Resident Evil 4 -New Pictures-

Art style is different, scale of the environment is different, main character detail comparable in cut-scenes, SH4 use lower detail models for in-game, RE4 seems to be using the same model (you can only see his back when moving so not sure about it).

His back is not always the only thing visible, & even then his leather jacket is well textured & skinned, as is his hair. RE4 is definitely *not* using the same model. Scale of the environment is minor in comparisons now? :rolleyes: Come now. As far as main character detail being roughly equivalent in cut-scenes, I will agree with you there. Which possesses the superior art direction is completely subjective, although IMO, RE4>SH4 easily. In game models possess much more detail, this is one aspect where RE4 shines particularly well. I was surprised to see the dropoff from what SH3 accomplished, although I'm aware they were deved by two differing internal teams.

Cut-scene animation comparable, but in-game animation RE4 is better. Although the colission detection still needs to be improved (you can see half of Leon's body pass through the side walls when he jumped out of the window in one of the video).

I agree with you here again regarding cut-scene animation for the most part, although I'm curious to know why you would bring up collision detection in a game with a minimal of 4 mos. or more left in development? :?: (assuming there's no delays) I feel RE4's cutscenes convey a much more cinematic feel, & seem more action oriented. And who's to say with accuracy how old the recent demo shown actually is? And small aspects like reloading animations are extremely well done.

Texture detail on the environment is not bad on SH4, but scattered, some are quite low res while some are not (but the low res ones stand out somehow). PS2 has dithering in dark shades, PC version does not.

I agree, but I believe you're minimizing how scattered the environmental detail actually is. On RE4's level? Surely it is not, covering much smaller environments as aforementioned at that.

SH4 do not have much characters on screen at once, RE4 has much more (the countless damn crazy villagers). SH4 on PS2 will slow down a little bit when there are more than 6 characters on screen (I experienced that with 5 patients and Henry and Eileen).

Agreed. 10-20 characters simultaneously on screen & attempting to attack at once, appearing to all cast comprehensive realistic shadows, is indeed quite a technical feat. How much slowdown will actually occur is unknown when the maximum is reached however, but from what I played at E3 I didn't experience any.

For movement control, both are a bit sluggish, SH4 is quite confusing sometimes (I want the SH3 3D control back), RE4 is a 3rd person view on FPS controls, RE4 seriously needs strafe or dodge or roll sideway. You cannot move while aiming and that makes it harder to fight when you are surrounded.

Agreed, though for what it's worth the camera orientation makes quite a bit of difference in RE4's controls. You've never been able to run while shooting in an RE game. While aiming for accuracy I can forgive, but not comprehensively. A staple which I heard was originally implemented to heighten both tenseness, suspense, & the fear factor for gamers. A staple that needs to be left behind, although it has succeeded to some extent. (I'm referring specifically to the Crimson Heads of REmake. That was definitely a fight or flight response there if I ever saw one.)

A few aspects you failed to mention, (of which there is no comparison) are RE4's particle effects. Fire, dust, smoke, fog, water, etc. As well as the use of lighting & environmental interaction.

Li Mu Bai said:
His back is not always the only thing visible, & even then his leather jacket is well textured & skinned, as is his hair. RE4 is definitely *not* using the same model. Scale of the environment is minor in comparisons now? :rolleyes: Come now. As far as main character detail being roughly equivalent in cut-scenes, I will agree with you there. Which possesses the superior art direction is completely subjective, although IMO, RE4>SH4 easily. In game models possess much more detail, this is one aspect where RE4 shines particularly well. I was surprised to see the dropoff from what SH3 accomplished, although I'm aware they were deved by two differing internal teams.

Ok then, I use a better word "back side". I have completed the demo a few times and if I can only see his "back" then my eyes must have serious problems and need to see a doctor ASAP.

Scale of the environment is different and they are simply different, some places in the buildings stage is not small in SH4, but the environment settings are like that you cannot really compare them side by side.

And for the demo (just for the demo), the environment is not really big. The biggest one I suppose is the town, I would say the attention to detail on interactable objects is where it shines.

And about the art, yes, I guess everyone know that is your preference. To me, they are both good, not one over the other nor vice versa.

SH4 is also beautiful in its own realm, especially in the PC version.

Li Mu Bai said:
I agree with you here again regarding cut-scene animation for the most part, although I'm curious to know why you would bring up collision detection in a game with a minimal of 4 mos. or more left in development? :?: (assuming there's no delays)

I am not sure about the minimal 4 months time, this Winter can mean a lot.

