ATI Radeon 8500 XT......

Sabastian

Regular
I think there will be a varient of the RV250 lauched at Cebit just not the one in this pic. (So the article says anyhow.) 8)

http://www.theinquirer.net/16030203.htm

8500xt.jpg

ATI Radeon 8500 XT no poisson d'avril

Picture shock
By Fuad Abazovic in Hannover, 16/03/2002 13:06:14 BST

WE SURPRISED quite a few ATI executives today by showing them pictures of card that we know as Radeon 8500 XT that should be clocked 300/600 and use BGA chips that Geforce 4 and FireGL 8800 cards are using.
ATI said that it will not launch this card now, or at least a card "with this name" at CeBIT but some partners already have some prototypes of the cards.

The RV 250 is as, we pre announced for ATI, done and dusted and Eva's friend from the parking lot told us that the card will compete against GeForce 4 TI, but not which particularly flavour.

Some samples of RV 250 should be available on the 1st of April.

We learned that if you remove the TV out from Radeon 8500 LE board you can get the price below $100, to bring it to the MX end of things.

RV 300 is an exciting product. The ones who have seen the spec are "thrilled to bits" about it, and it's far nearer than most expect.

Found this at CeBIT: [thanx to Rage3D for hosting our (hjs, BA, GF mike, Slashhead) pic ]

Radeon8000series.jpg

Very nice :) It's the Radeon 8000 program of Club 3D.

DaveBaumann said:
LOL I did it again. ;) I think there is something wrong with my win98 partition. Can't view this webpage with it, what kind of server are you running here. I read somewhere that there is a prob accessing the database on Win2000 if you are running 9X.(is that correct?) Anyhow sorry for the anxious posting of a message without first checking the news here, I only did it because I found the article with my win98 partition but had to switch to Win2000 to actually get in here. (I think my Win98 partition is do for fresh install)

Sabastian

Slashhead said:
Found this at CeBIT:

Radeon8000series.jpg

Very nice :) It's the Radeon 8000 program of Club 3D.

The RV250 is supposed to be clocked at 350Mhz :eek: according to this, hmm. Man I love rumors and stuff.

Sabastian

I've been trying to follow this GF4 ATi response stuff, and it seems like it's getting less clear all the time. They preemptively announce the 128mb 8500s, an LE at 250/250 and a standard 8500 assumedly at 275/275. The LE at $199 is targeted at the GF4 MX460 and maybe the runoff of the Ti 500, Ti 200 and the 128mb versions of that card, so nVidia throws back this $199 TBD Ti 4200. The standard 128mb 8500 would run up against the Ti 4400, but can't really compete against that card at an identical 275/275. The rumors had been that this would be a 300/300 card, which makes more sense - a Ti 500-type refresh effort. Still, $299 seems like too much for this now.

A 350mhz core with the current design can only be possible with a die shrink, I'd think. So this sounds like a .13mu RV250 designee, without minor design changes. But why match this up with 275 or even 300mhz memory? And is there a real R250, with real structural and feature changes, even if minor? Isn't that the only way to challenge nVidia's 4600? Or do they add a little speed, broaden the product line and drop the prices, sell DX8 cards on economics, and get the R300 out before nVidia releases their NV30?

What makes sense to me from a marketing strategy standpoint is a $150-200 250/250 LE, a $250-275 300/300 standard card, and a $325-375 350/350 die-shrunk top-end, all with existing design but with more mature drivers. Sort of like the GF3 Ti generation, and enough to get them through to the fall.

But nothing solid seems to be happening. Are they waiting on the Ti 4200 specs before making their move? :-?

Also the Club 3D 7000 progam felt in my hands, but nothing new as far as i know. Im not following the 7000 line of ATI.

Radeon7000series.jpg

the rv200 has Truform, SmartShader and HyperZII??? i thought it was just a R100 refresh...

I really don't know, i just made a copy of the Club 3D PR book. Perhaps they made some typing errors, but they have lot's of those books and it was ment for resellers only.

Did anybody catch the Joe-Namath-Guarantee? Having just translated that small blurb about RV250/R300, they said that ATI guarantees a release before NV30...The release is looking like an End-Of-Year 2002, which puts it smack-dab within my DX9 prediction (from the other thread) :)

Typedef,

Actually what is said is that they promise that the RV250 will
be announced before NV30. (this is not from babelfish, I speak some french). They say the RV250 announcement will be made "very soon".

Regards,
Serge

Les véritables nouveautés chez ATI seront le RV250 et le RV300 qui sortiront cette année avec une annonce très proche pour le RV250. ATI nous a garantit cette annonce avant le NV30 de NVIDIA.
Le RV300 sera là vers la fin de l'année en même temps que DirectX 9 avec de grosses nouveautés promises par ATI notamment au niveau de la vidéo. Rien de plus ne nous a été dit pour ne pas casser le suspens.

translates to (this is the best i can do, perhaps a native speaker could comment):

ATI's actual new products are the RV250 and the RV300 which will come out this year with the RV250 announcement coming up very soon. ATI has promised us that this announcement will be made before NVidia's NV30 announcement. The RV300 [aside: what is that - the R300??] will be released towards the end of the year at the same time as DX9, and is to contain significant new features (notably in relation to video). To avoid spoiling any surpises, nothing further was said by ATI.

Typedef,

I could have sworn you said that you believed Nvidia would be out first with a DX9 part...I don't get that impression from what's been said here. ;)

I still stick with my oen prediction: nVidia and ATI will be within 2 oe 3 months of each other in terms of a DX9 part release, but I feel ATI will be first out of the blocks...

Back