Bought a GameCube today

Qroach

Veteran
Well, as I said in the past I'd pick up a GC after Super mario was out, today I picked up a Game Cube with Starfox and SMS. Starfox is a very polished title and reminds me of Disney just a little when it comes to character design. They definately haven't lost a thing.

I haven't played with SMS much yet. So I'll get into that later... I know it's a great game (with the biggest problem being the cameras) I still don't have much interest in the other titles out for the console, so imo I'll be waiting for a while regarding the next GC purchase. But I'll enjoy these two games...

It's great to see people who originally got one console and supported it to no end get a second console for the variety and AAA titles. I love having my GCN beside the Xbox I bought on launch day. Hopefully a lot of other people will go multi-console as well. It would cut down on some of the negative forum debates. After playing ED, SMS, and SFA, it's pretty hard not to have some love for Nintendo. :)

Congrats Quincy. I do want to warn you that SMS can be frustrating for some people (me, for instance) with the way they've handled the camera. Star Fox Adventures is pretty decent, but the amount of item collecting and the pace of the game feels strange to me.

those 3 letters acronym will kill me..

which game is SMS ?
ED= Eternal Darkness I suppose.

Well, the biggest issue I'm worried about is a lack of games that interest me. I said this before I got a GC and will say it after. the only games worth buying a cube for are Nintendos's and Rare. That statement is still very true imo. Except now you don't have the choice of Rare...

After Zelda comes out next year the game selection on GC will be pretty dry... Stuff like Mario Tennis and Mario Golf don't interest me (I'm a real sport gamer) and PSO will be on my xbox for certain. Meanwhile I know I'm going to be getting lot's of xbox games later this year and all next year. Ah well, at least I'll have the occasional Nintnedo game.

Ingenu said:
those 3 letters acronym will kill me..

which game is SMS ?
ED= Eternal Darkness I suppose.

SMS = Short messaging Service ( for the european youth the reason to have an handy )

I agree with Johnny. If you love games you need more than one system. I own a GCN , XB and GBA. And love them all. Although my XB has been collecting dust as of late. I still am a Nintendo fan but at least I can enjoy others too. I'll still pass on PS2. I honestly do not see that many games that interest me. My cousin let's me borrow one of his two PS2's for weeks on time as it is. So maybe with Sly or Ratchet I'll have to do that.

Qroach, the problem with your 2003 outlook on the Cube is that Nintendo are so damn quiet. Beleive me there is ALOT of great stuff coming next year but they are mum till closer to Christmas. I guess they dont want it to 'overshadow' thier Cube Christmas sales (not my reasing,thiers). Just enjoy the games. Now that BF and PD:O are delayed till spring you can enjoy alot of Cube games this year. SMS is GOTY IMO. The camera takes some getting used to. But the level design and objective design is second to no game. Other honorable menitions are Timesplitters 2 (hands on so far is that the Cube version 'might' actually be the one to purchase). Godzilla, gonna be a great mulitplayer game and tons of destruction and carnage. MOH, gonna have 4 player mode.

Among several other fun titles you really need to pick up Super Monkey Ball 2. I know I know, just forget out pride and pick it up. You wont be sorry. Like SMS it's a very humbling experience and both are for hardcore old school gamers. I just beat SMB2 last night. It's currently second to SMS on my 2002 list.

There's plenty of other really good games you haven't tried though, give some of them a go, rent some or something and buy what you like.

For instance there's:

Animal Crossing - allot of people weren't interested in this game until they tried it. Check out the forum at IGN, there's a thread about it there that shows it can suprise you.

Eternal Darkness - you have to give this a go, its not a game that anyone should pass up without giving it a try.

Rogue Leader - Everyone should at least try this game, its a very good game with brilliant visuals, if your a Star Wars fan then its a fantastic game!

Pikmin - can be a very addictive game, again at least try it.

Resident Evil - well I suppose if you hated past Res Evil games then you'll hate this, unless your a graphics whore. But if you do like Res Evil then its deffinately worth buying.

