Sony could launch PStwo in late October

Smaller version of PS2 with built-in network adapter at $149 price point?

A redesigned version of Sony's PlayStation 2 console, dubbed PStwo, could launch in the USA next month alongside GTA: San Andreas, according to a report in the US entertainment press citing industry analysts and retailers.

The new version of the console would be around 30 per cent smaller than the current hardware, according to the Hollywood Reporter, which claims that industry insiders expect the device to roll out on October 26th at a $149 price point.

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=4452

as much as id love to see an improved PS2 come out, youd think we would have gotten at least a little more warning than this if it were true...October is only a few weeks away

I don't imagine they'd be rolling out the PSTwo this soon, especially since they only recently had a redesign. Next October I can see, since it would be closer to the PS3's launch, and could "spice things up" next holiday season to keep eyes on PlayStation (both instead of others' consoles and in lead up to PS3's launch).

I also figure it'll coincide with another price drop.

Now ive seen the story make some of the more mainstream media outlets(msnbc, usatoday). They say that Sony's video games division is having a meeting/presentation on Tuesday talking about the future of the company, and that this meeting would be an likely time to launch/announce the PStwo.

Sony "declined to comment"

So maybe it will happen...and considering i have one of the 30001 models of the ps2 (complete with the sound lag issues) id consider gifting myself with a PStwo for Christmas

jvd said:
From what i understand they have the wrong october . ALso the wrong price

With all due respect, you've been talking about Sony (Cell, PStwo) alot lately.... perhaps restaint my friend?

Vince said:
jvd said:

With all due respect, you've been talking about Sony (Cell, PStwo) alot lately.... perhaps restaint my friend?

With all due respect its because i'm getting more and more info sent to me .

From what I was told they are going to launch the pstwo in the summer at 100$

Using the hype and low price to hopefully cut into the xenons x mass

It's been pointed out elsewhere that in the manuals of at least 2 recent PS2 releases (Sly 2 and Burnout 3), there's a line that reads as follows:

"Note: Illustration may not match all Playstation 2 console types. For owners of SCPH-70000 series Playstation 2 systems, refer to the setup instructions supplied for your system"

I wasn't buying the idea of a PSTwo coming along this year either until I saw that. But why would they start printing that in manuals now if they aren't come out with this new model until next year?

I'm not doubting a PSTwo at all.

I'm just a little skeptical of the "supposed" release date.

Though I am certain sony will at least bring up the issue at the upcomming tuesday meeting,

Wonder if they'll show or comment on anything next-gen. 'Cell workstation'? I won't get my hopes up, but I'll have the web browser pointed at the usual japanese news sites on Tueday.

jvd said:
Vince said:
jvd said:

With all due respect its because i'm getting more and more info sent to me .

From what I was told they are going to launch the pstwo in the summer at 100$
Using the hype and low price to hopefully cut into the xenons x mass

Ohh, well in that case... I guess you just know more than the rest of us. Excuse me for commenting. I take all 9 inches, and just under 2lbs back.

Back