Predict the next-generation!

GwymWeepa

Regular
Tell us what you think will happen next-generation, go into as much detail as you want. (i'm bored, waiting to see if that hurricane hits us here in south florida, so please entertain me)

I expect the xbox2 to come out first, be the easiest machine to develop for, and probably the second most powerful. There will probably be peripherals to make it a pc-lite in time and help capitalize on the whole XNA initiative, bringing the console and pc closer in capabilities. I believe the machine will be doomed to relative failure (being a distant second to the PS3). PS3 I expect to be the most powerful machine (though who knows, it may be difficult to squeeze that power out) and be the best seller. It too will have a ton of peripherals, but making it more an entertainment center than being too much like a pc, though there will probably be a move towards that, though its the PS4 that I expect to be a general computing device. Revolution I expect to be the least powerful, though that will make little difference IMO, but it will rely on gimmicks to help sell the unit, its peripherals will revolve around odd modes of gameplay as opposed to anything that may widen its audience. I'm praying for VR, but I don't see it likely.

As a whole I think that next-generation consoles will be the graphics leaders for a long time, PC's will quickly catch up technologically, but considering how much money it will take to make a game truly specatcular looking next-gen, I think console games will be much more likely to get such budgets, though there will be more ports of such games to PC to try to recoup costs.

1. Amiga will make a return and license Cell technology!

2. Sega, SNK and Atari will combine to make an Uber console!

3. Ninty will bring back the 'Virtual Boy' with all colors except 'green'!

4. Xenon will finallly become an inert 'gas'!

5. IBM will shaft Apple with 'Uber' Cell PC's!

6. Apple will license Cell architecture!

7. Wintel PC's will somehow still exist with a symbiotic relationship with Xenon!

8. Bitmap brothers sue MS for stealing the 'Xenon' shmup name!

9. SquareEnix releases FF13, ports to PC, then realizes it's 'accidently' used XNA, therefore has to port to Xenon!

10. We all moan on how crap next gen graphix are and B3D is overun on threads about PS4, Radon and Evolution...

Just some random thoughts! :p

The next console cycle has been fought and won already. Just like it was with the current console cycle.

SEGA-SAMMY, SNK, NAMCO, TAITO, CAPCOM will launch their own console backed by Matsushita/Panasonic, Hitachi, NEC and ATI.

Nintendo's Revolution is side-lined by the new big three: Xbox2, PS3 and the above grand alliance's 'NeoGenesis' console.

Xbox2 does well at first but is soon eclipsed by PS3 and NeoGenesis.

Xbox2 and Revolution fight for 3rd place while NeoGenensis and PS3 contend for 1st in an epic battle like Genesis vs SNES. ultimately PS3 manages to outsell NeoGenesis but just barely. paving the way for Sony's downfall in the PS4 generation.

^wild happy horse poop, but much fun^

8)

Oh and i expect the following graphics for NFSU3 on PS3, no less ;)

nissan1.jpg

thop said:
Oh and i expect the following graphics for NFSU3 on PS3, no less ;)

nissan1.jpg
I have similar expectations, except in-game I expect perhaps a little bit more aliasing than in that pic..

I'm very curious about what Hudson Soft has cooked up with its POEMS chip. I really liked the NEC PC Engine system and to me I really thought it aggressively pushed the boundaries of a game console for its time.

With POEMS I'm not expecting something big like a console but hopefully a unique device. An intresting side not but Hudson Soft has used the word revolutionary to describe the chip.

Production of original, high-quality content and technologies. In the future, we hope to take advantage of our past research to create new opportunities for business through alliances with other companies. This year, we expect our partners to release a number of products utilizing Hudson's revolutionary POEMS semiconductor.

http://www.hudson.co.jp/corp/eng/coinfo/contents.html

The original press release of licensing the Tensilica Xtenscia CPU is intresting.

“Xtensa will enable us to deliver breakthrough graphics quality to manufacturers of small, battery-operated hand-held devices as well as specialty entertainment consoles,â€￾ said Satoshi Murakami, executive officer, Core Technology Division, Hudson Soft. “The ability to configure and extend the Xtensa processor to our exact needs lets us get maximum performance with a shorter time to market.â€￾

http://www.tensilica.com/html/pr_2002_10_15.html

What is a "specialty entertainment console"? Anyway, I'm optomistic that POEMS should be intresting.

Xenon gets fed up, finally evolves into what it is supposed to be, and gets dispersed as a gas into the environment. Microsoft has no option but to name the successor to Xbox2, "Trapped Wind".

Jaws said:
1. Amiga will make a return and license Cell technology!
You now, that could happen. If Sony or IBM is willing to license Cell that early on, that is.
It could really accelerate the growth of the Cell market, if some computer manufactures (other than Sony and IBM) made Cell workstations and Cell home computers.
And who better to do that, than a company that has no investments in the current OSes and hardware?

london-boy said:
And what would you run on Cell PCs? Linux? Ain't gonna go mainstream if it only runs Linux methinks...
If it runs PS3 games it will! :D
All you really need to go mainstream is unified file formats that all platforms can use.
All the basic application needs of the common user is catered for by standard Linux and COLADA hints that at least some of the big 3d apps are going to be converted to the Cell OS Linux variant.

