Anyone know what Multisample Masking does in Rivatuner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JarHead

Newcomer
Hi,
I just upgraded from a Radeon 8500 to a Geforce4 TI4400. I'm using Rivatuner for tweaks, and I was wondering what "Enable Multisample Masking" does in the D3D Antialiasing tab does. I thought the 4xs mode already did multisampling (and supersampling)? By the way, I think the IQ is just as good as the 8500 (and better than the TI200 I had before that), and runs at higher frame rates. As far as I can tell, the quincunx mode is also not as blurry as it used to be.

click on the question mark in the title bar of riva tuner and then on the multisample mask opion. The help window will explain the option.

From the DirectX8 documentation (emphasis mine):

"Full-scene antialiasing is done in Direct3D by using multisampling on each pixel. When multisampling is enabled all subsamples of a pixel are updated in one pass, but when used for other effects that involve multiple rendering passes, the application can specify that only some subsamples are to be affected by a given rendering pass. This latter approach enables simulation of motion blur, depth of field focus effects, reflection blur, and so on."

My guess would be that "Multisample Masking" refers to the ability to "specify that only some subsamples are to be affected". Sounds a bit like somewhat reduced T-buffer functionality to me.

It 'is' the same as T-Buffer funtionality. Voodoo 5's obviously support Direct3D8's Multisample Mask, and have been the only cards to support this feature so far.

A Bit Confusing...

Cosmo: The people in this forum (besides me) are the smartest on the net. I've been following the Rev around for years.

arjan de lumens: It sounds like you're saying enabling this feature makes the AA LESS like the T-buffer in the Voodoo 5

Colourless: It sounds like you're saying enabling this feature makes the AA MORE like the T-buffer in the Voodoo 5

Can someone clear this up for a dummy like me? I bought this card (and got sucked into the Radeon 8500 Smoothvision hype) because I wanted a good replacement for my Voodoo 5. So if there's a feature I can enable to make the AA more like the Voodoo's, I'm all over it.

Thanks Again,

Re: A Bit Confusing...

"The people in this forum (besides me) are the smartest on the net. I've been following the Rev around for years."

Yes but sorely lacking in social skills - sometimes you need a kick in the ass to get off your high horses.

And it worked. :)

Re: A Bit Confusing...

LittlePenny said:
CosmoKramer said:
"The people in this forum (besides me) are the smartest on the net. I've been following the Rev around for years."

Yes but sorely lacking in social skills - sometimes you need a kick in the ass to get off your high horses.

And it worked. :)

Regardless of your opinion on this forum's social skills, I don't much care for your personnal attempts to be witty. If something sounds like it could be offensive, chances are that it is, so don't say it.

I don't care much for your pointless reply.

Sometimes the only way to get through to the delicate geniuses is to attack their egos.

I wasnt originally going to respond to your blatantly rude trolling, cosmokramer, but i am not going to stand by and let you try to pass it off as a joke. If it was, it was offensive, and saying "i was doing it for your own good" or "you need it to ehlp you guys suck less" is not likely to help your cause (and is, in fact, further rudness on your part). I believe you owe everyone here an apology. However, given your last pitiful attempt at justification for your rudeness, i doubt we will see an apology out of you.
Thanks, and have a nice day.

What then, Cosmo, is your reason for visiting this forum?

I usually don't care much for personal insults from people I don't know but if your insult applies to all forum visitors and you continue with this, you will be banned. You will then have a much more pleasant experience participating in other forums where there are more competent folks with more social skills and are less egoistic.

This thread is locked. Jarhead, please start a new thread and my apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back