (on hard level this time). I planned to wait until the PAL version but I don't think I can hold out that long.

Deepak said:
Is it better than MGS2? Then how come it is getting less scores?
Cowardly reviewers remembered the MGS2 "too convoluted story, too much cutscenes -- most over-rated game ever" drama and played it safe this time. They are wrong, of course, both games deserve top grades. MGS3 is certainly better than MGS2 in most regards. It lacks the "dear god this is what next generation is all about look at the rain the lighting the art direction the physics oh where the hell did my jaw go" effect MGS2 had, though.

Can't wait to see what Kojima/KCEJ brings to E3 2006... ;)

VNZ said:
Deepak said:
Is it better than MGS2? Then how come it is getting less scores?
Cowardly reviewers remembered the MGS2 "too convoluted story, too much cutscenes -- most over-rated game ever" drama and played it safe this time.

Yeah! MGS2's story was awesome for a game. Never before had you seen such a complex story. Full marks to KCET.

marconelly! said:
MGS3 has a lot more detailed textures, so that's why I think it hapens more often. I don't understand what you mean by ramping up the clut comression. I don't think you can 'ramp up' that compression to different compression levels...
You can use only four colours of a 4bit palette and then store 2bit per pixel using a bit mask.

So does it have dynamic shadows in entire game unlike MGS2 wherein it was implemented only at few places?

Back