• Mas Super Pro Stick

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

j^aws

Veteran
1player1.gif

X-Arcade Solo: http://www.x-arcade.com/solo.shtml

ps2-hori-real-arcade-pro.jpg

Hori Real Arcade Pro: http://www.hori.ne.jp/products/ps2/controller/realarc_pro/index.html

Gamecube-2.jpg

Mas Super Pro Stick: http://www.massystems.com/ProStick.html

I'm in the mood for some old skool arcade action! :devilish:
I'm thinking about a decent, 'proper' arcade stick to add to my collection and have narrowed the choice down to the above three. Who needs analogue control when you have these bad boys! :cool:
Any suggestions on the one I should buy :?: Thanks...

Simply by looking at the pics I'd pick the bottom alternative because of the large number of buttons available, with the slight objection it may be too thick in comparison to its height, making it run the risk of wobbling when doing violent up/down motions. There's also nowhere to rest the palm/wrist of the right hand on that unit.

The X-Arcade seem to be the most stable and ergonomic platform, but it has (admittedly not a lot) less buttons too. The middle choice has the same number of buttons, but it looks smaller so it's probably not as stable as the X-Arcade, and the buttons are laid out in a long row which makes it hard to reach the outermost ones. On the plus side, it does have a proper ball joystick, which is very retro. :)

That said, I won't pick any of these three, simply because I haven't even looked at any of them in real life, much less touched one.

The hori one has a metal top surface, that's yucky to touch against bare skin. Feels clammy too after a while.

I have an earlier MAS stick, bought it about 8 years ago and I really like it.

Great stick and button feel, I believe he uses arcade components.

My friend got a few MAS sticks so I can vouch for their good-i-tude. (The current one seems a bit... complex, though. My friend's just have 8 buttons in two rows.)

Going by picture, I would tend to avoid the X-Arcade stick, as those two bottom buttons just look like they'd get in the way when you're trying to use the six in proper fighting game orientation.

Sadly I can't get used to playing with any of these sticks, though, as I need them to be very solid. I can't play with them on my lap, as they move around too much, and on the floor is a bit uncomfortable. Maybe some day I'll build a a mini-cabinet or hutch for them or something, but the sticks as they stand only take me 50% of the way.

ERP said:

The MAS stick look like it's homemade, using parts bought at happs.

You can do one yourself for far cheaper, there's tons of tutorials on the subject, and it's danm easy to do, too.

I have a Hori TTT and it works really fine, I will probably buy a Tekken 5 Hori arcade when released.

Arcade X felt fine although those kind of buttons are not my favourite ones.

When choosing one of them you have to take in mind that Hori ones are short stick ball with square base while Arcade X is a tear drop long stick with round base.

The Hori stick is a high quality arcade reproduction. The best products, if you can find them, were supplied by SEGA's cousin companies, ASCII/Agetec.

Thanks for all the info guys...
The Hori seems to be leading the poll...but I'm quite tempted to build my own now...but I'm lazy, have no time and wouldn't stop until I've built a full blown cabinet to house it! :devilish:
<sigh>...can't decide...</sigh>

Vysez said:
ERP said:

The MAS stick look like it's homemade, using parts bought at happs.

You can do one yourself for far cheaper, there's tons of tutorials on the subject, and it's danm easy to do, too.

Yes it pretty much is, but the overall construction quality is a lot better than I would manage, plus I'm incredibly lazy.

FWIW I also own a Hori stick and don't like it, I prefer the mode positive feel of the MAS stick.

Jaws said:
Thanks for all the info guys...
The Hori seems to be leading the poll...but I'm quite tempted to build my own now...but I'm lazy, have no time and wouldn't stop until I've built a full blown cabinet to house it! :devilish:
<sigh>...can't decide...</sigh>
Yep, that's what I did. Built my own by joypad-hacking, decided I didn't like the feel of it sat down, found a spare TV, built a cab...

I have the X-Arcade Solo - I like it a lot. I've never owned a MAS stick, but I usually hear very good things about them. I remember using a Hori stick or two back in the day, but I don't remember much about it.

Out of those, I recommend the Hori, but Hori is Japanese style stick, if you're not use to Japanese style stick, you'll more likely to hate it. But if you have no preference, forget what I said.

Back