Burnout 3

-tkf-,
do you think these two games can be compared on a tech level?
Custom Xbox games like that tend to show that the system has graphical advantages in pixel shading (where it'd probably be used most noticeably to make a nice glistening surface for a roadside lake), texturing for more variety and better looking tracks, and IQ for suppressing the alaising.

Lazy8s said:
texturing for more variety and better looking tracks, and IQ for suppressing the alaising.

Would those be the two things that would be most noteable, all though, Rallisport 2 features some very nice touches like grass etc, is that "shader" based?

Personally i think Rallisport 2 is one of the best looking driving games ever it ranks with GT3 and GT4:prologue well, and it seems Burnout 3 :)

Jaws said:
Ug Lee said:
This game is incredible. Right now I'm going to rate it as the best looking racing game on any console, period. Makes a further mockery of PGR2, don't worry about that.

How does the physics engine/ crashes compare with something like the MS XNA crash demo?

Burnout3 and GT4 should tie me over until next gen! 8) ...Btw, look forward to your PS2/ XB comparison! :p

I believe it compares quite favourably. Of course a lot of the crashes in BO3 are ludicrously over the top...but that's part of what makes it such a laugh, bumping a guy into the right scenery at the right time and his smashed car goes airborne... :LOL: :LOL:

Obviously the physics aren't going to be compared to any games attempting to simulate realism, but they feel right for what the game is trying to do. If a car rams you from behind at a good speed, you more than likely will lose control momentarily while your car goes a bit heywire, but that moment is all you need to hit a wall and get taken down.

This game really is amazing.

Sound.. 5.1 on the XBOX normal Dolby on the PS2
PS2 version has DPL2, but Xbox version has custom soundtracks. The funny thing is, the main IGN score is a bit arbitrary, if you compare the individual scores for graphics, music, etc. you'll see that they are mostly the same, but the PS2 version has 0.5 higher score for graphics, and Xbox version has 0.5 higher score in sound department.

marconelly! said:
Sound.. 5.1 on the XBOX normal Dolby on the PS2
PS2 version has DPL2, but Xbox version has custom soundtracks. The funny thing is, the main IGN score is a bit arbitrary, if you compare the individual scores for graphics, music, etc. you'll see that they are mostly the same, but the PS2 version has 0.5 higher score for graphics, and Xbox version has 0.5 higher score in sound department.

Well i guess it's fair, if we consider that the XBOX should be able to have better looking graphics there should be some headroom left and 5.1 + Custom soundtracks is better than DPL2 :)

I always disable the soundtrack in racing games (ok this game is pushing the term racing). Only game where i can't get enough is Vice City.

Picked up the X-BOX version today (had never bought any Burnout on PS2, my BO2 is on GameCube, heh !), I think there are some forms of AA applied, but not significant to cure the jaggies.

I like the takedown very much, ha ha ha ! Crazy bumping on others.

Burnout 3 is not out until the 10th Sept in the UK.

There is some confusion over whether it supports the Logitec Pro & GT Force wheels on the PS2

BO2 supported the GT Force wheel.

Support for the new Logitec wheel would make a real difference to me.

It is clear to me that the dominant position of the PS2 is holding back Xbox development.

These multi-format titles are optimised for the PS2, with the Xbox verison being a little clearer because of it's texturing capabilities and output quality.

I'm sure if Criterion had developed BO3 just for the Xbox there would be some significant improvements taking advantage of the Xbox's extra capabilities.

It is sad that the Xbox is not going to get the treatment it deserves from a number of world class developers. Those that are concentrating on the system now are too few to make a substanital impression.

Looking at BO3 you would think the PS2 is just as powerful as the Xbox, but that is not really true. It is a false impression. There are just so few Xbox games that truely eclipse what the PS2 can offer. As the best Dev's move to next gen development, this is going to more common.

We should see PS2 games continue to improve due to greater understanding of the hardware, a larger pool of developers to share best practice and tools like the Performance Analyser. Whereas with the Xbox we will see a plateau, with no real increase due to the best developers switching to the Xenon.

Just look at Criterion. They have just released their 3rd generation PS2 title. "Black" will be a 4th generation title. They are continually pushing the PS2 hardware with each generation. The Xbox seems to be able to take these improvements without breaking sweat. Imagine if Criterion were pushing the Xbox as their lead system and they didn't have to accommodate the PS2?

I hope the Konami ZOE team will be able to develop a 3rd PS2 title. It would be interesting to see what they are able to achieve. Another team I would like to see do another title is SCEE Cambridge. Primal and Ghosthunter were technically very impressive. Melbourne House were able to achieve a lot between there Grand Prix game and Transformers. Another title from them would also be interesting.

