Keep getting disconnected by my D-Link 504G Router

trust-no1

Newcomer
viewed my login history from my isp website and I have noticed that my 504g d-link router has disonnected me from the internet a lot of times..the time online varies from 6 seconds too 22hours..I rang my ISP and they say the disonnections have been user requested..so does that mean something on my computer is disonnecting me? or is ir a router settings problem..

Ive ran adaware and virus scanned my computer and found nothing..
Please help
THanx guys

Those problems are invariably router firmware issues. Try a newer (or older) firmware. That has always solved those kinds of problems for me on linksys/dlink/netgear routers.

HMm the thing is other people using the same router, and same firmware version aint experiencing this issue. Still a firmware issue?

I would try older firmware releases, but I can only seem to find the latest firmware version, which I currently already have installed :cry:

Well I would still say it is a firmware issue just going from my experience.

However, I suppose another possibility could be if you're running one or another of various p2p programs (or other similar network intensive programs) which could potentially be trying to initiate too many network connections too quickly and it is causing your router to lose connection.

trust-no1 said:
HMm the thing is other people using the same router, and same firmware version aint experiencing this issue. Still a firmware issue?

I would try older firmware releases, but I can only seem to find the latest firmware version, which I currently already have installed :cry:

If it's D-Link, it'll be a firmware issue. I don't no how many people you mean when you say 'other people', but believe me there are a significant number of people with issues with this and other D-Link routers:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/dlink

I nearly bought one, and changed my mind after reading all the horror stories in the DSLReports forum.

P69

I own a D-Link DI-624 wireless router. It is the bigest piece of shit hardware that has graced the earth. It routinely randomly restarts the WAN connection (check your router logs for restart timestamps and dhcp requests to the cable model), and also randomly restarts the wireless sections, and randomly disconnects wireless clients. Sometimes it will go a week at a time without any issue and other times it flakes out every 2 minutes. Nothing has changed in the meantime including my application usage.

As others have said, search the DSLReports DLink forum on "connection reset issue" or the like. As is evident, the DLink firmware engineers and quality-assurance engineers are incompetent.

I'm waiting for my Linksys router to be delivered.

Grab an old PC and use m0n0wall.
It's amazing - works awesome, tons of features, free.
I'm using it, and it works great - plus the featureset just can't be beat.
Give it a go!

I too can attest to Dlinks terrible products. I have an early model DI-604 and apparently it sometimes just decides it doesn't like to connect to any device that is set to anything other than 10MB/s. The especially annoying part is that there is no way to set the wan port to 10MB/s so unless your lucky and on a good day you can't use the damn thing as a router. Of course there is a firmware kludge of a "fix" that allows later models to set the wan port speed.

All I can say is buy Linksys next time, they seem to have better products from the start, and then better support when the going gets tough.

Back