Climax reveals powerful shader toolset for Xbox 2 and PS3.

j^aws

Veteran
Climax unveils next-generation shader technology

Rob Fahey 15:24 24/11/2004

Britsoft dev reveals powerful shader toolset designed for Xbox 2 and PS3

UK-based developer Climax has revealed details of a key element of its next-generation console technology, a dynamic shading toolset for Xbox 2 and PlayStation 3 called Tomcat.

The system, which is designed to allow small pieces of shader code to be linked together and reused to create powerful graphical effects on the next-gen consoles, has been developed in-house at the firm.

"Rather than reacting to the issue when it arrives, we've taken a proactive step and developed a unique toolset that allows us to fully exploit the potential for outstanding shading effects," according to Climax Racing president Tony Beckwith. "The system we've created allows our artists to create amazing shader combinations faster, and without the need for programmer support."

The shading system, along with other elements of Climax' next generation technology, is expected to be used in the company's Avalon title, which has been announced for the PlayStation 3 but isn't believed to be signed to any publisher as yet.

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=5645

I think they'll be a huge leap next gen in shader power and complexity and the ability to process these shaders will show the biggest IQ differences. They also mention that they don't need 'programmer support'...kewl...who needs them anyway! :devilish:

Re: Climax reveals powerful shader toolset for Xbox 2 and PS

Jaws said:
They also mention that they don't need 'programmer support'...kewl...who needs them anyway! :devilish:

Yep, but apparently companies like EA does so they can work them like a horse.

About all these next-gen related news, press releases, etc.
It's like Nintendo doesn't exist anymore... :cry:

Back on topic. 'Tomcat'. Very... unimaginative, especially since it's such a well-known project title under the Apache group. I thought that no one would never, ever pick existing, well-known project names like that. I assume that there aren't a lot of network guys on their project, who would otherwise object vehemently to the choice of project title.

I assume they will think about licensing the technology to other studios?

passerby said:
About all these next-gen related news, press releases, etc.
It's like Nintendo doesn't exist anymore... :cry:

Back on topic. 'Tomcat'. Very... unimaginative, especially since it's such a well-known project title under the Apache group. I thought that no one would never, ever pick existing, well-known project names like that. I assume that there aren't a lot of network guys on their project, who would otherwise object vehemently to the choice of project title.

I assume they will think about licensing the technology to other studios?

I doubt they have many, if any, Java/web programmers, thus the name. Or maybe they believe their Shader tech will scream like a Tomcat jetfighter??

Does the Xbox use any pixel shading? Any current games use it? Isn't it a later version of Direct X than what Xbox has which supports pixel shaders?

Presumably, neither the PS2 nor the GC use pixel shaders either?

wco81 said:
Does the Xbox use any pixel shading? Any current games use it? Isn't it a later version of Direct X than what Xbox has which supports pixel shaders?

Presumably, neither the PS2 nor the GC use pixel shaders either?

My my... you've been out of the loop for over 3 years no?

:LOL:

The loop?

Seriously, I thought it was nVidia or ATI which demoed pixel shaders for one of their card launches only within the past 3 years.

Is it already more than 3 years since xbox launched :oops: ...my how time flies... they should release the xbox2 already next year.

Mmmm PS2 launched in October 2000 in EU, and the xbox and GC the year after. So it's 3 years.
And wco, pixel shaders were introduced with DX8, with the GF3. The NV2A being a GF3 with an additional vertex shader, making it a 3.5 or whatever, obviously is compatible with pixel shaders 1.1 and 1.3 IIRC.
One could argue that GC makes use of "pixel shaders" in that it can calculate lighting on a per-pixel level, however, the GC not being a DX compatible machine, they can't be called "pixel shaders" since that is a DX term.

Yes, we're getting old rabid... Gravity is taking its toll on us. Gravity is our enemy. I declare war on Gravity.

Re: Climax reveals powerful shader toolset for Xbox 2 and PS

The shading system, along with other elements of Climax' next generation technology, is expected to be used in the company's Avalon title, which has been announced for the PlayStation 3 but isn't believed to be signed to any publisher as yet.
Here's the only reason for this annoucement!

I remember that nVidia demo with the chameleon and the color of the skin changing in real time.

There hasn't been any console game looking anything like that demo. Then again, what game looks as good as these tech demos?

wco81 said:
I remember that nVidia demo with the chameleon and the color of the skin changing in real time.

There hasn't been any console game looking anything like that demo. Then again, what game looks as good as these tech demos?
That would make a pretty simple game in gameplay terms.
These demos usually have one or two characters, a world much much smaller than any real game level, limited or no interactivity, an engine tailored for those requirements...

Back