I also wonder if GT4 will actually have a new graphics engine? Although Prologue looks good, it is not a Prog Scan title.

Nick Laslett said:
Burnout 3 is not out until the 10th Sept in the UK.

There is some confusion over whether it supports the Logitec Pro & GT Force wheels on the PS2

BO2 supported the GT Force wheel.

Support for the new Logitec wheel would make a real difference to me.

Read from GA Forum, someone has the released game said the game supports the Logitech GT Force wheel.

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=13594

Nick Laslett said:
I also wonder if GT4 will actually have a new graphics engine? Although Prologue looks good, it is not a Prog Scan title.

Yes it has a totally new graphics engine.

They are throwing insane amounts of money at GT4 (between 60 and 80 million US dollar), it would've been quite obsene just to update the graphics engine. ;)

The top 20 Xbox titles look MUCH better than the top 20 PS2 titles. Anyone who can't see this is either blind or has a poor TV. On my HDTV the difference between Xbox and PS2 is like night and day. GT3 looks like a horrible shimmering mess compared to RSC 2 for example, but most people don't have a good enough TV or eye to notice.

I will admit however that there are some games on the PS2 that are a triumph of art direction over technical considerations like ICO or GT3 (despite it's problems), but they are pretty few and far between.

hey69 said:
how the heck do they suppose to win money back if they spend 80mil $ ona game?

Even if they sell more than 10 million copies, they're not going to earn any money, although it might sell more systems or network adapters, and it will certainly expand the PlayStation 2 software catalogue.

Shenmue has been surpassed in production costs by GT4, and is now the second most expensive title ever made. (35 million dollar versus 60 - 80 million). I hope everybody now realises why SCEI released all those Prologue versions at the price of a full game. ;)

Cambridge Studios have a third PS2 game in development. ;)

Three games per console is their stance... But I don't know how many games they did in the 'Millenium' days before Sony Europe acquired them.

PS1

Medievil
Medievil 2
C-12 Final Resistance

PS2

Primal
Ghosthunter

And I'm sureBurnout 3 supports the Logitech steering wheels, because EA's NFSU supported the wheel with full FF effects. But it would be completely stupid of EA if they told Criterion to drop it. :rolleyes: :devilish: o_O

What I know about Cambridge studio is that they began pre-production of Primal 2 in some way or another, but put the title into the freezing compartiment for a while, to work on another project. They are working on a Medievil for PSP, but I doub they need a lot of manpower for that, so it seems logic to me a new PS2 project is on the way. :)

Burnout 2 is simply one of the best racing games I've played in the past few years. It is pure arcade racing mixed in with Destruction Derby. I didn't get hooked on the first two games but this one does everything flawlessly. The game is very addictive to say the least. I can see it selling a good 2 million units without a problem.

GT4 will make money for Sony. $80 million is a lot for the development of a game, but when they end up selling 5 million copies priced at 40 or 50 dollars they will make quite a big profit from the game. The total budget for the game might be $100 million but I expect the game to gross $200 million at the very least.

Nick Laslett said:
Imagine if Criterion were pushing the Xbox as their lead system and they didn't have to accommodate the PS2?

Well so far there haven't been any XBOX title where i thought it was truely outstanding and impossible to be recreate on the PS2.

I guess the dirty secret is that while the XBOX should be more powerfull the developers have learned that it takes much skill, time and money to get that extra power out of it. And the PS2 developers are so experienced now that they are doing stuff like Progressive scan AND showing graphics like in Burnout 3. And apart from "us" very few realworld gamers give a f*ck about jaggies and texture shimmers.

Re: the GT4 developing price, how many copies did GT3 sell?

The top 20 Xbox titles look MUCH better than the top 20 PS2 titles.
I don't think there's 20 Xbox games that look MUCH better than BO3, Zoe2, SH3, Jak 2/3, MGS3, AC5 or CoN.

There definitely is a select few Xbox titles that I find very impressive looking, but going by the machine specs alone, one would expect there'd be a lot more of them by now.

Also, Ico, even to this day, is one of the technically more accomplished console games, just going by the laundry list if graphics features it supports - back when it was released, it was pretty much unmatched.

-tkf- said:
Re: the GT4 developing price, how many copies did GT3 sell?

10 or 12 million (not sure) according to Sony but that was a while back, there's a photo of a slide from apresentation with the top selling PS2 games floating around.

Back