Beyond3D Wolves Needed to Tear This One Apart

Status
Not open for further replies.
telling customers to go figure it out on their own when they paid as much as 600 for an ati product isnt a good way to create good customer perception of the company, whether they downloaded a 3rd party program or not. just reading your posts in this thread its obvious you are completely naive and ignorant to just about everything. a lot of people will d/l a program not knowing it isnt supported or might cause problems with their current software. lots of people dont understand how a computer works, much less driver 'enhancing' programs. do you think verizon will turn away customers looking for help with their cellphone because they tried to use a non verizon product with it?

OpenGL guy claims 3rd party tweakers cause (unecessary) support calls for ATi.

Frankly, that is bullshit. ATi never wrote the tweaker, they have no obligation what soever to provide any form of support for it.

If they do provide support, it is by their own conscious decision to do so. Nothing else requires them to provide the support.

Do you realize there will always be a group of people that will install such 3rd party software and still manage to screw their hardware up?

It's hard to put a number or proportion to it, but there will always be some that do this, whether they have ATI or NVidia hardware. They don't read/pay attention to any of the warnings (even if it were stressed in some form). They will always blame their hardware manufacturer just because "it won' worth with tweak x or overclock y".

Look, there will ALWAYS be more people who are dumb enough to buy crappy hardware (and until they do research, they will be pissed or blissful when they find out what it can do). There will ALWAYS be some population that screws up their hardware with 3rd party programs. If everyone know EXACTLY what they were buying and EXACTLY what they were going to do with it, there wouldn't be a need for tech support and whatever... but it happens... and it wouldn't surprise me that if there does not go a day where someone reports a hardware failure due to a 3rd party program.

All tweaker programs are used at your own risk.

for instance, this is what rivatuner has to say:
RivaTuner is supplied "as-is". The author assumes no liability for damages, direct or consequential, which may result from the use of RivaTuner.

Just like overclocking (except for manufacturer guaranteed overclocks).

If you screw your $600 hardware up, blame yourself, not anyone else.

Sure, but has that stopped people from calling tech support saying this? It's rather unlikely.

You haven't addressed the problem at all yet.

But they get the damn calls and emails, Greg, and someone has to be paid to answer them. And some customers might not appreciate the subtle difference b/w them writing an app and not--or not care, when they're trying to get their $200+ toy working.

Anad practically every piece of software on the planet says,

"We're not responsible for anything that might happen to you, your system, or your dog. Thanks for your $$$!"

As I said, I've just experienced what I believe is a tweaker-app-related BSOD. I know my way around PCs better than most, so I was able to solve the problem myself. What of most people who buy and view video cards as black boxes or consoles?

Nice you've found another tree to bark under, as your first few have fallen thru to China. :p

Deathlike2 said:

Sure, but has that stopped people from calling tech support saying this? It's rather unlikely.

You haven't addressed the problem at all yet.

I have addressed the problem - try reading. Responsibility for tweaker programs rest with the author of said programs, noone else.

I have addressed the problem - try reading. Responsibility for tweaker programs rest with the author of said programs, noone else.

Well, let me spell the problem out for you then.

This is what you said (pay attention to the bold and italics):

OpenGL guy claims 3rd party tweakers cause (unecessary) support calls for ATi.

Frankly, that is bullshit. ATi never wrote the tweaker, they have no obligation what soever to provide any form of support for it.

In bold, OpenGL guy is right... believe it or not, people do call because they screw up their systems with a 3rd party utility. This is a fact.

In italics, this isn't BS, this actually happens. If tech support gets calls about their "cup holder" being broken (the old tech support tale), this isn't far from it. How does one prevent a user from calling tech support when they have used a 3rd party program to screw up their hardware? You can't. Why would you presume people would not call tech support when they have used a 3rd party program to screw up their hardware? Not everyone is the brightest blub of the bunch... Tech support doesn't have to handle the call..but... THEY DO GET THE CALL.

In bold and italics, we all agree with that... but that won't stop the calls regarding 3rd party programs screwing up the hardware.

Note: Question in bold.

Just because people call it doesn't automatically follow that they will get support.

If that were how the world works I could call my bank and withdraw a million dollars regardless of whether I actually had a million dollars or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back