New Metroid: Hunters and Rayman DS shots

I can't say much about the geometry from those pics, but i think it should be better than the few-polygons-per-limb monsters in Quake. The effects etc. are certainly way better than in Quake.

The pixelation might be a problem, but i've heard it's barely noticeable on actual units. I'll pass final judgement on that when i see it myself.

Zurich you said that Metroid: Hunters looks like Quake with the filtering of Doom.. so why bother posting GL Quake pics as if that's what you meant?

In the end you can post the worst possible MH pic you can find next to the best possible Quake pics you could find all day long. Doesn't change anything. Oh and of course you think Metroid: Hunters doesn't look impressive, that's a given ;)

Teasy said:
Zurich you said that Metroid: Hunters looks like Quake with the filtering of Doom.. so why bother posting GL Quake pics as if that's what you meant?

In the end you can post the worst possible MH pic you can find next to the best possible Quake pics you could find all day long. Doesn't change anything. Oh and of course you think Metroid: Hunters doesn't look impressive, that's a given ;)

Only one of the pics was GL, and that was just to show the effects of bilinear filtering.

Metroid Hunters probably has the benefit of improved alpha effects and particles, but I still think it's a pixelated, blurry mess, especially compared to other near 10 year old software rendered FPSes (as demonstrated).

Hey, someone has to be the 'push back' against the Nintendo cheerleading camp!

(as an aside, I've been disappointed that Nintendo has not yet sent out demo/promotional units out to shops - I want to see how the lack of bilinear filtering + unknown screen quality will affect the final, moving image before I buy. This would pretty much strictly be a Super Robot Wars/Advance Wars/Final Fantasy remake purchase, but still!)

Hunters definitely looks like it has much higher polygon counts then Quake, and its a lot more colourful with better looking textures.

I look forward to seeing some outside environments on Hunters. With Prime we never saw outside environments in shots before the game was released. But they were the most beautiful parts of the game IMO (like the first part of the ice level in Prime). So I look forward to seeing the outdoor environments in Hunters.

PC-Engine said:
How much RAM do you need to run Quake 1?

What kind of cpu do you need to run it at 60fps?

Well, re-make those calculations for a target screen resolution of about 256x192 and imagine a version of Quake that uses a hardware T&L unit to off-load T&L from the CPU (there are strong rumors that hint to a T&L unit being in the DS's GPU).

Also, do not forget that you are running the game from a fairly low latency ROM now and not from a CD or from an HDD.

Nintendo DS's ROM seems to be quite fast and low latency: I know the GBA ROM interface was.

We really need to relax and wait to actually see/play the game running on a DS screen(s). The DS does'nt lend itself well to taking good screen shots. Remember how awful the PSX took screen shots? But also remember seeing Tony Hawk runningon that small PSOne screen? What a difference it made..it looked so sharp and clearer than on a 20" TV screen. Same goes for DS.

Panajev2001a said:
Well, re-make those calculations for a target screen resolution of about 256x192 and imagine a version of Quake that uses a hardware T&L unit to off-load T&L from the CPU (there are strong rumors that hint to a T&L unit being in the DS's GPU).

Well Quake wasn't limited so much in its T&L rather than its pixel fillrate (hence Quake got a nice boost on Voodoo cards with much improved fillrate).

Panajev2001a said:
Also, do not forget that you are running the game from a fairly low latency ROM now and not from a CD or from an HDD.
And don't forget Quake loaded essentially everything into RAM on level load. So it really only effects level load time.

Anyways I'm waiting judgement on seeing the thing in real life.

Doesn't N64 have Quake ? you can compare it to that perhaps. But I like Metroid better.

And Nintendo weren't kidding when they said they're going to use map for the second screen. Can you change the view of the second screen to a third person view, while the first screen is first person view ? That would look better.

Cryect said:
Panajev2001a said:

Well Quake wasn't limited so much in its T&L rather than its pixel fillrate (hence Quake got a nice boost on Voodoo cards with much improved fillrate).

You miss my point. Quake I still pushed the FPU and ona 67 MHz ARM9 the FPU would be a problem, bringing CPU performance down (even if we used fixed-point math).

Still for a 256x192 screen, 60 MPixels/s are not bad from a fill-rate point of view.

Voodoo 2 had only 90 MPixels/s and they had to render to a much higer reslution (most people wanted 640x480 at least in Quake I).

The DS, taking the resolution into account, owns Voodoo 2 fill-rate wise.

And don't forget Quake loaded essentially everything into RAM on level load. So it really only effects level load time

Again, you miss my point.

To do what you said the DS would need much more RAM than 4 MB of main RAM so it cannot afford (as the N64 version could not afford) to keep everything in RAM, but it would have to stream data from the ROM.

Zurich

Metroid Hunters probably has the benefit of improved alpha effects and particles, but I still think it's a pixelated, blurry mess, especially compared to other near 10 year old software rendered FPSes (as demonstrated).

I played quite a lot of Quake 1, so I remember very well how pixelated it looked when running in software. Much more pixelated then the video's I've seen of Metroid: Hunters, were you can see barely any pixelation 95% of the time. The only way Hunters looks worse then Quake is the occasional polygon distortion (perspective correction). But on the other hand Hunters has higher polygon counts, better texturing (resolution, colour and variety) and better transparency and partical effects. Quake can run in higher resolutions of course, but DS's 3" screen more then makes up for that (256x192 on a 3" screen is a lot better then 320x240 on a 15" screen)

Teasy said:
Zurich

I played quite a lot of Quake 1, so I remember very well how pixelated it looked when running in software. Much more pixelated then the video's I've seen of Metroid: Hunters, were you can see barely any pixelation 95% of the time. The only way Hunters looks worse then Quake is the occasional polygon distortion (perspective correction). But on the other hand Hunters has higher polygon counts, better texturing (resolution, colour and variety) and better transparency and partical effects. Quake can run in higher resolutions of course, but DS's 3" screen more then makes up for that (256x192 on a 3" screen is a lot better then 320x240 on a 15" screen)

Then we'll have just have to agree to disagree.

Back