RE4 announced for PS2.

Formerly GameCube-exclusive entry in Capcom's survival horror series will appear on PlayStation 2 in 2005.

This is no surprise, at all. And that's remind me a discussion we had on thoses very boards about this subject... :LOL:

Anyway, the internet must be on fire, as we speak, one of the greatest moment of internet flames ever is going on! Damage Control, delusionals, haters, people starting bad mouthing RE4, and all that with a mouthful of crow for ones, and full of venom for the others...

edit:typos

I knew a PlayStation 2 version was coming for over 6 months, but I wasn't allowed to tell anything about it by the person who told me. Apparantly he was right after all. :)

The reason why they started anew with RE4 was mostly to be able to create a PS2 version alongside the GameCube version. I fear for the look of the game however... Mikami isn't very fond of PlayStation 2... ;)

As Capcom's financial state is disastrous and their big titles are all sinking, it's inevitable move.

Readykilowatt said:
This is not surprising news, but why is Capcom announcing this before the Gamecube release of RE4?

Taking GC RE4 as a hostage against Nintendo? ;)

Deepak said:
PC-Engine said:
Deepak said:
PC-Engine said:
Lack of color maybe?

Haven't you seen the demo. What color you want?

Maybe you should ask JA instead of me genius? ;)

And what is your personal opinion? ;)

Why does my personal opinion matter? Personally I think the color pallete choice gives the game a certain atmosphere. It could've definitely used more color in certain environments though.

Well that's quite a death sentence for the poor little cube :D Now we only need the new Zelda to come out for the Revolution and we can bury the Gamecube right away! :?

I had a feeling this would happen but i'm still surprised. I cannot help but think that the PS2 version will look like ass. I'm pretty sure it will still sell a lot better than the GC version, so it's an understandable move by Capcom. I bet Nintendo is pissed.

thop said:
Well that's quite a death sentence for the poor little cube :D Now we only need the new Zelda to come out for the Revolution and we can bury the Gamecube right away! :?

I had a feeling this would happen but i'm still surprised. I cannot help but think that the PS2 version will look like ass. I'm pretty sure it will still sell a lot better than the GC version, so it's an understandable move by Capcom. I bet Nintendo is pissed.

Could as well be that Capcom will do something for Nintendo in return. RE fans will buy the GameCube version, since they already bought it for RE0, RE1 and all the other games in the series. and because RE4 will appear in a superior form on GameCube first. That's why I don't really think that the GameCube version will suffer that badly.

Whatever they are doing in return gotta be huge! Because it doesn't get much bigger than RE4 this generation (for the GC). And the problem isn't RE4 sales (it will still sell well), but all the GCs that would've been sold because of RE4.

Capcom's PS2-tech has improved drastically the past year, judging by Onimusha 3, Viewtiful Joe and DMC3. RE4 footage has curiously declined in quality since it was first shown... I wonder how much in their engines that is tailor-made for each game, and how much is part of a company-wide platform independent library/engine.

I will stick with the GC version.

From a "technical" point of view, it will be intersting to see how the ps2 port will end up.

cybamerc said:
VNZ said:
RE4 footage has curiously declined in quality since it was first shown...
This is simply not true.
Perhaps they just picked screens that better suit my taste back in the earlier stage of development.

bioh43.jpg

resident2.jpg

A much prefer the suggestive mood of these shots over the in-your-face zombie action of the current crop.

Exploration seems more interesting than brute action for Resident Evil.
It needs to get you in the mood, I think they should get some inspiration from Silent Hill to create a real cool atmosphere, and it's obvious that action really breaks the mood.
ATM RE4 looks like a 3rd person shooter more than anything else...

VNZ:

> Perhaps they just picked screens that better suit my taste back in the
> earlier stage of development.

Obviously the game has changed a lot since then and a lot of people have expressed how they prefered the look of the earlier versions. But to say that the game has been downgraded because you prefer a different art style is silly.

not suprising at all, since nintendo already gave up on the gc. their release list have been pathetic for a long time... very likely will zelda will be push back to next generation too... the ds is their main priority i think.

Back