Got my kinyo 5.1 head phones

jvd

Banned
Been messing around with them. The bass is pretty loud. At first i was disapointed but i went into windows sound panel and moved the bass a notch up and now they start moving off my ears !!!

THe sound seems good too. Doom3 sounds much better on tehse than on my 7.1 creative speakers.

I was wondering if there is a program that will test all the speakers that are in the head phones .

jvd said:
Been messing around with them. The bass is pretty loud. At first i was disapointed but i went into windows sound panel and moved the bass a notch up and now they start moving off my ears !!!

THe sound seems good too. Doom3 sounds much better on tehse than on my 7.1 creative speakers.

I was wondering if there is a program that will test all the speakers that are in the head phones .

How much?

How do they connect? I just got a set of Mentor 5.1's from Newegg.com to check out and it's a USB connection with the soundcard built inline the cable to the headphones. :?

BTW-I picked up a set of Sennheiser MX400 earbuds last week that I am just ga-ga over! I used to hate earbuds, but these bloody things rock and were only $14us shipped from Newegg.com. :)

I also recently picked up a pair of kinyo 5.1 headphones. Been meaning to write up a review for rage3d, just haven't had time recently...

They really do give you positional audio. However, there is no way it is better than a properly configured 5.1 setup. I went from an old 4.1 system (FPS2000) to the Kinyo headphones since I share my place with someone now. It was kind of a hail-mary hope since while I have a wonderful pair of Sennheiser HD590 headphones I love for music, I really missed good sound positioning in games with them... For game sound the Kinyos are fairly good, and they really do position the audio. The pure front isn't as good as external speakers, but overall it was a satisfactory compromise for the price.

The headphones are only moderately comfortable... they're fairly heavy, and after an hour or so of playing my ears will get somewhat sweaty since they are fully enclosed. I'd pay very good money for a set of headphones as light, comfortable and quality as my Sennheiser HD590s, but with the positional capabilities of a multi-speaker headphone like the Kinyos.

Since they aren't too horribly pricy, I may also pick up the Zalman 5.1 headphones just for comparison in the future.

For Games the Kinyos are great if you can't have real 4.1 or 5.1 sound set up properly for whatever reason. For music, don't bother with them. I've not tried movie listening with them, but i expect they'd position sounds reasonably well like in games, with the dialogue directly in front not really feeling as in front as it should, but overall sounding adequate.

Well they cost me 35$ at mwave .

Second of all. I have a 7.1 system in my room. I can tell you the headphones sound much better. Most likely because they are right on my head and block out alot of noise thats coming from outside.

As for sweating and htem getting heavy. I wasn't to sweaty and i played painkiller for 3 hours last night with them on . They weren't heavy at all . Then again i'm 6'4

As for how they hook up you have a few diffrent ways . you have an amp box that has outputs nad in puts . There are 3 wires on the back , front , rear , sub , they connect via 3 wires to the back of my audigy . You can also hook them up to any 5.1 decoder like my dvd player using the wires that come with them. It came with 3 sets of wires .

There's no way any set of headphones can reproduce the effect of a dedicated subwoofer in the room. Sub-bass is a whole body effect and depends more on the room response. If a 7.1 setup sounds worse than headphones, than either a) the amp/speakers suck or b) the setup isn't calibrated/setup properly.

A "subwoofer" in a headphone is essentially a tweeter tickling your eardrum. Even though it may be possible for some 'phones to produce sub-bass, especially the open enclosure kind (albeit distorted) Sub-bass is not so much heard, as felt. When listening to bass on my SVS sub, I feel my skin vibrate, my sofa vibrate, and indeed, the air around the room seems to swirl.

There's simply no way a headphone "subwoofer" is going to deliver that experience. Get a good sub capable of extension down to 16-25Hz. Go pick up Avia and do a low frequency sweep. Now do it on your headphones and tell me the experience is even close.

The purpose of a subwoofer is to rock your whole body, so when the pump action shotgun goes off, or the Attack of the Clones Sonic Mines, you feel like something hit you.

DemoCoder said:
A "subwoofer" in a headphone is essentially a tweeter tickling your eardrum. Even though it may be possible for some 'phones to produce sub-bass, especially the open enclosure kind (albeit distorted) Sub-bass is not so much heard, as felt. When listening to bass on my SVS sub, I feel my skin vibrate, my sofa vibrate, and indeed, the air around the room seems to swirl.

There's simply no way a headphone "subwoofer" is going to deliver that experience. Get a good sub capable of extension down to 16-25Hz. Go pick up Avia and do a low frequency sweep. Now do it on your headphones and tell me the experience is even close.

The purpose of a subwoofer is to rock your whole body, so when the pump action shotgun goes off, or the Attack of the Clones Sonic Mines, you feel like something hit you.
True dat, but if I crank my Altec-Lansing ADA885s bass up that high my neighbors call the cops on me. :oops:

DemoCoder said:
Yeah, there are definately limits if you have neighbors directly on the other side of the wall.
No, there's 10-15 feet between my house and theirs....it's just that the damn thing REALLY thumps when it thumps! :oops:

Yes the bass is better on my 7.1 set up. But the directional sound is much better on the head phones .

Btw whle my whole body doesn't shake my head does and its really good. Esp for a painkiller season till 4 or 5 am when my parents under my room are asleep and i can't use a sound system.

I think if you get better positional audio on your headphones over your 7.1 setup, then your 7.1 system must not be positioned right around your room. The Kinyo's definately do position audio, and better than standard headphones, but even my 4.1 setup did a decidedly better job of positioning the sounds...

The fact that you can have the sound louder with your headphones may have you feeling that way as if you had to keep your 7.1 setup quiet, then you'd have lost some of that.

I'd never recommend the Kinyo headphones over a properly set up 5.1+ speaker setup as long as you can use the speakers at good volume... if you need to not bother others though, the Kinyo's are a reasonable compromise to still get pretty good 3D positional audio.

Well my 7.1 system is set up as best as possible for both my pc and my tv and during the day i can run it full tilt. I'm just tleling ya what i experianced

jvd said:
Well my 7.1 system is set up as best as possible for both my pc and my tv and during the day i can run it full tilt. I'm just tleling ya what i experianced

That is just really weird. A decently set up 7.1 system should easily surpass headphones wrt positional information. Does your 7.1 system come with test tones and delays?

Ty said:
jvd said:

That is just really weird. A decently set up 7.1 system should easily surpass headphones wrt positional information. Does your 7.1 system come with test tones and delays?

/jvd tries the sound test...
/jvd realises he plugged the speakers wrongly, the left-front is plugged into the central-rear, the central-front in the right-rear and so on... and the subwoofer power supply isn't plugged in at all......

ACTIVE sub-woofers, jvd, ACTIVE!! As in with their own power supply!!!

;)

Ty it could just be cause of my auditory processing deficet that i've had since i was born :) I don't hear all that great.

L-b , the head phones connect into an amp. Its a very nice set up

AA23500.jpg

Kinyo KY-100 5.1 Surround Headphone For PC/DVD/VCR/TV/Xbox/Gamecube/N64/MP3 & Portable CD Players!

Features:

Front Speaker: 30mmx2 32 ohms 20Hz ~ 20KHz
Surround Speaker: 30mmx2 32 ohms 20Hz ~ 20KHz
Center and Sub Speaker: 40mmx2 64 ohms 20Hz ~ 20KHz

Technical Information:

S/N Ratio: >= 80dB
Separation: >= 60dB
Distortion: =< 0.5%

Back