Why no talk about X850 yet???

Improving it over what? Do you really think they are trying to sell these to people who already own an X800? I think not.

hovz said:
adding a plane engine on top of a card isnt improving it. some of you people are ridiculous.
VGA Silencers are pretty popular for a reason, and it ain't noise.

Let's talk about next AMD CPU - K8.67 - AMD will name that way K8s next stepping with better yields, bigger box cooler, running 10.2MHz faster than current K8 (was it K8.50? or K8.51??) .... funny, no?

hovz said:
pc999 said:
ATI claims that X850 XT Platinum edition will end up twenty per cent faster than Geforce 6800 Ultra in 3Dmark05, almost forty per cent faster in Far Cry and around 55 per cent faster in Unreal Tournament 2004. Those numbers come from ATI.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19816

bullshit

no ones talking about it because its a stupid pointless release. if this is soley about improving availability why even 'release' them. just put them on store shelves when they are available under the same name as current boards. a 20 mhz core increase isnt even worth a new name.

If you were anymore bitter you'd turn into a lemon. Obviously with such a small clock increase to claim the % increase numbers ATi has something up their sleeve design wise. Heck who knows the card may be so good it will convert bitter Nvidiots over to ATi. :LOL:

Bjorn said:
geo said:
This has been referred to repeatedly as an "availability refresh". That means yields will be significantly better. That also means that there will be a significantly higher percentage of stellar overclockers.

The larger cooler is there for a reason though. So i'm not so sure that it will be a better overclocker.

Exactly.

Besides this I love my X800XTPE skinny shape. 8) My PC is already fully loaded - does anybody know about any case with more than 7 backpanel slots? I can' install two USB and firewire 800 ports because no slots left -, so a giant like this is a definite no-go for me.

hovz: cool down a bit. ( here right now it would be pretty easy... finnish gulf of baltic sea getting some ice about 20 meters from my apartment... ;) ) I think you have made your point clear by cursing all ATI users to Dante's lowest step. (and as I am now using the search, it seems that your objectivity has a sort of twist... well, anyways..)

nVidia has been a slightly faster (average. Ati is faster on HL2 and nVidia on Doom 3, but these aren't the only new games.) on this season, so ATI did what any manufacturer should do: reacrt the competition by dropping the prices of older cards and bring a new model that tries to reach closer to leader, even if the upgrade is small. (anyone thought that 25MHz increase on 16 pipelines is same as 100MHz increase on 4 pipelines in fillrate and 4 pipes were regular stuff just over a year ago.)

two slot cooler solution on ATI card as well was going to happen eventually. IMO the chip makers are still going way much faster than semiconductor business on development and that causes heating problems getting higher, which needs again better cooling.

hmmh... it has been a quite long since I commented HW thread last time... maybe it''s my ignorance nowdays towards to the whole business. two men game is boring to watch.

Nappe1 said:
hovz: cool down a bit. ( here right now it would be pretty easy... finnish gulf of baltic sea getting some ice about 20 meters from my apartment... ;) ) I think you have made your point clear by cursing all ATI users to Dante's lowest step. (and as I am now using the search, it seems that your objectivity has a sort of twist... well, anyways..)

nVidia has been a slightly faster (average. Ati is faster on HL2 and nVidia on Doom 3, but these aren't the only new games.) on this season, so ATI did what any manufacturer should do: reacrt the competition by dropping the prices of older cards and bring a new model that tries to reach closer to leader, even if the upgrade is small. (anyone thought that 25MHz increase on 16 pipelines is same as 100MHz increase on 4 pipelines in fillrate and 4 pipes were regular stuff just over a year ago.)

two slot cooler solution on ATI card as well was going to happen eventually. IMO the chip makers are still going way much faster than semiconductor business on development and that causes heating problems getting higher, which needs again better cooling.

hmmh... it has been a quite long since I commented HW thread last time... maybe it''s my ignorance nowdays towards to the whole business. two men game is boring to watch.

On http://www.warp2search.net a link to the X850 CryEngine techdemo can be found:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/g.sleight/cryengine_techdemo.wmv

Only no sound ;-(

I dont really mind the cooling under one situation. It's not there because its absolutely essential. If the thing still runs hot with cooling like that. Then I will be disgruntled by it. I really do not like how IHVs sometimes use only the cooling they can get away with rather than cooling that would serve the hardware better.

