FireFox 1.0PR released

If I am beginning to really dislike anything about FireFox it would have to be the Netscape Quality Assurance module. Everytime it pops up the browser crashes. Without exception the requester pops up and then the browser crashes. Happens regularly every 3-5 days. The 1.0 installer lists an option for either installing it or not, but it might as well not be there since the tickbox is grayed out and will not let me decline. Maybe the option not to install it will come in the final 1.x version? I hope so, because then I'll know whether the agent pops up because of a crash, or whether it is causing the crashes...;) Hard to say at this point.

Also, I hate Flash ocx with a passion. That little bugger crashes both IE XP SP2 & I suspect it is what is crashing Firefox for me (although I have installed the supposedly "Firefox friendly" version.)

PatrickL said:
Why are you installing Preview Releases and not wait a fw days for the final release ?

I guess a better question might be to ask why the Preview Releases are made available for public consumption if the Mozilla Foundation didn't wish the public to install them...? ;)

But to answer your question, I've installed the PR releases since 9.0 simply because the final release isn't yet available.

OK, I finally discovered how to disable the Netscape Feedback agent in the 1.0PR version of FireFox. While reading the B3d forums this morning, up pops the agent requester which was followed by the browser pop up telling me it had crashed and needed to close. This time, I decided to go ahead and allow the agent to report and when moving through the "next" tabs I discovered a tickbox which allowed me to disable the feedback agent, which I did. Should the browser continue to crash I'll reenable the agent and let it report.

I did find that it hadn't been flash.ocx causing the crashes (at least in FireFox--but it does in IE SP2) as I suffered this crash with flash uninstalled.

LOL!

Did you try the latest nightlies (branch)? They are very stable.

edit: Firefox 1.0 PR is out!

WaltC said:
If I am beginning to really dislike anything about FireFox it would have to be the Netscape Quality Assurance module. Everytime it pops up the browser crashes. Without exception the requester pops up and then the browser crashes. Happens regularly every 3-5 days. The 1.0 installer lists an option for either installing it or not, but it might as well not be there since the tickbox is grayed out and will not let me decline.
thats weird, it always lets me decline to install it.
Do you do a custom install?

I haven't had any problems with the 1.0PR. There are still some pages that Firefox can't view/trouble with downloading some movies. The only other real problem with it is that sites aren't optimized for it like IE. I started using Thunderbird today. No complaints so far, although I haven't really messed around with it yet.

Does anyone know if developers are holding off on making their extensions and themes compatible with 1.0PR/RC 1/2 because their just waiting for 1.0 Final? Also does anyone know of a new timeline for Firefox since the one on their site is wrong?

I have had very few problems with Firefox 1.0PR. I just keep IE available now for the odd non complient site. I am utterly blown away by this browser, if folks only new.....

I've been using Firefox for like 6 months now. I almost never load up IE.

The plugin interface is just amazing. I've got a bookmark syncronizer for my laptop and home system, adblocker to block all the banners on sites, google pagerank which is useful for work, form spell checker, image resizer, bandwidth tester, wayback machine context menu addition, and a FTP client plugin.

Most of these have showed up in the past couple of months. The community is just EXPLODING!. The browser rarely has issues rendering a site. Very, very nice.

swaaye, me too. :) I love firefox. Still need to load IE for banking.

I do have a consistent problem loading slashdot stories for some reason.

epic

epicstruggle said:
swaaye, me too. :) I love firefox. Still need to load IE for banking.
Get a different bank! Mine works perfectly with firefox.
I do have a consistent problem loading slashdot stories for some reason.
epic
Where the layout goes screwy? Me too. I sometime find a refresh fixes most of the problems, but it is odd.

Back