PVR to Bring Console Quality Gaming to Mobiles

Fox5 said:
I'm guessing dreamcast.
It's probably slightly more than dreamcast - but I think some of the games ports were done rather quickly so they aren't showing off the best features.

but I think some of the games ports were done rather quickly so they aren't showing off the best features.
Game ports? Is there any game media? All I see is a bunch of demo screens. :(

Oh, that one we've seen back in Spring already(same shots even) - I thought there may have been something new shown since you said "ports" as in multiple :p

sunscar said:
Some of it looks even less than DreamCast era quality, maybe Nintendo 64-ish.

Later

Iridius Dio

new.jpg

new1.jpg

***edit:

forgot to link to the source:

http://www.khronos.org/devu/library/Migrating_from_PCs-Atkin.pdf

Those are from tech demos though. Not really representative of what the hardware can actually do under practical in-game strain. The early "in-game" stuff I was seeing was dog-ugly, so there's where my comment on N64-ish came from. I'll see if I can find the images for that though.

Later

Iridius Dio

Edit: I found it, it's on the FTP site posted at the top of the page... It's just the Tony Hawk port, so you may just want to never mind my N64 reference, but still I wouldn't say any better than the DC. Quick question though. Do we have actual specifications on this tech, or do we have developers beating around the bush because the numbers really aren't up to scratch in correlation to their quote of bringing console quality gaming to handhelds?

Do we have actual specifications on this tech

Low end MBX:

No vertex shader
1M tris
100mpixel/s

High end MBX:

Vertex shader
4M tris
350mpixels/s
Free anti-aliasing

So the low end model is similar to Dreamcast and the high end one is well beyond that (especially considering the small screens these chips will be used on).

On tonyh_2_logos.bmp, it seems that it lacks texture perspective correction on the ceiling.
Is that a software or hardware issue? In this case, of course.

Alright, that's more like it, some specs. The high-end is a little higher in geometry, but what are we talking about in an actual gaming environment? How much of that power can it maintain?

Guess that really depends largely on the CPU coupled with the device, CPU/GPU dependancies, engine design, and concern for power consumption. Could be interresting though, to say the least.

Later

Iridius Dio

Back