PowerVR Series 6?

Sage

13 short of a dozen
Regular
does anyone know what this is and when it will be relased? Any details at all? C'mon, I know someone wants to spill the beans!

Series 6, I saw it on a PowerVR roadmap a few years ago, as did most of us on B3D. beyond that, no idea what it's target performance/features are.

It still amazes me that posts like these still pop up.

What on Earth over the last 3+ years has given anyone any real evidence that I.T. is seriously pursuing any main stream Graphics contracts? They could do it tomorrow if they wanted to. They choose not to. Who the heck knows why. They have a clear advantage in several areas performance wise due to the basics of their design yet they chose to dink around with 1 or 2 mobile phone type contracs a year. This is supposed to impress anyone?

I was at the point of irritation about their blatant LACK of following through with Some of the real potential they have a couple years ago. Now I am at the point of "Who freakin cares". If they dont care why the heck should we care? It so painful to watch a company intentionally underachieve over and over and over and over again that it becomes almost self loathing to put any real interest in what they do.

Going all the way back to the Kyro II. Half the freaking transistors and still almost matching performance of the big boys. All they had to freaking do is put some decent Ram and Core speed on it or heck put 4 pipelines in there and they could have established themselves as a real top notch competitor. Yet no..

Yes i know they are an IP only company. So what. They can still make a prototype that really impresses and get out there and SELL it. Or at least do teh 3dfx route and have have at least one outlet for their own high performance hardeware.

This is the only other company that has the serious potential to release a top of the line competative part. Its a sad state of affairs that they seem content with MBX type technology.

Don't say this stuff in the Console section because you'll get branded as some sort of heretic.

Hellbinder said:

Seriously, me too.

What on Earth over the last 3+ years has given anyone any real evidence that I.T. is seriously pursuing any main stream Graphics contracts? They could do it tomorrow if they wanted to. They choose not to. Who the heck knows why. They have a clear advantage in several areas performance wise due to the basics of their design yet they chose to dink around with 1 or 2 mobile phone type contracs a year. This is supposed to impress anyone?

From a gamer's perspective and his interests that's true, yet it's not about 1 or 2 contracts and far from only being just contracts in the mobile or 3D space exclusively. Gaining licenses from the half of the top tier semiconductors out of nowhere for MBX isn't exactly a small achievement and while I personally couldn't care much myself about 3D on a PDA/mobile device, with the predictions of that market exploding in the nearest future, the final predicted income could be times higher than with any attempt in the PC space.

Plus all the other markets that IMG has and is being addressing with successful IP in the meantime. The company might be growing but I don't think it's recourses are that large either to do it all at once. Years ago they used to fiddle around with one IP sollution per year, nowadays they work on more than 20 per year.

I was at the point of irritation about their blatant LACK of following through with Some of the real potential they have a couple years ago. Now I am at the point of "Who freakin cares". If they dont care why the heck should we care? It so painful to watch a company intentionally underachieve over and over and over and over again that it becomes almost self loathing to put any real interest in what they do.

Here I couldn't agree more. Former paragraph is actually some sort of personal estimate, as to why IMG's management doesn't really "care" in the end. If I placed the right bet above, then IMG has to concentrate now or in the foreseeable future on the second generation of PDA/mobile chips and there things won't be as easy as in the first round. Trying to keep the lead in that market doesn't seem to leave too much headroom for diverting resources to a highly complex high end sollution, which actually might have been ready for longer than we can imagine.

Leaving one market where success so far is higher than expected and moving into a market where a company hardly stands a chance being an IP company, might be my personal or anyone elses wish, but doesn't seem to make much sense for a company that wants to increase income.

I know I sound like a broken record, but since I know Joe will be reading this I admit that he's been right all along: IMG will never get anywhere if the don't change their strategy for the PC graphics market. There the choice is either risk too much or try to succeed elsewhere.

Yes i know they are an IP only company. So what. They can still make a prototype that really impresses and get out there and SELL it. Or at least do teh 3dfx route and have have at least one outlet for their own high performance hardeware.

<shrugs>

Ailuros said:
Hellbinder said:

Seriously, me too.

well, in the PVR S5 thread someone said that the S5 was dead and for the next three years we'd be having Series 6 threads.... how could I resist?

The only thing that is with absolute certainty alive at PowerVR is MBX. Beyond that it's anyone's guess.

The last time Wavey interviewed John Metcalfe, he stated that they'll continue development in any case; albeit frankly I personally can't see much reason to for it, if the former unreleased high end design ends up rotting on a shelve.

So the real question would be in the end, if PowerVR and in extension IMG really intend to make a comeback to the PC graphics space or not in the end. I wish at least SEGA would finally show something for it's next generation Arcade board; it would at least be interesting from a pure technological perspective.

Back