VIA Accuqire STMicro

Rookie

Newcomer
According the source of Taiwan newspaper,VIA will held a news conference and announce to accuqire STMicro Grahpics divison At CeBIT,Time shouble be local time 14.March...

It would be great if they did but I have a feeling that they would hold off if they did till they had more time for a revised roadmap/product line and marketing strategy. IDK, it be great if they did.

For all we know, can't they buy this technology and just incorporate it into a integrated chip and forego the retail sector all together? That would be pretty bad for PVR enthusiasts.

VIA has already announced that it intends to enter the desktop graphics market.

By the way I can't see anything on the cebit press broadcasting pages about via for the 14th......

Looks to me like with all the graphics makers entering chipsets , it just makes sense for all the chipset makers to enter graphics . I think things are going to get very interesting very soon .

hmm,:( no VIA/Kyro deal... according to the same source,they reported that VIA/STMicro currently coperation only limited on mutully surrogate.
VIA's Processor/Chipset cope with STMicro's gfx chip to occupy more desktop platform market.VIA dely that they will accuqire or license
STMicro tech.The S3 division will continue target mobile grahpics chip...

Maybe the timeframe is not mature?

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2002/03/15&pages=04&seq=24

Charles Chou, Taipei; Christy Lee, DigiTimes.com [Friday 15 March 2002]

VIA Technologies has confirmed that the graphics division of STMicroelectronics (ST) is indeed the candidate it has been talking with concerning its graphics chip operation. The chipset designer said that after initial negotiations, it plans to cooperate with ST by obtaining graphics chips or related technology from the company, instead of acquiring ST’s graphics unit directly.

However, the deal has not been officially finalized.

According to sources, the primary focus of the cooperation is ST’s new-generation, better-performance Kyro III graphics core, not ST’s present product lines. Motherboard and graphics card manufacturers agree that the technology would allow VIA to effectively enhance its competitiveness in the desktop graphics chip market, especially as Intel has raised the graphics performance of its 845GL integrated chipset to the same level as that of the high-end 845G.

At CeBIT Hannover, both companies introduced their new chip products. VIA displayed five lines – its P4-based chipset P4X333, DVD-ROM drive chip, Ethernet chip, multimedia chip for IAs (information appliances) and new-generation C3 processor. ST launched its latest graphics chip, the Kyro II SE, with a clock speed reaching 200MHz. However, the clock speeds of the latest products from competitors ATI Technologies and Nvidia have achieved 300MHz.

Back