Super Monkey Ball 2 - this is another one of those games were if you don't at least try it you may miss allot of enjoyment.

Super Smash Brothers - a great game IMO, but if its not your sort of thing then not worth buying I suppose.

Wave Race - the best water racing game ever made, again you may miss something if you don't try this game.

I'm sure I missed a few.

There's plenty of games coming in the next couple of months that won't be available on your XBox.

Metroid Prime
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Res Evil 0
Wario World
Star Wars: Bounty Hunter
Die Hard Vendetta
NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona
Godzilla
Golden Sun
Mario Tennis
Rally Championship

There just some of the ones that interest me of course, you may not be interested in some of it, but I'm sure at least a few of those will interest you.

As for your comment on Nintendo and Rare being the only devs that were worth having a GameCube for.. nonesense IMO. Maybe so far Nintendo and SFA is all you would, at first glance, get a GameCube for (although you haven't tried allot of great games like ED ect AFAIK). But surely you can see there are allot of really good games not made by Nintendo or Rare on GameCube, that allot of people would buy a GameCube for, after all Rare only made one game anyway. I'm sure even you can find quite a few none Nintendo games you want on GameCube, either now or in the future, that will not be on your XBox.

Tommy said:
I've actually been somewhat disappointed by both SMS and SFA.

I guess the hype got to me too much.

I loved SMS, but I agree about Starfox, Rare put everything into graphics, and the rest of the game just feels empty, there is no heart in it whatsoever.
the combat system is pretty much pointless, you might as well just have it so you press a button and any enemy within sight of you drops dead. I enjoyed it for about 2 days, then went to Animal Crossing and did not look back.
I'll hold out for Celda

Vice versa for me. I much prefer SFA to SMS, though they're both good games. But I've always been a sucker for good story, which SFA has, and SMS doesn't.

I have to say that I'm really intrigued by Animal Crossing.

I'm just afraid that its nothing more than The Sims in Nintendo clothing.

zurich

Are you going to pick up ED Quincy? IMO it's still the best game on the platform(although more hands on time with Fox may change that).

So far, my favorite GCN game is probably Super Mario Sunshine. If you loved Mario 64, this is the game for you.

SFA = alright. The pacing is off, and the combat basically sucks.. but it's a worthwhile purchase nevertheless. The survival horror games (ED/RE1) are both must-buys, IMO.. and launch/post-launch fare such as Pikmin and Wave Race are great too.

Animal Crossing = very good. If you can look past the "N65" visuals.. it's one of the best games out this year.

Then you have the great multiplayer games. Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2, Smash Bros, Bomberman Generation.. kick-ass. By January, there will be plenty more. I'm waiting on Mario Party 4 and Metroid Prime myself..

As for consoles.. if you have the cash, you must own more than one console! :) I mean, I got by handily with just the GameCube.. but going multi-console (Xbox) gives me so much more freedom. Now I can anticipate games like Fable, Shenmue II, and Ninja Gaiden.. and buy them!

I've bought more games for GC so far then I did for the entire life of the 64, a grand total of 6. Not to mention I know I;m going to buy Time Splitters, Metroid, and Zelda.

I thought about buying an X-Box awhiile go because they had a deally good bundle deal but I realized I would only get three games for sure (then, now it would probably only be one or two) which were Halo Morrowind and Shenmue 2. But I just really don't like Halo that much anymore, especially after playing through HL again, the only way I like the Halo MultiPlayer is if it's 6 or more. Morrowinds an awesome game but I'm going to buy a new computer either next spring or summer any ways. I do love Shenmue though, maybe next fall I'll pick one up when they're $100 or $150

I only own one working console, but Im multiplatform, I get my action fixes on my PC, cant deal with FPS on consoles, because my main niche are Tactical shooters, while games like Quake and such work well enough on gamepads, games like Swat 3, Ghost recon and Rainbow six just dont cut it..

Back