DS problems?

Ty

Roberta E. Lee
Veteran
http://ds.ign.com/articles/568/568084p1.html

...many new owners have reported the dreaded "dead pixel" syndrome on their system.

Nintendo's response is classic

We suggest that you use your system for a few weeks to determine whether this interferes with your enjoyment of game play.

So basically if you keep it beyond the return period from the place you bought it from, you're stuck with the warranty where they may or may not fix it.

From the same article (right after the sentence you posted actually...):

So far, only a small percentage of Nintendo DS owners on our message boards have reported the problem.

Oh and here's Nintendo's full response:

We suggest that you use your system for a few weeks to determine whether this interferes with your enjoyment of game play. If, after using your system for awhile, you feel that this tiny dot is too distracting, the Nintendo DS does carry a one-year warranty. We are happy to inspect and, if necessary, fix your system at no charge within the warranty period."

They may or may not fix the problem?... where do you see that said in there response? Nintendo clearly state that if you decide that a dead pixel is annoying enough that you want it fixed they will check the system and if it does have a dead pixel they will fix it or replace it.

Well at the time they posted the story, there may not have been many who noticed it. Also their forums are subscription based (i.e. you have to pay to post) so that already cuts down on their traffic by a huge amount. Either way, they used the word, "many", which I wholeheartedly agree leaves a huge amount of room for interpretation.

Do note, however, that Nintendo's response does NOT indicate that they are guaranteed to fix it if there is a dead pixel. In fact EVERY manufacturer of LCDs (yes, Sony included) has an explicit "dead pixel" policy that covers this. Pixels on the edge carry less weight than those in the center. Red might carry more weight than green (can't remember how color is treated), etc. Which is why I believe they chose to use the phrase, "if necessary" where they are the ones who decide if it is necessary, not the consumer.

As for Sony I would be surprised if they didn't have more dead pixels actually. But this is about the DS. When the PSP launches we can talk about its problems then. (Fyi I've brought up a whole bunch of them myself so please don't waste our time trying to say I'm being biased - I'm just cynical of everyone ;) ) - this last phrase isn't directly personally at you Teasy.

At GA where quit a lot complaining about dead pixels ... I would even go as far and say that Nintendo released all DS that had a small amount of dead pixels because of the DS shortage and hoped that not all would replace them.

Fredi

I find the "if necessary" a curious addition to the comment, but I think that would have more to do with not getting caught saying they're repair/replace any[ system sent back for any reason, rather than putting fingers to jaw and going "Hmm... Is that dead pixel dead enough? I think not!" Remember, corporations can get bitten in the ass by making public statements like "We are happy to inspect and fix your system at no charge within the warranty period." It could be returned for quite a lot of reasons, some of which might be imagined by the consumer (and therefore not really need fixing--just explaining), not actually a problem that occurs duing their testing, break their warranty, etc.

Corporate-speak isn't the same as marketing-speak, but at times it can be as curious. ;)

Ty

Only some of IGN's forums are subscription based. IGN has free Nintendo DS forums that anyone can use.

On my PSP comment. Well PSP is the other handheld being released soon and it will have a LCD screen that will be prone to the same problems as DS's, as you said yourself. So IMO it was worth mentioning to put this into perspective for some people reading this thread. To make it clear that this sort of thing happens.. maybe not always to this degree (whatever degree that even is} but it happens. Although I did remove that PSP comment from my post a little while before you posted. Because even though it shouldn't be a problem, it may become one with some users in this forum (I don't mean you BTW).

cthellis42 hit the nail on the head in his post above as far as the "if neccesary" comment goes BTW. I was going to say the same.

Teasy said:
cthellis42 hit the nail on the head in his post above as far as the "if neccesary" comment goes BTW. I was going to say the same.

That is my point though as the phrase, "if necessary" is left to up to their discretion. They did not say, "if there is a dead or stuck pixel we will replace or fix the unit."

Teasy said:
That's just splitting hairs IMO.

No problem there, all I'm saying is that they never promised to fix it. They very well could intend to but if I had one with a busted pixel, I wouldn't wait a few weeks hoping it might go away or not bug me. I'd return it asap to where I got it from. I'd definately recommend the same for any product be it the DS, the PSP, or an LCD TV.

Trust me man Nintendo's customer service dept is second to none. I've never known anyone that had a complaint. I bought 2 DS and the first one from Wal Mart had a dead pixel almost exactly in the middle of the touch screen. I got my money back and went to BB and got another one. However if'd kept it and sent it to Ninty I'd would'nt have minded much. Over the years I've sent them many a game and machine and they've come thru where I was pleased.

Seems that customer support is A-OK. However, the number of dead pixel complaints is alarming - or has this been blown out of proportion by internet gossip?

That's great that Nintendo has a great history. Their approach can easily change though should the problem grow because their bottom line can be hit hard. In end, you did exactly what I counsel everyone in that situation to do. Don't wait it out, just swap it out where you are guaranteed to have the problem addressed.

Not sure how prolific it is (guy at work had the same problem though). I'm guessing/hoping it's no worse than any other LCD product out there but the press is causing everyone to look at theirs with more scrutiny which means more discovery of the issue.

Personally I probably don't know a dead pixel if I saw one. I'm sure there must have been dead pixels on all the lcd monitors I use - but I never noticed them. But then again, I assume a DS screen has lower resolution than a lcd monitor, and with user's attention focused on a small area, they become noticeable and bothersome.

some over the top nintendo DS dead pixel theories..

- demand for DS's is so extreme that nintendo did not have time to propperly test all of the screens.

- nintendo cut costs by using sub-standard lcd's with a higher than normal failure rate.

- sony bribed the lcd manufacturer to sabatoge the screens

- the lcd's are made by sony

- the DS was bought by people old enough to know what a dead pixel is, causing people to actualy complain about it

- a H4XX0R H4xx3D into nintendo's HQ, stealing a non-functional amount of the source code for LCD screens. the dead pixels are a direct result of the stolen source code.

- a purple chicken

- pirates stole all of the DS units and replaced them with cheap nock-offs with dead pixels. the real units will be sold by street venders in large cites

That was actually very good.

that was actualy the first thing i thought of when i heard about these "widespread" reports of dead pixels. all the other theories were filler so i could sneak that one in.

Back