Controversy about ABC and T.O./Sheridan skit

It was a bit tawdry, and not really very entertaining.

But, I suppose, if you're watching football with your kids, its not really something that is family oriented and therefor a bit of a surprise.

I think what happened was that every one was disturbed because they saw a blonde white woman dropping her towel and jumping on a bald black man inside the locker room.

One side did not like that the bald guy was protrayed as a dumb jock who preffers sex instead of sports.

The other side did not like that the blonde was portrayed as a women who thinks bald men are great sex machines because they are bald and have no hair on their head.

The mesage here is if your hair line is going back, just shave it and wear a football jersey and a blonde chick will think you are sexy because full bald looks better than half bald.

Akumajou said:
I think what happened was that every one was disturbed because they saw a blonde white woman dropping her towel and jumping on a bald black man inside the locker room.

One side did not like that the bald guy was protrayed as a dumb jock who preffers sex instead of sports.

The other side did not like that the blonde was portrayed as a women who thinks bald men are great sex machines because they are bald and have no hair on their head.

The mesage here is if your hair line is going back, just shave it and wear a football jersey and a blonde chick will think you are sexy because full bald looks better than half bald.

close, but i think try substitutnig "black" for "bald" ;)

even I have a negative reaction to the thought, and i really really really REALLY try not to be predjudice. but, the simple fact is, most young black men where I grew up were hoodlums who dealt drugs, shot each other up, etc. of course i had a few black friends who were wonderful guys so i know not all blacks are like that. but, still, i do have an underlying predjudice (only against blacks men, not against anyone else... like Michael Moore says- FEAR THE BLACK MAN) but that might be largely because the county i spent my earlierst days in had like 3 black families. i was in grade school before i saw my first black man. it was at the grocery store and i said "mommy wahts that" ...but, hey, i didnt know people could be that colour! it's like if you saw a rainbow person you'd wonder what they were.

Sage said:
close, but i think try substitutnig "black" for "bald" ;)

even I have a negative reaction to the thought, and i really really really REALLY try not to be predjudice. but, the simple fact is, most young black men where I grew up were hoodlums who dealt drugs, shot each other up, etc. of course i had a few black friends who were wonderful guys so i know not all blacks are like that. but, still, i do have an underlying predjudice (only against blacks men, not against anyone else... like Michael Moore says- FEAR THE BLACK MAN) but that might be largely because the county i spent my earlierst days in had like 3 black families. i was in grade school before i saw my first black man. it was at the grocery store and i said "mommy wahts that" ...but, hey, i didnt know people could be that colour! it's like if you saw a rainbow person you'd wonder what they were.

No that is not what I meant, I meant that popular culture is promoting that hot looking women are attracted only to either bald men or men with a full head of hair that also happen to be into sports and walk around wearing sports apparel.

Popular culture is also promoting that if you are not into sports then you must be gay as in you must be into having sex with other men and that is why you would not bother to watch to teams of sweaty, muscular men chasing a ball, or two big manly looking, tights wearing men slamming and trying to pin each other on the canvas by assuming a near missionary position and sometimes a spooning position in a professional wresstling arena.

Popular culture is also promoting still to this day that if you are in high school and you are not into sports then you are a dateless loser who will never get to date the captain of the cheerleader squad because she is supposed to date the captain of the football team.

I also fount at a store's magazine rack an issue of cosmopolitan or whatever having an article about how bald men with fully shaved heads are much sexier looking than men with a bald spot or a big forehead, go figure.

the fact that he was black wasnt the problem (or at least to most). The sex outside of marriage, the tawdriness(sp?), ... is what upsets most people who were upset by it. Another small skirmish in the culture wars.

epic

no, im pretty sure the outrage is because he's black. and "desperate houswives" is supposed to be married women, right? white middle-class men are afraid of their wives going off and sleeping with black men.

Sage said:
no, im pretty sure the outrage is because he's black. and "desperate houswives" is supposed to be married women, right? white middle-class men are afraid of their wives going off and sleeping with black men.
no thats your opinion. Ive been upset with this show, and others like it that no longer respect marriage. Ill guarantee it to you that him being black has absolutely nothing to do with the controversy. How many shows have black/white relationships, any of those shows get this much attention? Nope.

think what you will,
epic

Sage said:

Only I have yet to see a black man sleeping around with the "desperate housewives" characters in any of the episodes specially since this show is new.

I really think its about the fact that popular culture keeps promoting that sports heroes or players in high school, college and the national leagues are supposed to get all of the hot looking women just because they are jocks.

Add to the fact the whole "shaved bald is better" movement, and I have seen it at clubs and pubs.

Akumajou said:
I really think its about the fact that popular culture keeps promoting that sports heroes or players in high school, college and the national leagues are supposed to get all of the hot looking women just because they are jocks.

Add to the fact the whole "shaved bald is better" movement, and I have seen it at clubs and pubs.

now, see, i've never heard of this "shaved bald is better" thing, it sounds to me like something totally made up. that's why i assumed at first you were making a joke. that's ludicrous that people would get upset because someone is promoting shaved bald as better... it's like saying sideburns is better is offensive. stupid.

and i dont know what your deal is with seeing sports players get all the girls. ive never heard anyone complain about that either. it's silly. yeah, guys who pplay sports get women easily. duh. didnt you go to high school? it's not debatable. and ive never known anyone to complain about it.

now, the race issue, THAT is a real issue and very sensative.

epicstruggle said:
Sage said:
no thats your opinion. Ive been upset with this show, and others like it that no longer respect marriage. Ill guarantee it to you that him being black has absolutely nothing to do with the controversy. How many shows have black/white relationships, any of those shows get this much attention? Nope.

think what you will,
epic

The woman isn't married on the show, so it has nothing to do with marriage.

RussSchultz said:
Well, race and a naked lady.

good point. the naked lady is definitely an issue :p (i haven't seen it so i didnt know exactly what it showed)

Back