Burnout 3

Ug Lee

Newcomer
Picked the game up today (Xbox), having previously played the PS2 demo.

This game is incredible. Right now I'm going to rate it as the best looking racing game on any console, period. Makes a further mockery of PGR2, don't worry about that.

I'm looking forward to playing the PS2 version when it's released here, to see how it looks next to the Xbox edition. Needless to say I'm impressed that the motion blur has made it to the Xbox, after the second game suffered in comparison.

I'll probably wind up being more blown away by the game on PS2, simply because the game is running on PS2. Criterion deserve all the praise coming their way for this game.

Now that they've been bought out by the evil empire, EA could do a lot worse than ask Criterion to develop a new Road Rash game. :devilish:

Ug Lee said:
This game is incredible. Right now I'm going to rate it as the best looking racing game on any console, period. Makes a further mockery of PGR2, don't worry about that.

How does the physics engine/ crashes compare with something like the MS XNA crash demo?

Burnout3 and GT4 should tie me over until next gen! 8) ...Btw, look forward to your PS2/ XB comparison! :p

The sparkles are more shiny shine on the PS2 ... yeah, really ... have a look:

xbox_vs_ps2_1.jpg

Fredi

Jaws said:
Ug Lee said:
How does the physics engine/ crashes compare with something like the MS XNA crash demo?

I would say that Im not that impressed with XNA Crash demos now, Burnout 3 deformation after crashes are excellent and done in todays hardware.

Definitely my favourite racing game of this year, GT 4 will most probably have better graphics, but Im a lot more into arcade racing that simulation/collection GT type racing.

So considering that the PS2 version is pratically identical to the XBOX version (IGN reviews) does this confirm that when the developers know what they are doing there shouldn't be a big difference between games on the two platforms?

Or does it just tell us that the XBOX version could have been much better looking. With for example FSAA?

The developer's goal with Burnout 3 was to make the best looking game available for PS2, but they didn't feel that was doing injustice to the Xbox audience since the game also looks like a high-quality Xbox racer.

If you want to compare it to similar game designed specifically for Xbox, look at OutRun 2.

I don't trust IGN screenshots because they always mix up multi-platform screenshots...

Isn't there platform specific galleries at the EA website for the game?

With for example FSAA?
I haven't seen XBox version myself, so I can't say if it's real...
but the shots in the link DeathKnight just posted are very obviously AAed. Maybe even a bit too perfect in a few shots :p

That's quite the AA....

hm... *goes to look for official forums*

Otherwise, one could compare these to some shots of PGR2 because it uses AA in-game.

TXB may have resized the shots to fit 4:3 (720x549). Widescreen would have been 720x480 in the framebuffer (from what I've seen of screenshot mods for xbox, the screenshots taken directly from a widescreen game come out as 720x480...something like that ;) ).

I don't trust IGN screenshots because they always mix up multi-platform screenshots...
Not this time. PS2 version does have more shiny shine sparks, some guys have already compared that in actual games, as it's out in Europe.

Lazy8s said:
The developer's goal with Burnout 3 was to make the best looking game available for PS2, but they didn't feel that was doing injustice to the Xbox audience since the game also looks like a high-quality Xbox racer.

If you want to compare it to similar game designed specifically for Xbox, look at OutRun 2.

Outrun 2 is on my Check List, do you think these two games can be compared on a tech level? Not having seen Outrun 2 at all i couldn't tell. But from the screenshots it's seems like Outrun 2 is more texture heavy. The graphics style reminds me alot of the old Amiga racers :)

-tkf- said:
So considering that the PS2 version is pratically identical to the XBOX version (IGN reviews) does this confirm that when the developers know what they are doing there shouldn't be a big difference between games on the two platforms?
No. Racing games just happen to be a good fit for the PS2 hardware as they're usually more about pushing lots of polygons at high framerates than fancy shaders.

Not shiny? Are you sure?
I have not compared them myself but several guys did. You can see it pretty clearly if you just watch two high res videos on the IGN, those comparision screens are just taken from that video. You can see an example of those sparks in the PS2 version here:
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/542/542205/burnout-3-takedown-20040825050448739.jpg
I can at least confirm they do look like that in the PS2 version as I've played the demo of it.

usually more about pushing lots of polygons at high framerates than fancy shaders.
Even when it comes to fancy texture effects, BO3 is no slouch. It has some really nice looking specular maping and blooming, and very nice looking env mapping (I think they said they did a cubic mapping on players car which would be the first on the PS2)

No. Racing games just happen to be a good fit for the PS2 hardware as they're usually more about pushing lots of polygons at high framerates than fancy shaders.
Is that why GT3 is among the low-end poly games on PS2? :p

Fafalada said:
Is that why GT3 is among the low-end poly games on PS2? :p
Isn't GT3 the exception rather than the rule though? Ignoring the worse looking racers on the system (or any system for that matter).

I just got the (xbox) recently its the most fun racing game I have played in years, kind of reminds me of the first time I played destruction derby back on the psone. The game is gorgeous and never seems to drop from 60fps.

Cant say enough about this game just so much over the top fun!

Back