The Cell Effect - PS3 Hardware Ready?

i'm not asking that question, it's just the title of the following article.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/features.asp?article_id=7830&section=feature&email=

looks interesting 8)

The nucleus of electronics
"[CELL] will be used in IBM's computer, Sony's game machine, and Toshiba's digital consumer electronics, among other things," said Okamura.

And while Sony has yet to make an official announcement regarding the PS3's (unofficial title) launch timeframe, the fact that the chip expected to power the next-generation console is all but finished is a good sign indeed. Sony has indicated that the first CELL-based workstations will become available at the end of this year, and the full-scale production of CELL processors for use in consumer electronics is expected to start in early 2005.

But will this announcement have any implications for Sony's launch plans or its competitors? And will the CELL technology "change the world," as Okamura claims?

If it is going to mass prodution in early/mid 2005 it should be almost done.
Right?
Or do you think that GPU and others components aren´t yet done?

pc999 said:
If it is going to mass prodution in early/mid 2005 it should be almost done.
Right?
Or do you think that GPU and others components aren´t yet done?

I think they can stretch it a bit. I wouldn't want to have 2004-class hardware coming out in 2006 if i were Sony...

hopefully Sony can stuff the PS3 CPU will more FPUs per APU and or more APUs, PUs, PEs for 2006. <----that's me wanting Sony to have a souped up CPU that goes a bit beyond the cell-based chips for the workstations coming out at the end of this year or beginning of next year.

Megadrive1988 said:
hopefully Sony can stuff the PS3 CPU will more FPUs per APU and or more APUs, PUs, PEs for 2006. <----that's me wanting Sony to have a souped up CPU that goes a bit beyond the cell-based chips for the workstations coming out at the end of this year or beginning of next year.

I don't think thats going to happen .

The cell chips will be mass produced the end of fiscal 2005 which is early 2006.

There wont be a ps3 in 2005 simply because they wont be able to make one .

The only way we are going to see an improved cell chip is if they can't launch till 2007 which may happen depending on how things go with yields and the actual performance of the chips .

jvd said:
The only way we are going to see an improved cell chip

Improved compared to what? We don't have a clue about what will be the actual PS3's Cell embodiment.
It can't be better or worse if it doesn't exist. :D

jvd said:
Megadrive1988 said:

The cell chips will be mass produced the end of fiscal 2005 which is early 2006.

The only way we are going to see an improved cell chip is if they can't launch till 2007 which may happen depending on how things go with yields and the actual performance of the chips .

HUH? Where did you get this from?

While specific details on the CELL remain elusive, the chip's commercial production is scheduled to begin next year, which is coincidently when Toshiba will be celebrating its 130th anniversary. However, as part of its presentation at E3 2004, Sony said graphics workstations using the CELL could be available as soon as this winter. :?

It was said to only be a four year project. If you are talking about the 45nm chip,then I guess that would be a little more accurate.

The graphics workstations they are talking about are very lowend cell systems and nothing that will be used in the ps3 , they will be used for development purposes .

Btw this winter extends all the way into 2005 .

You have to read with marketing speak in mind . I believe this winter ends in march of 2005 .

Another thing to keep in mind is when i say cell chip i'm talking about the cell chips to be used in the ps3 , not all cell chips are created equaly and there are some far less complicated to make than the ps3 chips .

But hey don't take my word for it , just wait a few months and u will see

you're not understanding what I meant.

the PS3 CPU will be some specific processor based on Cell architecture.

as you already know, there can be more complex versions of Cell, or less complex versions. the PS3 processor will probably be one of the most complex implementations of Cell arch. that can be made at that time.

it's not an improved Cell that I am talking about, it's simply a highend implementation with more processors on-chip than what might be in a television, or laptop.

the PS3 CPU will not be the first Cell-based processor. so it probably won't go into production until late 2005.

Megadrive1988 said:
it's not an improved Cell that I am talking about, it's simply a highend implementation with more processors on-chip than what might be in a television, or laptop.

the PS3 CPU will not be the first Cell-based processor. so it probably won't go into production until late 2005.

I agree, i also want to see the PS3 with a Cell CPU close to the prefered embodiment, the infamous Broadband Engine.
Though, the rational part on my brain says (screams?) 256 or best case 512Gflops... :?

I have a alot of questions about the PS3

1)What kind of graphics can we expect from the PS3?
2)Is it going to be more powerful then the XBox 2(Xenon)
3)When is it coming out? (2006 or 2007).

It may be stupid questions but I am just now trying to be a regluar member of this forum...

kenneth9265_3 said:

It may be stupid questions but I am just now trying to be a regluar member of this forum...

The simple answer to this is noone knows yet.

There is little public info about Xenon and almost nothing known about PS3 at this point, anyone who gives you a more direct answer is speculating.

It is all speculation at this point in time. This forum seems to be very good at it too, and if you believe the speculation around here then PS3 will be the most powerful.

For myself, I am certain that CPU wise PS3 will be more powerful than Xbox 2 or Revolution. But I'm not so sure Sony can come up with a graphics chip that will be competitive with R5XX or whatever is going into Xbox 2. ATI's graphics hardware is mightily impressive, if you think today's PC games look good, just imagine 10 times the graphics that actually takes advantage of the hardware.

kenneth9265_3 said:

It's all about programming CELL. If STI have a language/compiler that programmers can extract parallelism from game code, then CELL should be very exciting. Software is the challenge for STI.

Thanks guys for being honest....I saw the screenshots of the Unreal3Engine and Elder Scrolls IV and it got me craving for more info on next generation gaming... :?

I have been playing some recent games with my children like Burnout 3 and Need for Speed Underground and I am very impress with the graphics on hardware that 3 to 4 years old.... :oops:

I know PC games are heads and shoulders ahead of console games as graphics, but I do find myself wondering, how can graphics get any more better than this?? :D

I do find myself wondering, how can graphics get any more better than this??

When they start looking like this;

Taichung%20City-A.jpg

Sonic said:
ATI's graphics hardware is mightily impressive, if you think today's PC games look good, just imagine 10 times the graphics that actually takes advantage of the hardware.

IHMO, RAM will play a crucial role next-gen (more than previous generation) and the player with the more RAM will have a serious advantage.
Because a game like Far Cry ask for a 1Go of RAM and 256Mo of video RAM, almost the same with Doom 3.

With the various rumors claiming 256Mo of RAM aboard Xenon and PS3 (Hell, 128Mo has also been rumored, even if it was due to the misunderstanding of the news about 256/128bits XDR chips), the things doesn't shape up well, since todays CG have 256Mo, let alone main system RAM.

Hence, 10 time more power, but really less ram than actual PCs... That's where the problem reside. Tricks will be found, used, but will developers/artists have enough time to create models with Bézier patches? And will that save that much space?

Fortunately, when you see what good developers, can squeeze from a PS2 (32Mo, no TC) or a GC (24Mo + 16Mo, TC), i'm sure very good things will be produce next gen.

kenneth9265_3 said:
I know PC games are heads and shoulders ahead of console games as graphics, but I do find myself wondering, how can graphics get any more better than this??

http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138

There's plenty rooms left for improvement. :D

Back