To be honest I like Nvidias reference design for the 6800NU and 6800GT. I have seen alot of 3rd party coolers which dont do as of good job. If this cooler does a good job and doesnt run hotter than the sun. I have no problem with its implementation.

Would it be ok to assume this is mainly to get the cards out there?
Alot of guys seem to thinking purely of the small clockspeed increase, but if they are able to make them easier, and have more headroom over overclocking, all the better.
What does nvidia have up their sleeve?

They must have made some small internal changes to the R480 too. Cause if the new X850 series is really only to get a better availability, then how come the $499 X850XT (non-PE) is only clocked at 520Mhz core and 540Mhz mem, while the previous $499 card (X800XT PE) is clocked a bit faster in the mem department? Maybe they improved the memory controller efficiency a bit? But maybe 20 Mhz difference on the mem doesn't really matter much. :?

It seems to me that only the $399 card is getting a real boost going from 475 Mhz core to 520 Mhz and going from 450 Mhz mem to 520 Mhz.

What I'm more interested in... could someone downclock their X800XT PE to 400 Mhz core and leave the mem at 500 Mhz and then run some benchmarks? I'm curious to see what to expect of the X800XL which is said to be $349... can it really compete with the GF6800GT?

From my perspective the X850 is much like the 9800XT, it features small improvements over the previous R420 core, and thus offers a small speed boost, nothing to get worked up about, that's about as much as I can comment while still under NDA.

As for the cooling solution, it is the logical next step in trying to get hot air out of your system, where it doesn't belong in the first place. There's a reason why Arctic Cooling' Silencers sell well, and why I have had one on my card from day one.

If they did a good job at copying Arctic Cooling's concept it should perform on par with theirs, both in terms of cooling performance and well as noise production. I for one dislike the stock cooler that ships with the X800 cards, it is far too noisy.

Sander Sassen
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com

CJ said:
What I'm more interested in... could someone downclock their X800XT PE to 400 Mhz core and leave the mem at 500 Mhz and then run some benchmarks? I'm curious to see what to expect of the X800XL which is said to be $349... can it really compete with the GF6800GT?
I'll give this a shot over the holiday weekend and report back; shouldn't be hard to test at all...

Also, the cooling solution isn't really a big deal from either camp. I'm not one to use the stock cooling anyway; my X800 Pro Vivo's stock heatsink and fan never once saw power... The X800 has been living under a Maze 4 waterblock since about five minutes after it came outta the box 8) And it was in 12-pipe mode for as long as it took to boot to Dos the first time :p

I'd love to see more VAR's offering waterblocks on their cards -- wasn't it BFG that offered one of the NV cards with a waterblock already on it?

Nappe1 said:
(anyone thought that 25MHz increase on 16 pipelines is same as 100MHz increase on 4 pipelines in fillrate and 4 pipes were regular stuff just over a year ago.)
You're unnecessarily confusing yourself here. You should quantify clock differences by percentage, and not by MHz deltas.

Luminescent said:
Its really too bad for those with AGP motherboards.
THANK YOU!!!! :D

I was just sitting here having a tad bit of buyer's remorse over my X800 considering the new crop is coming out and I totally spaced that these don't even come in AGP!

I think the X800/6800 are going to be the last high-end cards to use it, so I don't regret it at all as I plan to stick with me mobo a bit longer. 8)

Maybe they have added support for S.M. 3.0 :LOL:

Bah, just better manufacturing process. And I like the fan ala Nvidia ;)

edit:typos

hovz said:
ostol, theres nothing wrong with improving yields with a new process. but when you actually launch a product as if its some great new chip when in reality it will probly be 4 or 5% faster than the previous product, its an insult to customers. funny you mention them being cheaper to purchase. if im remembering correctly atis msrp of 549 is the highest they have ever placed on a video card. i sure as hell would pay a $550+ to have 4 more fps in ut2k4.

Hasn't it been like this for a long time?
9800Pro
9800XT
Even Nvidia
FX5900U
FX5950U
Nothing unusual, both do it. And the supporting arguments are in this thread.

Back