So what anime shows are you watching?

oi

Regular
I'm currently following Madlax, GantZ, Tenjou Tenge and Elfen Lied. And if I find myself with nothing to do I'll sometimes watch Fullmetal Alchemist and Naruto heh.

Madlax is easily the gem of what's airing right now, imo, although it had a somewhat weak start. GantZ and Elfen Lied is my fix of excessive violence, and Tenjou Tenge, well, Tenjo Tenge got big boobs and bad humour ;)

The situation with GantZ is pretty funny though, since season 1 ended at ep11, and season 2 starts at ep 14, meaning that they cut/censored 2 episodes worth lol.

Oh yeah, forgot about Macross Zero, which is total ownage. Too bad there's only one ep every six months.

hehe. inuyasha.

epic
edit aslo ive watched big o, and witch hunter robin, both not bad. although big o was a bit confusing.

I'm watching Naruto and FMA, and if time permits Tenjou Tenge.

Gantz made me cringe most of the time, but somehow I still watch a fair bit of it --- can't really say why...

So you're saying it's worth watching Ladmax then? Please say it doesn't have giant robots, whining kids, or a harem of girls... :p

Currently..
Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Infinite Ryvius
Azumanga Daioh

I'll be rewatching Neon Genesis Evangelion as soon as I finish one or two of the above, I haven't watched it in years.

ot: Hmmm.. that reminds me, I'll want to reread the Nausicaa manga soon too, it's soooo good!

Well, Madlax is a BeeTrain anime (Noir, .hack, Avenger), so it's not exactly for everyone. I thought it was a straight up Noir clone after the first ep, but luckily that wasn't the case hehe. As I said it got a somewhat slow start though, and I pretty much just kept watching it because I thought it had a great soundtrack hehe. But I really started enjoying it after they got past the introduction of the chars and the story started to kick in.

Please say it doesn't have giant robots, whining kids, or a harem of girls...

Are there animes without any of those traits? :oops: But no, no giant robots or whining kids, but most of the main characters are girls though ;)

Edit: On the topic of Evangelion, I'm getting pretty temped to buy the new Platinum releases, since they're supposed to have really really nice audio/video quality. The only problem with that is that I didn't really like the series that much, but loved the End of Eva movie hehe.

Samurai Champloo
(I love the music, the art direction and the chara design ... not sure about the plot though)

GITS:SAC 2nd GIG
(deep plot with many twists, IMHO top notch art direction and Tachikoma rules)

2x2 = Shinobuden
(so quirky, so nutty, so weird, so much fun)

Paranoia Agent
(... disturbing, sophisticated and very out of the ordinary)

I've been watching Gungrave recently, it started out really good but it has gone a little downhill IMO. I seen a couple ep of Gantz and it is enjoyable. I am also rewatching eva as all the Platinum Ed are coming out.

I was watching Great Teacher Onizuka a few months ago. I could never get into the whole mecha/samurai anime thing. This was like no ordinary anime I've seen...

Since then I've gathered that there are a whole (rather silly)'rabu'-genre, which is somewhat similar, but I've never seen that before anyway.

I got my hands on some Paranoia Agent episodes, and well, I don't really know what to say. It's awesome but disturbing at the same time, that's for sure at least. While I found some parts of the 2nd ep hilarious, the 3rd ep was pretty tragic.

inuyasha, when its on adult swim, I dont download the eps, but its pretty good imo

sorry to bring this thread back from the dead.

Ive just started watching Neon Genesis Evangelion, and must say that from the few episodes ive watched its a great series.

Tell me how you like it when you get to the end.

I haven't had a chance to see it, and would like to get a sampling of viewers outside a few acquaintances who are far more into anime than I am.

3dilettante said:

I haven't had a chance to see it, and would like to get a sampling of viewers outside a few acquaintances who are far more into anime than I am.
No prob. I just got into anime with InuYasha, which i just recently finished watching (season 1, 166 episodes). Im now searching for other quality anime to watch. Any recommendations?

epic

epicstruggle said:
3dilettante said:

No prob. I just got into anime with InuYasha, which i just recently finished watching (season 1, 166 episodes). Im now searching for other quality anime to watch. Any recommendations?

epic

I'm probably not the best judge of quality, since my exposure is somewhat limited, but I can give you a few series I had fun watching.