Squeak said:
london-boy said:
And what would you run on Cell PCs? Linux? Ain't gonna go mainstream if it only runs Linux methinks...
If it runs PS3 games it will! :D
All you really need to go mainstream is unified file formats that all platforms can use.
All the basic application needs of the common user is catered for by standard Linux and COLADA hints that at least some of the big 3d apps are going to be converted to the Cell OS Linux variant.

I agree with that, but for "mainstream" i mean something that can takle the domination of the Windows systems.... Ain't gonna happen anytime soon, and not becasue Cell ain't up to it (it might or it might not for all we know), but because it's just a TOUGH nut to crack.

Windows has never really had any serious competition from products of other big corporations. Sure there has been Apple, but their ridiculous pricing strategy and their reluctance to let others produce hardware (and the lack of good games), has let them to the sad state they have declined to today. IBMs failed attempts to conquer back their own platform is better left unmentioned, not because of their quality but because of the painfull lack of will/ability to push them out to the consumers.

If someone did a really radically better UI than the current Alto/Mac derivatives - which shoulden't be very hard to do - and a healthy office pack like Staroffice, they could stand a fighting chance.

Squeak said:
Windows has never really had any serious competition from products of other big corporations. Sure there has been Apple, but their ridiculous pricing strategy and their reluctance to let others produce hardware (and the lack of good games), has let them to the sad state they have declined to today. IBMs failed attempts to conquer back their own platform is better left unmentioned, not because of their quality but because of the painfull lack of will/ability to push them out to the consumers.

If someone did a really radically better UI than the current Alto/Mac derivatives - which shoulden't be very hard to do - and a healthy office pack like Staroffice, they could stand a fighting chance.

Don't get me wrong, it can be done, anything can be done, but it's gonna take a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time before those 1 billion or so PCs using Windows are substituted with "other stuff". And no one seems to be bothered to do it anyway, so i guess we'll be stuck with MS for decades.

Apple don't want a big market share. I've read an interview some time ago about it. There are some very good reasons why. Ever wondered why there's not one single virus on OS X? A small market share and only one hardware producer has some great advantages. Apple did try to license the hardware sector, but after a while they realised that there are some problems with it they just not want.

Fredi

london-boy said:

:rolleyes: Methinks you don't have a clue...

Wake up, it's 2004.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18244

Linux is exploding across the globe from the smallest to the largest computing devices and is eating away at MS's revenues at an increasing rate as the number of companies and governments migrate away from MS products to Linux.

I can pop a Lindows/Knoppix/etc Linux CD in just about any x86 peecee and have virus/spyware free system any casual user can email, web-browse, and basic word processing and printing with in a very short amount of time with no fiddling with hardware settings. I've done it many times.

The only area the open source crowd hasn't gotten a handle on yet is a drop-in replacement for Exchange. But that looks like it is only a matter of time.

MS execs wouldn't be giving interviews like this:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/09/01/HNbullishbearishballmer_1.html

if they weren't crapping in the pants.

Here ya go, these are definite predictions of the future. 8)
This goes up to 2007, maybe I'll write up the rest later if I have too much time on my hands :p

March:
- PSP launches at 600$ in US. Nintendo announces GBA2.
May:
- PS3 unveiled, the only playable app is chess running across 64 networked Cell workstations.
- DNF announced to be Revolution launch title.

August:
- Xenon delayed to March 2006.
Dec:
- PSP userbase reaches 20.000.

March:
- Xenon released in US/Europe without HDD. Rioting gamers break down several stores.
- PS3 released in Japan at 700$. Record breaking sales.
- PSP worldwide userbase reaches 22.000
April:
- Xenon hacked
May:
- Xenon hack said to be an april fools by MS rep.
- Nintendo unveils GBA2.
- Chess version 1.23 demoed for PS3 workstations.
- Lik-sang begins selling Xenon modchips
June:
- PSP battery unit proved hazardous to health, the entire worldwide shipment of 50.000 units recalled. PSP an expensive flop.
Oct-Dec:
- PS3 launched in US @ 500$, holliday sale frenzy causes riots. Army called in to assist the police.
- PS3 userbase reaches 10milion.
- Apple annonces "I-Cell".
- Consumers boycott Xenon launch in Japan - several retailers go out of bussiness.

March:
- PSPee, a redesign with a new battery unit released in Japan for 600$.
- GBA2 launch in Japan outsold only by PS3.
- PS3 released in Europe and other areas. PS3 userbase reaches 15milion.
- Apple's I-Cell a big hit. Samsung and Sony announce a new line of laptops powered by Cell.
May:
- Nintendo reaffirms their plans for Revolution.
- DNF confirmed to be on track for Revolution launch.
- Halo3 shown for Xenon
- Chess version 1.33 demoed for PS3.

Back