First S-ATA optical drive...

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=1207&cid=29&pg=1

rearview_sataconnected.jpg

epic

Nice to see optical storage catching up to the rest of the world, but
  • Supports only Intel® 875P / 865PE / 865G / 865GV / 865P / 848P chipset motherboards
    Does not support SATA controller cards
seems a little limiting...

got to start somewhere. Also i think intel chipsets have a bit more umph than amd ones. (speaking as an amd fan).

epic

I wouldn't call that the "first" SATA optical drive. I don't think you can even buy that drive yet while you can buy a Plextor SATA drive. I own one of them and love it. No problems whatsoever with it...it's fast and only needs a one small cable.

Razor04 said:
I wouldn't call that the "first" SATA optical drive. I don't think you can even buy that drive yet while you can buy a Plextor SATA drive. I own one of them and love it. No problems whatsoever with it...it's fast and only needs a one small cable.
how long have you had it? God ive been waiting on one of these babies for a while. Newegg seems to be out of them, might order one this week. You happy with yours?

epic

epicstruggle said:
Razor04 said:
how long have you had it? God ive been waiting on one of these babies for a while. Newegg seems to be out of them, might order one this week. You happy with yours?

epic
I have had it for almost a month now and love it. I have only spotted one problem with it so far and I think that is due to my hardware setup not the drive itself. If I try to install XP from it it loads all the device drivers when booting but right before you get to the screen where you pick the install partition the setup crashes...really annoying. Must have to do with the controller chipset on my motherboard. I haven't had time to figure out if that is indeed what is wrong as it works perfectly in Windows. If you are looking to purchase it I got it from Securemart.com. You can find links to the drive below. It is in stock for roughly $160 depending on the color. One nice thing that came in the box with it was an extra long SATA cable...I thought I could get away with a regular one but I ended up needing the one that came in the box. Just plugged it in and everthing was detected automatically.

Beige
Black

Back