Will 939 ever support DDR2?

This is a little late, but I got around to looking at some pdfs concerning the pins for ddr and ddr2.

In total, unbuffered ddr has 184 pins, while unbuffered ddr2 has 240.

However, most of these extra pins don't necessarily need to be routed through the memory controller.

There are some operational differences between the two memory types, but from my limited comprehension of the literature, the address and command pins that are routed to the CPU are for the most part the same, as the controller doesn't deal with supplying power and ground to the modules.

There are a few features that seem to require a number of new pins, such as the control for On-die termination, and possibly an additional bank address pin for 1 Gbit ddr2 chips. Most of the other differences appear to me to be hidden within the memory controller or handled by some modifications to the control registers on the modules.

It is possible that a few pins could be switched over by the memory controller if it detects ddr2, which sounds doable and is a sight better than having to worry about 128 extra pins if all dimm traces in a dual channel setup went to the cpu.

The differences in voltage and pin numbering would probably necessitate a socket 939b standard, but this could be transparent to the processor, as the motherboard would route the pins as needed.

Thowllly said:
radeonic2 said:
I believe I read on overlclockers.com that there is a socket change.
You really shouldn't believe everything you read at overclockers.com. They also claimed that socket939 would use a 250Mhz "fsb" (instead of 200Mhz) when it was obvious (to me at least) that AMD would simply use a 5x multiplier (instead of 4x). They said this would prevent you from overclocking, since there would be no headroom left. They kept repeating that fud as fact for a long time, then when they were proved wrong about it they never mentioned it again. They've also said lots and lots of other shit that has turned out to be false. I really wouldn't trust them further than I could throw them.
Actually I've noticed that lately, mosty him talking about rumors from theinquirer, which I find absurd, I'm mainly interested in what he says about amd and intel.

maosee said:
they already said the'd be supporting it.

it's coming in late november/early december

nForce4

Er, I was under the impression NF4 wasn't going to support DDR2 (AMD aren't even looking at it until H2 2005, AFAIK). Where did you read that?

PaulS said:
maosee said:
they already said the'd be supporting it.

it's coming in late november/early december

nForce4

Er, I was under the impression NF4 wasn't going to support DDR2 (AMD aren't even looking at it until H2 2005, AFAIK). Where did you read that?

He didn't read it. The CPU has to support the DRAM type, not the core logic. nForce4 can't force any memory type support on the CPU with AMD64.

They might well skip DDR2 altogether too ;)

Rys

Back