Li Mu Bai said:
I feel RE4's cutscenes convey a much more cinematic feel, & seem more action oriented. And who's to say with accuracy how old the recent demo shown actually is? And small aspects like reloading animations are extremely well done.

Because it is something obvious. Bringing something up does not mean I have an intention to make something look bad.

Li Mu Bai said:
I agree, but I believe you're minimizing how scattered the environmental detail actually is. On RE4's level? Surely it is not, covering much smaller environments as aforementioned at that.

The point on scale is just what I said above.

SH4 is not as flashy and contrasty as SH3, but it is good in its own.

Li Mu Bai said:
Agreed, though for what it's worth the camera orientation makes quite a bit of difference in RE4's controls. You've never been able to run while shooting in an RE game. While aiming for accuracy I can forgive, but not comprehensively. A staple which I heard was originally implemented to heighten both tenseness, suspense, & the fear factor for gamers. A staple that needs to be left behind, although it has succeeded to some extent. (I'm referring specifically to the Crimson Heads of REmake. That was definitely a fight or flight response there if I ever saw one.)

That's one of the thing I don't like about RE's unneccessary tradition. If they don't put the manual aiming the problem may be less, but you are on a FPS like aiming now.

Li Mu Bai said:
A few aspects you failed to mention, (of which there is no comparison) are RE4's particle effects. Fire, dust, smoke, fog, water, etc. As well as the use of lighting & environmental interaction.

I will certainly agree that RE4 is a very well done graphically. I don't need to mention them all as the people can enjoiy seeing the effects with their own eyes.

edit: Reading again and I am wondering why I had replied to LMB's reply in the very first place. I have nothing against RE4 being more advanced technically. May be because I simply don't think SH4 is anywhere related to the words "FOR SHAME". Heh ! :)

edit2: And in fact, I am still exploring the demo at the moment, just found a new item, the red leaves, in the area where you free a dog.

edit: Reading again and I am wondering why I had replied to LMB's reply in the very first place. I have nothing against RE4 being more advanced technically. May be because I simply don't think SH4 is anywhere related to the words "FOR SHAME". Heh !

Perhaps those words were too harsh for me to use in comparison maskrider. I am disappointed in the turn the SH series has taken however. SH3 was greatness, I felt that the Room made too many changes to a proven formula that were unnecessary. I do feel that RE4 greatly overshadows SH4, but the Room did have its moments as well. Eagle-Vision by "comprehensive shadowing" I more specifically meant consistent shadow implementation.

Lazy8s #2:

What's so consistent about the shadows in RE4? Particular in comparison with the SH games which use volumes for both characters and environments.

Managed to unlock the Machine gun by using AR codes, heh ! Getting 30K ptas will be a very hard task to me without codes since it is very hard to take down the chainsaw guy (but they worth 10K ptas per head).

And some new shots with the machine gun and 550 bullets.

bh4-mg-opt.jpg

bh4-wp-1.jpg

bh4-wp-2.jpg

bh4-wp-3.jpg

bh4-wp-4.jpg

bh4-35.jpg

bh4-36.jpg

bh4-37.jpg

bh4-38.jpg

bh4-39.jpg

I found it quite annoying that you couldn't kill the villagers, even if you shot two clips on them, and threw three grenades on them...

Evil_Cloud said:
I found it quite annoying that you couldn't kill the villagers, even if you shot two clips on them, and threw three grenades on them...

Hard mode is even worse, they move much faster and can take almost 2 times the bullets.

hey maskrider i saw you posted some videos over at GAF, are there any other links to them besides the torrents? :?

thop said:
hey maskrider i saw you posted some videos over at GAF, are there any other links to them besides the torrents? :?

I borrowed space from Blimblim and they are exclusive to his site, but the direct download part is down at the moment. There is no other links at the moment.

There should be one or two China sites that has mirrored the movies but I am not sure which ones they are.

I only have these 2 Machine guns video online (at my server) at the moment

http://felixmcli.org/video/bh4-mg.wmv (5.9 MBytes)
http://felixmcli.org/video/bh4-mg-cs.wmv (6.48 MBytes)

edit: looks like the direct links at gamesmediamirror.com are not very stable, but still up, you have to use a download manager to get them. He said he will fix it later on.

I'll repost the link again
http://www.gamesmediamirror.com/news_1055_en.html

Back