rumor: Halo 3 to combat PS3 @ PS3's launch ????

this is a juicey rumor if I ever did see one 8)

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=14622&page=1&pp=50

G.I. : Xbox 2 launch titles , Halo 3 released upon PS3 launch (rumor/"hinted")

G.I. says Microsoft hinted that Halo 3 would be released at the time PS3 launches. That could help keep attention on Xbox 2...and they will need something, as Sony loves the hype machine.

it's also here: http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=293366

Halo 3 is probably the strongest mainstream / casual game weapon Microsoft could have to combat the Playstation3 when it launches in 2006.

The impact against the PS3 that Halo 3 would make is online gaming. Nothing is going to slow down hardware sales for the Sony launch, but getting gamers to choose sides for a online gaming service is what Microsoft wants.

I DOUBT this....it has taken Bungie to develop Halo 2 over 3 years since 2001......

I DOUBT that Halo 3 will be rdy for launch....maybe PDO-2

Plus if thats the case...then all Sony has to do is launch GT5 or any mega huge franchise(can you say GTA5?)...as Mush as Halo is good, GT series also sells good, if not better..and any GTA game will distroy Halo in any combination...

-Josh378

I think it's possible. With halo 2 they had to spend a lot of time optomizing what they were doing to get done what needed to get done and such, but with xbox2, the're should be more then enough power to not have to freak out about optomization and they can just make it.

Well..
It´s safe to say that there will be no Halo3 anytime soon. If there is a Halo3, expect the "critical" holiday 2007.

One "dream-scenario" (not that I dream about it..;) ) for MS is Halo3 AND GTA:Tokyo for the holidays of that year...

Wait a minute... wtf is GTA:Tokyo??
Hehehe.. this is me speculating. I think that MS would want to secure "as much AAA-games" exclusivly as possible for Xenon. MS can "counter" anything Sony has to offer, at least some of the great titles...

Sony got Gran Turismo = MS has Project Gotham, Rallisport and hopefully they can establish Forza as a franchaise

Sony got GTA = I believe that MS will not let Sony make some deals with Rockstar. I expect MS either buying Rockstar or giving away moneyhats for securing GTA for Xenon (and PC)... and probably make something happen there between Xenon and PC-version thanks to XNA. By buying Rockstar and letting them develop a GTA based in Japan (Tokyo) could attract more gamers in just Japan and could be the biggest selling western game in Japan, hopefully making some great impact over there, helping Xenon out.

Sony has great Japan-support and some RPGs from SquareEnix = Square is bound to look at Xenon sooner or later. Xenon will increase in marketshare and SquareEnix cannot overlook it. I expect some SquareEnix games being released for both PS3 and Xenon, to cover as much costs as possible.

Both Sony and MS has great thirdparty support. Sure, Sony has the edge, but the majority of the biggest 3rd party titles comes out on both machines. Xbox has the edge with PC-games though and Xenon will probably continue this legacy.

MS, I believe, has some chances of fixing the Japan-situation. It boils down to "bombarding the japanese" (no offense) with established franchaises. MS has failed miserably with Xbox in Japan because the lack of huge franchaises are missing or coming out later... and the whole design also has some contributions... and the fact that it is an american corp... and so on. But this is fixable, MS will have to invest money in developing games based on huge franchaise. I think its better for MS to do it themselves because if the game succeeds, it will give lots of cred to the inhouse-team in Japan. So the next game coming from them, maybe isn´t based on a huge IP, but gamers will be interested because it comes from the inhouse team that brought them [very-popular-game-based-on-a-huge-franchaise].

well...
just some thoughts...

I think that they say that their next game will not be a Halo game.
But I am sure that we will have a Perfect Dark 0 :D

Bungie said a while ago that Halo 2 would finish the story... If you go by what they did with Marathon, Halo 3 would then be developed by another company anyhow.

Anyhow, unlike Halo:CE, Bungie is making Halo 2 the way they want without the same time restrictions. What more could they want to add that didn't make it due to a self-set release date?

edit: I don't trust what MS PR say. I trust what Bungie say. ;)

quote me on this for future reference, "I doubt there will be a Halo 3 by Bungie Studios." (now I just wait for someone to make an ass of me in a couple years :LOL: )

Tuttle said:
I doubt very many console gamers would even notice, let alone care, about Halo 3's release date.

Sure, statistically, several million people would be nothing really. :rolleyes: ;)

Would a theoretical Halo 3 REALLY be MS's 'strongest weapon' against PS3, a third installment in a sequel-a-thon? Let me express some doubt about that, anyone remember a series called "Tomb Raider", or as some like to call it, "More of The Same"? ;)

After spending like 10 years making Halo games, don't you guys feel Bungie is ready to MOVE ON NOW? But then the fanboy waves are strong in this thread, I better don my Doom Environment Suit to protect myself! ;)

It's funny to see the MS F-boys speculate wildly about the future and things they know nothing about, such as MS 'not letting Sony make deals with Rockstar', like Rockstar's just going to walk away from a long and PROSPEROUS cooperation with Sony... :rolleyes: Nobody (well, hardly any :LOL:) have anything good to say about MS, and when they produce a games console they come flocking like flies to you-know-what. :LOL:

And as for the quote in the original post:
and they will need something, as Sony loves the hype machine.

