Mini DS review (mainstream press)

marconelly! said:
Racing game? Well I guess we won't have to wait too long :\
It's encouraging that everyone who has played RR on TGS has loved the way the game looked, though.

*edit* I wonder what kind of screen earlier devkit used if it didn't have any ghosting. Now that I think about it, I can't think of one electronic device with LCD screen that doesn't have any ghotsing, even the currently most expensive LCD monitors have it.

It depends on the LCD. e.g some 16ms outperforms those that stated 8ms. The X ms response time is only for black to white and then black again (i.e 0 -> 1 -> 0), whereas to red to green for example will be different.

Reading some of the reviews of the latest LCDs (16 ms and less), they're pretty good for games even FPS. That said not all will cut it as it also depends on IQ, colour, etc.

Edit: minor corrections.

If you say all LCDs have ghosting then you also have to say that all CRTs have ghosting...
Many CRTs have minor ghosting of some kind on high contrast areas, but it isn't nearly as noticeable as on even the best LCDs I've seen. I was reading somewhere that CRT would be specced at response time of less than 1ms if they had that kind of specification.

I don't even notice the ghosting in games so much on LCDs - it's the good old fashioned windows and mouse pointer moving that is the most annoying, IMO.

marconelly! said:
If you say all LCDs have ghosting then you also have to say that all CRTs have ghosting...
Many CRTs have minor ghosting of some kind on high contrast areas, but it isn't nearly as noticeable as on even the best LCDs I've seen. I was reading somewhere that CRT would be specced at response time of less than 1ms if they had that kind of specification.

I don't even notice the ghosting in games so much on LCDs - it's the good old fashioned windows and mouse pointer moving that is the most annoying, IMO.

Are we having different interpretation of image ghosting? I see ghosting is when you get an outline of the same image slight apart. For example, when getting interference on TV or using a bad cable on CRT monitors. It also happens on LCD/TFT monitors when using analogy connections with poor clock and/or phase settings.

As for ghosting on fast moving images for games it’s a different set of problems. The advantage of CRT (beside it being a 30+ year technology) is the use of phosphors which only stays active/lighted for sub 1ms, but then you’ll need higher refresh rates to keep the image from flickering. The shorter the active state, the faster an image can change/move without having a trailer, but requires higher refresh rates.

LCD/TFT doesn't require higher refresh rates to stop the flickering since the diode (or what whatever the new term is) states active longer, thus the trailing image on the fast moving object. The diodes just can't change state fast enogh for the eyes not to pick up.

A CRT can't hold a candle compared to LCD/TFT in terms crisp images. The CRT will always be slightly blurred, but does have more accurate coloring ATM. If you have a LDC/TFT with DVI (in digital) next to a CRT monitor you'll know what I mean.

Are we having different interpretation of image ghosting? I see ghosting is when you get an outline of the same image slight apart.
Yeah, ghosting was maybe not the right term for what I was talking about. I was thinking about the faded trailing behind the moving objects.

A CRT can't hold a candle compared to LCD/TFT in terms crisp images. The CRT will always be slightly blurred, but does have more accurate coloring ATM.
I agree with everything you said here.

Looks like the guy loves DS's features and thinks that its revolutionary and will change gaming forever. Unfortunately he must be a hobbit or something :LOL:

As long as I don’t have to sacrifice my lower back to the DS’s sheer heft.

Its 275g.. :LOL:

A couple people at work said the same, that they were surprised by how heavy it was. I guess the overall density of the unit surpasses the density of the GBA-SP/GBA.

No one mentioned the screen getting scratched up though so perhaps he was just careless (not a hobbit, more like an ogre ;) ) or they haven't played with it as long as he has.

I think this quote from the article sums it all up for now.

After all is said and done, I look forward to the next round of DS games in early December. At which point my love-hate relationship with Nintendo’s latest baby will, no doubt, continue. In the meantime, I will defintely be playing my GBA SP games in the best handheld console ever made, the GBA SP.

The only story of a DS screen getting scratched that I've heard is when someone got a bit of grit stuck between the stylus and screen. The stylus itself doesn't scratch the screen. So you just need to check that the screen is clean before using it. Or, even easier, just get a screen protector.

cthellis42 said:
It's people like you all who give my beautiful Virtual Boy a bad name and prohibited the development of more games! I was one of at least a dozen people who didn't get a headache using it, and damn was it fun to play with! Now stop bitching about it all the time, or I'll brain you with my Jaguar. :devilish:

Buy Virtual Boy! With added gameplay bonus! Get brain cancer and cataracts while you play.

In the meantime, I will defintely be playing my GBA SP games in the best handheld console ever made, the GBA SP.

Well, al lot of people are reporting that DS is indeed excellent for playing GBA games, making them look better with the back-lit screen, so maybe that guy should give it a try ;)

Everyone complaining about how "incredibly heavy" the DS is...

...obviously never owned the original Game Boy.

-.-;

I'm by no means strong, but I can hold the thing up and play Mario64 DS with the thumb strap and ABXY buttons for 3 hours without propping my arms on anything...

Tagrineth said:
Everyone complaining about how "incredibly heavy" the DS is...

...obviously never owned the original Game Boy.

-.-;

I'm by no means strong, but I can hold the thing up and play Mario64 DS with the thumb strap and ABXY buttons for 3 hours without propping my arms on anything...

I agree, I remember myself playing the original Game Boy with a rather heavy battery pack AND a bulky 'screen zoom/front light'-like device. Can't beat that in size or weight. Nintendo DS isn't really that big/heavy.

Tagrineth I assume you played a bit with the DS... how do you feel about the general quality of the device? I like the feeling of durability and "tight-ness" (if that's the correct term - non-native English here) of the GBA SP, is the DS comparable with it?

Thanks
Kalin

People just got spoiled by the SP so now anything heavier is too heavy. Maybe what people are saying is that it's heavier than it looks? When I first saw it, I thought it was light looking at the plastic etc. but when held it feels heavier. Does anyone know if NDS is heavier than a GBA with alkalines?

PC-Engine said:
Maybe what people are saying is that it's heavier than it looks? When I first saw it, I thought it was light looking at the plastic etc. but when held it feels heavier.

That's what I mentioned above wrt to "density". It's heavier than people first imagine.

Kalin said:
Tagrineth I assume you played a bit with the DS... how do you feel about the general quality of the device? I like the feeling of durability and "tight-ness" (if that's the correct term - non-native English here) of the GBA SP, is the DS comparable with it?

Thanks
Kalin

SP always felt cheap to me, and I hated its crosspad, so... meh.

I own a DS, so of course I've played it quite a bit. :) My DS is in my pocket right now, in fact (Feel the Magic and Aria of Sorrow in it)...

The only issue I have with the system is that the crosspad and face buttons could've been a little further inward, not so damn near the edges. Not really a huge issue but still is annoying at times. Other than that it's wonderful.

Tagrineth said:
The only issue I have with the system is that the crosspad and face buttons could've been a little further inward, not so damn near the edges. Not really a huge issue but still is annoying at times. Other than that it's wonderful.

That's the same issue I have with the PSP analog stick - that it's too close to the edge. I definately can not grasp the PSP firmly/cradle it in my palm as much as I would like to.

Back