Cell chip nears completition

Fafalada said:
PSP's processor name is pretty funny though :p
What is it called? Is it that VME? (I don't find it funny :? , but I suspect you'd have to be a programmer to see the joke in it :) )

I meant the CPU actually. VME is basically part of the Media Engine... And no I don't think VME is funny name, sounds pretty normal.

Fafalada said:
I meant the CPU actually. VME is basically part of the Media Engine... And no I don't think VME is funny name, sounds pretty normal.

Ah... does it have a name?
This official press release calls the CPU... PSP CPU :?

Yeah it has a name, kind of right up there with the list of silly ones PCEngine posted.
Then again back in Amiga days we had stuff like Agnus, Paula and Denise :p

I think the designers take some kind of special enjoyment in making up names for their 'babies'... Never could understand that obsession personally really, not even when it comes to naming your graphic engines or what nots...

Sony's early demand for chips will be in the ''Tens of millions'' for Playstation 3, said Len Jelinek, analyst with iSuppli Corp., a market research firm in El Segundo, Calif. ''The kids are going to want them ... when it hits the market.''

What PS3 will be a kiddie system...OH! No! :LOL:

Is it "PC-Engine" :D

Portable Core Engine or something

Edit: Where did the PC Engine (the NEC console) get it's name? what do the PC stand for in it?

rabidrabbit said:

Edit: Where did the PC Engine (the NEC console) get it's name? what do the PC stand for in it?

I think at that time Computers were quite a rage and they decided to cash on it but it designing it as "PC" and hence the name PC-Engine. Am I right?

Deepak said:
rabidrabbit said:

I think at that time Computers were quite a rage and they decided to cash on it but it designing it as "PC" and hence the name PC-Engine. Am I right?

Well back then NEC had like 70% of the computer market in Japan and the most famous was the IIRC PC9800 series computers so I think that's where the name originated...just a hunch though.

ibm has a few servers using the cell chip coming out in 2006 qtr 1 so they wil lbe first to hit . Then the ps3 mid 2006 in japan .

Oh and I said the cell chip was finishing up in the next few months like 2 weeks ago but someone told me I was crazy . Heh.

Guess it all depends on what "finished" means. If it means "we finished ONE chip, it doesn't really work, but we have one in our hands and this is what the chip will be like" then YES, they might have finished it.
But i don't think it's really finished, working flawlessly and ready to be mass produced.

jvd said:
Oh and I said the cell chip was finishing up in the next few months like 2 weeks ago but someone told me I was crazy . Heh.

Nop, nobody said you were nuts to say Cell architecture was coming to completion.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15981

Faf just disagreed with you saying that actual PS3 chips were close to completion, since nobody (read developers) heard any substantial infos about PS3' CPU or GPU.
We can't say Cell chip for workstations = PS3 Cell chip.
Same architecture, ok, same IC, we don't know, but it's almost certain that they will be different to a certain extend (Number of PEs, APUs, clock, etc).

kenneth9265_3 said:
What kind of graphic do the PS3 suppose to have?

I think you should first read some of the threads on here before posting. There are 2339219 theads on PS3 alone, all saying that no one has any idea of what kind of graphics PS3 will be able to produce. We're not even sure what kind of rendering system will be used. And this is the 3rd time i've seen that question of yours, in different threads...
Read the forums, there is more info here than anywhere else on the Net. Enjoy. You won't understand much of it, since it's all about patants and APUs GPUs VMEs PUs BEs GSs and all that, but at least u'll notice a trend: we don't know what the final hardware will be, let alone what will come out of it. :)

london-boy said:
kenneth9265_3 said:
What kind of graphic do the PS3 suppose to have?

I think you should first read some of the threads on here before posting. There are 2339219 theads on PS3 alone, all saying that no one has any idea of what kind of graphics PS3 will be able to produce. We're not even sure what kind of rendering system will be used. And this is the 3rd time i've seen that question of yours, in different threads...
Read the forums, there is more info here than anywhere else on the Net. Enjoy. You won't understand much of it, since it's all about patants and APUs GPUs VMEs PUs BEs GSs and all that, but at least u'll notice a trend: we don't know what the final hardware will be, let alone what will come out of it. :)

Sorry, I lost track of the earlier thread for that question...

Back