...Yeah, we know it was ONLY HYPE and nothing else that made Sony sell seventy million plus PS2s... Jesus, someone sure forgot to plop in that brain in his head when he went out of bed in the morning... ;)

Megadrive1988 said:
this is a juicey rumor if I ever did see one 8)

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=14622&page=1&pp=50

G.I. : Xbox 2 launch titles , Halo 3 released upon PS3 launch (rumor/"hinted")

G.I. says Microsoft hinted that Halo 3 would be released at the time PS3 launches. That could help keep attention on Xbox 2...and they will need something, as Sony loves the hype machine.

it's also here: http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=293366

Halo 3 is probably the strongest mainstream / casual game weapon Microsoft could have to combat the Playstation3 when it launches in 2006.

This has got to be a joke. We are talikng about a single game up against a console (or consoles). If this is their only strategy to fighting off the competition,I seriously don't see it working,especially if these consoles come out equally matched or even the opposite of this generation.

Instead of Halo 3, how about Unreal 3 on Xbox 2 as an exclusive launch title ? (Or Unreal Next on Xbox Next, whatever if you think an explicit sequel is not suitable for a new console)

Because of the partnertship between MS and Epic in XNA, it's not so unlikely to see some Unreal on the next MS console, though they say Unreal Engine 3.0 is not for Unreal 3... But if it happens as an exclusive deal, PC gamer in me will cry a lot :cry: :LOL:

As many have pointed out, a Halo3 is just too soon just after the Halo2 release. More time is needed. However, I think a 'Halo2 Xtreme(for XboxNext!!!)' or somesuch is possible - maybe carry a demo of Halo3 with it. That may be enough to make a decent launch title - for the fans, not the critics.

one said:
Instead of Halo 3, how about Unreal 3 on Xbox 2 as an exclusive launch title ? (Or Unreal Next on Xbox Next, whatever if you think an explicit sequel is not suitable for a new console)

Because of the partnertship between MS and Epic in XNA, it's not so unlikely to see some Unreal on the next MS console, though they say Unreal Engine 3.0 is not for Unreal 3... But if it happens as an exclusive deal, PC gamer in me will cry a lot :cry: :LOL:

Wonder if UE3.0 will work even better on Ati hardware :LOL: ;)

Well, Epic did say that they weren't working on an Unreal title for their next game.... from that it's probably safe to assume that Unreal 3 won't be happening for a while (and probably not an exclusive to console given Epic's history ;) )

Well I don't expect the PS3 come out thoo the 3rd/4th quarter of 2006, so I think Halo 3 coming out the same day of the launch of the PS3 is resonable. :)

kenneth9265_3 said:
Well I don't expect the PS3 come out thoo the 3rd/4th quarter of 2006, so I think Halo 3 coming out the same day of the launch of the PS3 is resonable. :)

For the project to be this far ahead in its cycle, the 3rd and 4th quarter is out of the question. The latest looks to be the 2nd quarter.

And let's get real here, not everyone plays FPS. Halo,alone,is not enough to keep others from turning to a different console. If you were to look at the current consoles, you can see that it took more than Halo to sell the Xbox.

The real question is which PS3 launch Japan or US?
Traditionally Sony has led in Japan by at least 6 months at significantly higher price point than at US launch.
MS on the otherhand will launch in the US first, if your looking at first launches I don't think they will be that far apart, if your looking at US launches, I think your looking at a significant disparity.

Spidermate said:
kenneth9265_3 said:

For the project to be this far ahead in its cycle, the 3rd and 4th quarter is out of the question. The latest looks to be the 2nd quarter.

And let's get real here, not everyone plays FPS. Halo,alone,is not enough to keep others from turning to a different console. If you were to look at the current consoles, you can see that it took more than Halo to sell the Xbox.

The Q3/4 quarter of 2006 is two years from now 8) ...they could of been working on Halo 3 the since the begining of this year....

ERP said:
The real question is which PS3 launch Japan or US?
Traditionally Sony has led in Japan by at least 6 months at significantly higher price point than at US launch.
MS on the otherhand will launch in the US first, if your looking at first launches I don't think they will be that far apart, if your looking at US launches, I think your looking at a significant disparity.

Let's put it this: If the Xbox launched by itself in a single territory,then it could probably win over a few gamers with this game.This game working alone to the other consoles,however, is not going to cut it because it can't even do this now. What you have to understand is not everyone is interested in this game or just its particular genre.

kenneth9265_3 said:
they could of been

"Could of"? :LOL: This one always cracks me up when I see it, Vince can't keep his there/theirs straight, but "have" and "of" aren't anything alike...

No they couldn't! How could they? When H2 isn't done yet, how could they "of" been working on H3 since the beginning of this year?

Halo3 can hardly compete against PS3 anyway. People will buy PS3 even it launches without games :D

IMO Halo is overrated, how much did it sell worldwide? I heard less than 5 Mio., not to forget that's mostly because of the bundles. Goldeneye sold over 5 Mio. in the US alone.

Back