Something different, I'm posting this with FireFox

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I just ran AdAware & Spybot on me and my wife's rig and decided I should give FireFox a go exclusively for a couple of days to see if it cuts down on the BS spyware.

It's a big move for me, I'm very proud. 8)

digitalwanderer said:
I just ran AdAware & Spybot on me and my wife's rig and decided I should give FireFox a go exclusively for a couple of days to see if it cuts down on the BS spyware.

It's a big move for me, I'm very proud. 8)

Welcome to the new world :)

I really like the "highlight text, right click and search google feature"

digitalwanderer said:
carpediem said:
spywareblaster is a good activex blacklister that can be used to block bad activex components.
Thanks, just added it to me defenses. 8)

I didn't know the right-click/google trick, that is slick!

oh my god, I learned something today! i didnt know that eiter

I must've tried FireFox five times already and always went back to IE. There have always been some bugs or other stuff that made me uninstall it. And i really want to use it, but it just ain't mature enough yet. The only one that i did keep for a while was Beonex back then, but they stopped development on that after a few months.

thop said:
I must've tried FireFox five times already and always went back to IE. There have always been some bugs or other stuff that made me uninstall it. And i really want to use it, but it just ain't mature enough yet. The only one that i did keep for a while was Beonex back then, but they stopped development on that after a few months.

It's still work in progress. Try Mozilla instead. Anything but IE.

I use NetCaptor, which is pretty much like Maxthon. I also use Opera for pages which can't be rendered with IE (some Java stuff etc.).

been using mozilla/firefox for about a year, IE is so stupid, spyware bait.
Since using firefox, the most spyware I've had, is 5 items.. and they were just dataminers, not alexa, which I got after using IE for like 5 mins.
Havent tried opera lately, think Ill stick with firefox.
Oh and firefox works perfectly for me, nothing at all is wrong with it for my needs.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
thop said:

It's still work in progress. Try Mozilla instead. Anything but IE.

I did, numerous of times.

The mozilla based browsers just doesn't feel right. Maxthon is so much faster and has tons and tons of options that I gotten used to. Before you say, extensions can fix that. Some yes, but far from all, and when there is an extension it's usually not as good/fast.

radeonic2 said:
Since using firefox, the most spyware I've had, is 5 items.. and they were just dataminers, not alexa, which I got after using IE for like 5 mins.

Guess you didn't know that Alexa comes with windows itself. It's the feature that enables you to click the "related" button in IE.

I'm running an IE based browser and I've never gotten spyware, so I guess it also comes down to awareness. I protect myself with spywareblaster and comon sense ;).

carpediem said:
radeonic2 said:

Guess you didn't know that Alexa comes with windows itself. It's the feature that enables you to click the "related" button in IE.

I'm running an IE based browser and I've never gotten spyware, so I guess it also comes down to awareness. I protect myself with spywareblaster and comon sense ;).
Oh..
Common sense?
Get real, I pretty proficient in using pcs ;)
Just using the internet like popups and stuff you get em, dont even have to click.. you think I would click a popup box?
It's a matter of security here, and microsoft has never been good about it, active x is the devil of the internet, it pains me to know that theres a pluggin for firefox for active x.. it's like they dont have a clue at all.

radeonic2 said:
carpediem said:
radeonic2 said:

Oh..
Common sense?
Get real, I pretty proficient in using pcs ;)
Just using the internet like popups and stuff you get em, dont even have to click.. you think I would click a popup box?
It's a matter of security here, and microsoft has never been good about it, active x is the devil of the internet, it pains me to know that theres a pluggin for firefox for active x.. it's like they dont have a clue at all.

SP2 takes care of ALOT of the ActiveX issues though. It takes a much more active effort to install an ActiveX component now. :)

I also use Ad Muncher which can filter out harmful code before it's even rendered in any browser.

Ok, I've been using Firefox damned near exclusively since initially posting this and for the first time today I ran adaware....and I had ONE tracker just. (And I think that is from using IE a couple of times for some sites that weren't firefox friendly.)

Spybot detected 5 DSO exploits, (but I believe that is a bug), and 1 "SearchForIt".

MUCHLY better than my average weekly scan when I used to run IE.

Firefox is definately worth it to switch to. 8)

Back