Einstein's theory of relativity has been proven

With a bit more testing that could well happen in 10 years, now to link that with quantam mechanics and we've cracked it.. easy right? lol

sytaylor said:
With a bit more testing that could well happen in 10 years, now to link that with quantam mechanics and we've cracked it.. easy right? lol

I wish.

What I would like to know is what this proof will mean in the near or distant future?

Well if you understand how the universe is constructed you can learn how to manipulate its very fabric. With all of the forces exposed to you, you can use them to your advantage, so for example when we discovered gravity, we could start to better use it to our advantage. The social implications will be negligable, as have most discoviers of science to date.

Now. don't get me wrong but there was already enough evidence to support General Relativity, which makes these "experiments" leave a bland taste. Even the European mission, which intends to measure the equality of heavy mass and moved mass with a relative accuracy of 10^-18, is kind of uniteresting except for the preciseness of its instruments.
LISA could be interesting, as it could measure gravity waves.

Huh? This relates only to a small part of General Rel. Other GR predictions have been routinely observed for decades (gravitational lensing, for example).

All we have to do know is find a way to put GR and QM together. I think string theory is most promising so far.

There is another test that's been on the backburner for a decade waiting for launch which is Gravity Probe B which will measure the frame dragging effect much more accurately.

One thing I saw that was interesting of late, tho its not new scienceis that Canada inaugurated its first synchrotron. One of 12 on the planet now. I was amazed to hear the speeding up of electrons to near the speed of light created light millions of time brighter than the sun which is then used in very detailed imaging.

What I found cool is that the light is full spectrum. It covers all known bandwidths so to speak... Is that found only with electrons? Or is any particle accelerated to near speed of light achieve the same result of emitting light across the entire spectrum?

If not I wonder what that says about the nature of electrons?

pax said:
What I found cool is that the light is full spectrum. It covers all known bandwidths so to speak... Is that found only with electrons? Or is any particle accelerated to near speed of light achieve the same result of emitting light across the entire spectrum?

Any accelerating charge will emit electromagnetic radiation. Electrons are chosen in synchrotrons because they're much less massive than protons and hence easier to accelerate and control.

pax said:

well, every accelerated charged particle emits electro-magnetic radiation that's a classical phenomenon known since Maxwell...

EDIT: typo

nutball said:
Any accelerating charge will emit electromagnetic radiation. Electrons are chosen in synchrotrons because they're much less massive than protons and hence easier to accelerate and control.

Damn nutball,
2nd time today that you're posting almost exaclty the same stuff as me... is that coincidence or R U a physicist as well?

hupfinsgack said:
nutball said:

Damn nutball,
2nd time today that you're posting almost exaclty the same stuff as me... is that coincidence or R U a physicist as well?

Yeah, I have a physics background and I work in a research group (but I'm not really research active any more, so retained knowledge is dropping exponentially :)).

nutball said:
Yeah, I have a physics background and I work in a research group (but I'm not really research active any more, so retained knowledge is dropping exponentially :)).

hehe it takes a crook to catch one. :LOL:

sytaylor said:
for example when we discovered gravity

Um, when did we ever discover gravity, and how the heck did we manage before then, with the atmosphere leaking out into space and everything floating around, planets not following any orbits etc? :LOL: That's a bit like saying Columbus discovered america when there were people living there already since millennia when he set foot on the beach... :LOL:

Oh and by the way:

K.I.L.E.R said:
The Bible also says this is true.

It DOES? The same bible that states pi=3? Which verse would that be? :LOL:

Guden Oden said:
sytaylor said:
for example when we discovered gravity

Um, when did we ever discover gravity, and how the heck did we manage before then, with the atmosphere leaking out into space and everything floating around, planets not following any orbits etc? :LOL: That's a bit like saying Columbus discovered america when there were people living there already since millennia when he set foot on the beach... :LOL:

Oh and by the way:

K.I.L.E.R said:
The Bible also says this is true.

It DOES? The same bible that states pi=3? Which verse would that be? :LOL:

Bible says PI is infinite and starts off as 3.14 and rounds it off to 3.141592654.

Back