Hellsing was entertaining, I liked the style, though I don't know how much violence you feel like watching.

I've seen a bit of Naruto thanks to a friend, and I've found much of it to be enjoyable. Warning: This show has one of the few instances of a flashback nested within a flashback I've ever seen. The show really, really likes flashbacks. There's a lot of dialogue and some filler before ninja fights, but nowhere near the level of the DBZ I've seen (except for the ending of the first season, where they managed to stretch 5 minutes into several episodes). It's a lot of fun otherwise.

I also had my introduction to anime through Cartoon Network. I don't believe it was adult swim, though. I caught a few episodes of the Tenchi Muyo OVA, which I found very fun to watch. I don't know where it ranks in levels of quality, but the first time's always special. :D
The Tenchi Universe TV series had its moments.

Don't look into Tenchi in Tokyo, it will make you pine for death, or at least I did after catching the first one.

El Hazard had a number of the same creative team (not the Tokyo one), though I've only seen the OVA series. It was pretty fun.

Among the others I've seen are Scrapped Princess (funny parts, enjoyment will hinge on how much "Religion=Bad" symbolism you can take), Read or Die OVA (lesbian undertones a plus in many circles, don't know if it is in yours), and portions of Outlaw Star.

Outlaw Star is kind difficult for me to take a stand on. I'm not a purist by any means when it comes to dubbing versus subtitles, and I found the cat-girl rather screechy in the Japanese version. I can't deny that a lot gets lost in the translation, however.
One of the best lines of unintended humor I've heard, however, came from the dubbed version of Outlaw Star on Cartoon Network.

I'm the first to admit I'm not an Anime guru or Otaku, so I can't say if my list is a good one, but I had fun watching them.

Right now I'm watching:

Azumanga Daioh - Waiting for Volumes 3 and 4 of the DVD I ordered to show up.
Naruto - Still haven't watched episode 106 yet.
School Rumble - Only seen the first couple of episodes, but 3 and 4 are queued up and ready to go.
Bleach - Fantastic series so far, watched all 4 episodes.

Hanners said:
Right now I'm watching:

Azumanga Daioh - Waiting for Volumes 3 and 4 of the DVD I ordered to show up.
Endorsed. Really excellent. Made me think back to my own school experiences quite a bit... ;)
I think it might be a bit a bit difficult to keep it interesting, but I was thinking the same of Naruto in the beginning and I'm still watching it. Opening and ending themes are very good.

Other recommendations:
- Beck (A bit angsty, plenty of JEnglish, but captivating)
- Hajime no Ippo ("Fighting Spirit"), long series but definitely worth it. And I even hate boxing.
- Invader Zim (not anime obviously)

[maven said:
]
I think it might be a bit a bit difficult to keep it interesting, but I was thinking the same of Naruto in the beginning and I'm still watching it. Opening and ending themes are very good.

I didn't realise until yesterday that it was based on a somewhat long-running manga. I assume that means it's going to run into hundreds of episodes of the anime too, which I think is a shame - It seems like a perfect series to encapsulate in 24 or so episodes. We'll have to see how it transpires though.

I'm watching One Piece. My sister watches it, so I watch it. I even bought all its DVD (more than 30 DVDs I think). It's still on air every week, newer than the DVD releases.

I also have all Azumanga Daioh DVDs. They are pretty good. I also bought the comic books (the cost of all Azumanga comic books is less than one DVD :) ).

I bought the season 1 Inuyasha DVD few years ago, but the distributor didn't release any further seasons until recently, and their season 1 DVD are of very poor quality. They are now re-release the season 1 DVD and other seasons. I am still considering whether to buy them or not. But I bought all Inuyasha movie DVDs (currently 1 ~ 3).

Another DVD set I bought recently is the Ayatsuri Sakon, which is a detective type anime. I saw a few episodes on TV few years ago, and I think it's not bad. So I bought the DVD when it's out.

Back