Has Nvidia said we are sorry?

dream caster

Newcomer
This is a question that haunts my mind, specially now that this round of Nvidia video cards looks good.
I know Ati has had some not so defendable optimizations in their past (in my opinion much less questionable than those that Nvidia tried to use last year), but they do have said we are sorry, we won't do it again, and have never been defiant as Nvidia.

Nvidia has caused me a strong aversion to them and probably i would give them the benefit of doubt if i knew they at least have said "we are sorry", and I'd start considering buying an Nvidia video card.

Tim, I'm sorry. From the bottom of my heart, please forgive me.

kickintheass.gif

No, nVidia never publically admitted they deceived people nor screwed up with the FX line....and they most definately never said they were sorry.

digitalwanderer said:
...nor screwed up with the FX line

Wrong. They've said a number of times now that they made a real mess of the NV30, and - later on - how the entire NV3x line wasn't all it could have been, and that it was a disappointment compared to what the competition was offering.

They haven't apologised for their behaviour though, you're right.

John Reynolds said:
Tim, I'm sorry. From the bottom of my heart, please forgive me.

kickintheass.gif
A. I love you too, John.
B. Elite Bastards really does have the best smileys.

Ati has apologized at least twice as i remember rather vaguely; once in a Doom2 level, less quality more frames per second issue and more lately also but i do not remember wich this second instance was.

It may sound crazy but I feel i cannot "forgive" Nvidia, as it was said in a poll in this forum, (i.e. buy an Nvidia video card) if they make no sign of being different.

You guys just confirmed what I thought.

dream caster said:
Ati has apologized at least twice as i remember rather vaguely; once in a Doom2 level, less quality more frames per second issue and more lately also but i do not remember wich this second instance was.

It may sound crazy but I feel i cannot "forgive" Nvidia, as it was said in a poll in this forum, (i.e. buy an Nvidia video card) if they make no sign of being different.

Ati cheated in Doom 2? Where they blitting the game wrong? :LOL: ;)

K.I.L.E.R said:
dream caster said:

Ati cheated in Doom 2? Where they blitting the game wrong? :LOL: ;)

I was confused it was in Quake III (year 2001) :oops:

nVidia acknowledged user discontent with "brilinear" filtering in the release notes to the drivers that first added the optimization toggles.

I wouldn't expect any further apologies than that.

It's not like they really have anything to truly apologise about anyhow, all the optimizations (except for NV4x's anisotropic filtering, which I dislike - (and by the way OpenGL guy, NV3x users don't suffer the issue, would have put this in the other thread, but a certain moderator who contributed nothing but insults to the discussion closed the thread...)) are software based - it's not like there are unavoidable hardware shortcuts being forced upon you.

Isn't there a rule against posts made soley for the purpose of a personal attack on these forums (especially if you are a moderator)?

radar1200gs said:
Isn't there a rule against posts made soley for the purpose of a personal attack on these forums (especially if you are a moderator)?
Isn't there also a rule that state that rather than reviving a closed thread, you should discuss why it was closed with the moderator who closed it and the appropriate action to take? I mean, come on, make it a little more blatant.

(Dear Moderators--if you would like to remove this post as well as the two that came before it in addition to editing out the offending part of Radar's original post, rock on!)

Cheating or not, you got what you paid for. There were sufficient benchmarks and quality comparisons to inform the public. Geforce FX was just a Geforce 4 with some floating-point pixel shader support. In the end all that matters is the gamer's opinion. They were still able to play DirectX 8.1 games at competitive performance, and they were glad NVIDIA introduced optimizations that allowed them to play DirectX 9 games without much really noticable quality loss. In fact some gamers with ATI cards would have loved to sacrifice some quality for the great performance increases these optimizations could bring. Anyone really caring about untweaked quality and performance bought an ATI card (including me), so what's there to complain about?

Does XGI, S3 and Intel have to say sorry for delivering hardware that couldn't keep up with the R300 generation? If NVIDIA had to appologise, what exactly would you like to hear? NV40 is their answer. Perfect for me.

Nick said:
In the end all that matters is the gamer's opinion. They were still able to play DirectX 8.1 games at competitive performance, and they were glad NVIDIA introduced optimizations that allowed them to play DirectX 9 games without much really noticable quality loss.
That might hold some truth if it was universal, but of course its not since the optimisations are mostly not global - great if you only played games that were frequently benchmarked, not so great if you played games that weren't. Being able to play your games as the developer intended would be nice as well.

radar1200gs said:
Yes, but you're exempt from that rule. It was either that or ban you, and we've had too many requests not to ban you since you're sooo entertaining at times. 8)

Posts made soley for the purpose of a personal attack are not allowed, unless they're attacking you after posting up something exceptionally stupid....again. ;)

whql said:
That might hold some truth if it was universal, but of course its not since the optimisations are mostly not global - great if you only played games that were frequently benchmarked, not so great if you played games that weren't. Being able to play your games as the developer intended would be nice as well.
Well, like I said I had an ATI card for that generation so I wouldn't know which games didn't run on NV30. :rolleyes: Could you sum up some of them that became unplayable because of the enforced optimizations? Thanks.

Nick said:
Well, like I said I had an ATI card for that generation so I wouldn't know which games didn't run on NV30. :rolleyes:
Which clearly makes you perfectly qualified to make the blanket statements that you did on behalf on nv30 users! :rolleyes:
Could you sum up some of them that became unplayable because of the enforced optimizations? Thanks.
I said that games that recieve the most optimization are the ones that are benchmarked - if you forumalted an opinion of where any of the nv3x stuff was in comparison to ati's line based on the benchmarks that are most popularly benchmarked then that isn't telling the complete picture, especally if you play games that weren't used as benchmarks. Thats why a lot more reviews started using fraps with games that weren't previously used as benchmarks and many of those reviews clearly highlighted the differences.

Back