Metroid Prime 2 Echoes..Don't overlook this one!

Goldni

Regular
Having been playing some serious gameage ever since the 34 hr long Paper Mario Thousand Year Door and having just finished the short but sweet Halo 2 I've began my journey with Samus once again. I played till 1:30 am this morning. I have to say that while MP2 is more of the same (like H2 was). I am very impressed with this game.

First the graphics are the most beautiful this gen imo. Yes the artwork but I'm talking a very nice leap over MP1 technically. Lots more texture detail everywhere. The environments are made up of alot more polys to provide the rounded natural look. More details in the enemies and Samus suit. Specular lighting on a ton of surfaces. The blazing framerate is unmatched on a console game. The animations of everything in the levels from birds, surface crawlers, gears and machinery etc is top notch. I cannot wait to see what Retro can do with Revolution.

Level design is unmatched. Lot's of exploring but better paced than MP1. And not as much backtraking (at least so far). The game is so damn immersive. I haven't seen any water yet. I'm hoping Retro improved upon that. Halo 2 had gorgeous water. I'd be happy if the water looked like that or even better RE4's water. Unless the game makes a wrong turn somewhere in my remaining 20+ hours with it I'm giving it higher reviews than MP1 in every category.

While most of the hype is on GTA and H2 this season and new hardware launching, it'd be ashame to overlook this game. Also PoP2 is another great game that could get lost in the shadows of other big releases. Word of mouth helps though. Enjoy!

I'll be picking this one up when it drops a little in price. I have issues with the controls and I'm not crazy about the pacing at times, but MP 2 looks like a quality release.

:cry: I still have to get my GameCube along with Metroid Prime before I'll be playing this! Thanks for the impressions. :)

60fps is 60fps. On any console. On any game at 60fps

Not really, one game may have a very inconsistent 60fps, another might have a moderately consistent 60fps, and another a constant 60fps..

Phil said:
:cry: I still have to get my GameCube along with Metroid Prime before I'll be playing this! Thanks for the impressions. :)

i did that only recently too. so here's an advice from personal experience: make sure you do ;) ..who knows, you may even enjoy mp1 more than some brand new console shooters.. 8)

Frankly, the only FPS period this year that can lay a hand on MP1's single-player is Half-Life 2.

Not that I consider MP1 to be the same type of game as HL2.. they're different gameplay-wise. At times, much different.

Despite this, they both have an incredible level of quality. Too bad MP2's multiplayer apparently sucks.

The multi is just added cookies. It's fine for what it is. Although there are some old music remixes from years passed that kick ass only in the multiplayer arenas.

Did I mention that Echoes has that patented atmosphere 10 X what was in the original? I said this about the MP1 and I'll say it about Echoes...I can surely tell the Turok and Half Life influences in Echoes. And it's welcome with me!

Teasy said:
60fps is 60fps. On any console. On any game at 60fps

Not really, one game may have a very inconsistent 60fps, another might have a moderately consistent 60fps, and another a constant 60fps..

.....:| Really....?

All i was saying is that a game at a consistant 60fps is a game at a constistant 60fps. If 2 games run at a consistant 60fps, they are equally smooth. And there are a lot of games that run at a stable 60fps.

Of course, he might just have meant that this is the most detailed game he saw running at 60fps, so that's cool for me.

I just picked it up yesterday. It does look amazing. Having been a big Metroid fan, I was a doubter when I heard about the first GC Metroid. Metroid FPS, yeah that's guaranteed to suck.

Man was I wrong. The amount of detail, care, effort put into the two games is staggering.

Readykilowatt said:
Jov said:
Another one to add to the Xmas list... :D

.... and you will be glad you did. :D

It makes me want to go back and beat Metriod Prime the final boss so I can see the ending before starting on MP2. :D

Will have 4 days over xmas... don't want to go anywhere without a big tv!! :LOL:

Echoes will be released in Sweden in just 4 days... WHOOO! :D Last time we had to wait like three months for the game to come out in PAL format, that REALLY sucked.

Jov said:
It makes me want to go back and beat Metriod Prime the final boss so I can see the ending before starting on MP2. :D

Heh, same here. Why in MP did they have to do like so many games and have the end boss be so many times harder than any other boss in the game.

This game is simply beautiful. Massive environments flooded with complex geometry, or either a completely organic feel, yet both feel equally alive. The most creative enemy & boss designs I've ever seen outside of the Silent Hill series twisted & disturbing creations. The Echoes visor is so innovative & cool to simply just watch. Certain enemies can even take your suit's visor off-line via a transmitted virus. Beautiful & varied particle effects, & a weapons upgrade that amounts to one of the best I've ever used in a game. Details, details, & more environmental details. Thought provoking morphball puzzles, great enemy animations, & an art style that is unrivaled IMO. Locking on makes battles simple does it? Removes strategy? I breezed through Halo 2, minibosses & to a certain extent basic enemy creatures were routinely & soundly beating me like a stepchild initially in Echoes. I won't even begin on the main bosses.

I'm sorry but the single-player experience in this>Halo 2 imo. Although Halo's multi is completely divine. This is a fpa, there is no longer any debate, Echoes has sealed it for me. Exploration is definitely a major component, even moreso than Prime. This game makes you think & read, not too popular amongst the casuals I would think. Multi is alright with 2 people, (though somewhat bland & uninspired) but the framerate starts to chug with more than that. Proof that this was added as but an afterthought to please fans, unsuccessfully. Until RE4 & the LOZ releases, this is the most visually stunning game on the GC imo. (not the most technically accomplished mind you)

Li Mu Bai said:
This game is simply beautiful. Massive environments flooded with complex geometry, or either a completely organic feel, yet both feel equally alive. The most creative enemy & boss designs I've ever seen outside of the Silent Hill series twisted & disturbing creations. The Echoes visor is so innovative & cool to simply just watch. Certain enemies can even take your suit's visor off-line via a transmitted virus. Beautiful & varied particle effects, & a weapons upgrade that amounts to one of the best I've ever used in a game. Details, details, & more environmental details. Thought provoking morphball puzzles, great enemy animations, & an art style that is unrivaled IMO. Locking on makes battles simple does it? Removes strategy? I breezed through Halo 2, minibosses & to a certain extent basic enemy creatures were routinely & soundly beating me like a stepchild initially in Echoes. I won't even begin on the main bosses.

I'm sorry but the single-player experience in this>Halo 2 imo. Although Halo's multi is completely divine. This is a fpa, there is no longer any debate, Echoes has sealed it for me. Exploration is definitely a major component, even moreso than Prime. This game makes you think & read, not too popular amongst the casuals I would think. Multi is alright with 2 people, (though somewhat bland & uninspired) but the framerate starts to chug with more than that. Proof that this was added as but an afterthought to please fans, unsuccessfully. Until RE4 & the LOZ releases, this is the most visually stunning game on the GC imo. (not the most technically accomplished mind you)

Agreed, ever thought you were seeing bump mapping. I know I did, the thought of they could accomplish on the Revolution, gets me excited.

The Grapple Guardian texture detail is unmatched.

You know some of the textures remind me of the images and vids of RE4, before the changes. The resolution seem to be similar. I hope Production Studio will increase texture resolution before release.

Cryect said:
Jov said:

Heh, same here. Why in MP did they have to do like so many games and have the end boss be so many times harder than any other boss in the game.

I thought betting DMC final boss was a challenge. It’s about getting used to the visors and switching between them at the right time. I came close a few times, but started a new job and have not picked it up since.

Back