Scientists Set Internet2 Speed Record

Scientists at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) and the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) set a new land-speed record for Internet2, a second-generation network serving universities and research institutes.

The team, which included folks from AMD, Cisco, Microsoft Research, Newisys, and S2io, transferred 859 gigabytes of data in less than 17 minutes. It did so at a rate of 6.63 gigabits per second between the CERN facility in Geneva, Switzerland, and Caltech in Pasadena, Calif., a distance of more than 15,766 kilometers, or approximately 9,800 miles.

Scientists are racing to move gigantic amounts of data by 2007, when CERN's Large Hadron Collider (LHC) will switch on. This huge underground particle accelerator will produce some 15 petabytes of data a year, which will be stored and analyzed on a global grid of computer centers.

High-energy physicists are excited about the LHC because they hope it will allow them to find the Higgs boson, a theoretical particle that they believe creates mass.

"Physicists are trying to fill in the blank spaces in our model of high energy physics," said Jim Gray a Microsoft Research engineer who helped set Wednesday's record.

But this $10 billion collider will be of little use if scientists around the world can't access the data.

Researchers aren't the only ones excited about blazing data speeds. This record speed of 6.63Gbps is equivalent to transferring a full-length DVD movie in four seconds. There are uses in astronomy, bioinformatics, global climate modeling and seismology, as well as commercial applications from entertainment to oil and gas exploration.

Internet2 is fast -- Abilene, a U.S. cross-country backbone network, blasts data at 10Gbps. But transoceanic networking is another story. There are hardware and software issues to overcome, Gray said.

For example, one limiting factor is that the fastest available interface for PCs is the PCIX64 Bus Isolation Extender, which can only handle 7.5Gbps.

The land-speed test is part of an ongoing R&D program to create high-speed global networks as the foundation of next-generation, data-intensive grids with a goal of transferring data at 1Gbps.

The performance also is the first record to break the 100-petabit meter per second mark. One petabit is 1,000,000,000,000,000 bits. That may seem like an almost inconceivably large number, but Gray said storing petabits of data is a fact of life for many large corporations. He said Microsoft has about 5 petabits of data, and he estimates Google and Yahoo store that much, as well.

"If you have a million customers and they each have a gigabyte of storage, that's a petabit," he said.

The technology used in setting this record included S2io's Xframe 10 GbE server adapter, Cisco 7600 Series Routers, Newisys 4300 servers using AMD Opteron processors, Itanium servers and the 64-bit version of Windows Server 2003.

News Source: InternetNews

On the same topic, seems they decided to really work on High speed for all here. They plan to have 96 % of the population with a 8 Mb adsl connection by the end of next year.

PatrickL said:
On the same topic, seems they decided to really work on High speed for all here. They plan to have 96 % of the population with a 8 Mb adsl connection by the end of next year.

WOW!!!

Can I come live by you?? :D

I remember 14 years ago when T1s were the primary backbone between the United States and Europe, and one 56K modem was the backbone of my internet access in high school just a few years later.

Now we can get T1 speeds very easily, and 56K modems are going extinct. I figure by 2020 we'll have at least T3 speeds to the home, and technologies like this will be what's helping fuel our bandwidth needs. :)

Verizon deploying FIOS is going to have a huge impact on residential bandwidth in the states, especially if they implement compression technologies such as Dense Wave Division Multiplexing (DWDM) that enable multiple beams of light to be sent along the same fiber, exponentially increasing the bandwidth that a single strand can carry.

I remember first reading about it in 1998. Fiber to the home is going to be huge.

Now if only someone could come up with a hard drive that could read/write far faster than what we've got today... :)

I need some help here. They transferred 859GB in 17 seconds ... OK, where did they read from (let alone write to) the stuff that fast? Or did they just use some ultra fast packet generator?

Also a question about the particle accelerator: It produces 15 Mio. GB every year ... where the hell do they store all that data? And what supercomputers will they build to process ~50000GB every day?

A quick calculation revealed that the particle accelerator will produce ~590MB of data every second! Now sth. doesn't sound right here.

thop said:
I need some help here. They transferred 859GB in 17 seconds ...

17 minutes

Also a question about the particle accelerator: It produces 15 Mio. GB every year ... where the hell do they store all that data? And what supercomputers will they build to process ~50000GB every day?

A quick calculation revealed that the particle accelerator will produce ~590MB of data every second! Now sth. doesn't sound right here.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/03/grid_computer_demo/

PatrickL said:
where is this :?:

France.
Obvioulsy you can have acces to that speed. It does not mean that everyone will pay for :)
But it will be available.

In one of the emails from my isp they said we would have 52mb/sec by sometime next year.
So this probably means a constant real speed of 3mbyte/sec wich isnt bad.
I assumed this speed was going to be standard everywhere pretty soon?
I am expecting to get 1gbit by 2010 and 10gbit by 2015, i read an article that said theyre planning 10gbit by 2010 in japan so i figured it should be almost everywhere 5 years later.

I expect harddrives will handle 1gbit internet easy by 2010 and i hope we have some solid state memory like mram or nanotube based by 2015 wich would probably be 100gbit or even a terabit or more so 10gbit internet wont be a problem by then.

I could be wrong about this, but i think that when you have fibre optics they are not the limiting factor and all you need is faster technology on the end of those cables like the routers and whatever else is needed.
They are working on all optical routers for this..

Yes but theses fibers are not exactly cheap to produce and then cable everywhere. Here we will move to adsl 2 + (16 Mb in the best condition down to 8 in the worst) because it mostly needs to work on nodes not reinstall cables on the whole country.

Yeah, but either ADSL or ADSL2+ only have 1Mbit upload to those potential 26Mbit down of ADSL2+. VDSL can have as much as 9Mbit up, but is severely hampered by distance requirements, most ISPs have stopped delivering VDSL here.

It's better to bite the bullet and go FTTC now IMO, I have 10/10Mbit(@€35/m, no traffic limit) at home now, and even have 100/100Mbit(@€65/m, 300G limit however) as an option. The cost isn't _that_ much for FTTC either, really. It's just a fraction of what the POTS cabling cost(did you know at one time the value of the copper metal in AT&Ts wires equalled 80% of their market value?). :)

My neighboring city is well underway completing their FTTC MAN, which will cover 70-80% of the households in that "county", the rest with radio-links and only the most remote with xDSL. Quite nice little arrangement also, the MAN is completely independent from the ISP:s.

Its funny 65€/month or even less is considered expensive by most people here, when i had modem internet i used to pay up to 150€ per month and this was while trying to keep the cost down by not going to much on the internet, i spend more than twice that time online now.
I wonder why phone is even this expensive? About 1€ per hour here in the low price hours.
I think its almost all profit.

I actualy also think the 40€/month i pay now is to much but at least it is reasonable.

Hum very honnestly, i think the upload limit above 512 is irrelevant for most internet users. Unless they are professionals of course and theses can have better connections.

Well, if you're say, three in the household, one FTP:ing down files full bore(cluttering the up pipe with ACK:s), one serving a BF1942 game with his friends and you're trying to call someone using a VOIP box...

As we don't have QoS for quite a while, a lot of headroom is _really_ helpful.

Back