Non ultra 6800's - 1 or more disabled vertex processors?

pharma

Legend
Alexey (RivaTuner programmer) made an interesting find -- Non ultra 6800's may have 1 or more disabled vertex processors.

http://content.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=1828

"Yesterday I've received new MSI 6800 instead of old Leadtek 6800, which died during unsuccessfull BIOS flash (Thanks a lot to Andrew Worobiew for providing new one). So I was able to continue NV4x internals exploration and found some extremely interesting facts.

First, our assumption about dyad based pipeline control seems to be wrong. Pipelines are still masked at quad level rather than on dyad level. So RT's pipeline control tab is redesigned and will look a bit different comparing to the screenshots walking in the net.

Second (and the most interesting), I've found the way to detect and enable/disable active vertex units on NV40 boards. The most surprising fact is that _ALL_ 6800 non-Ultra boards I've seen have at least one disabled (bad?) vertex processor too, so just 5 or less of them are active instead of 6 in Ultra models. Like quads, vertex processors can be also disabled at both software and hardware levels, so RT will help you to unlock them only in the first case. Currently we're collecting 6800GT statistics to understand if these processors are full 6800U analogues or they also have ripped configuration due to disabled vertex processors. Also, we hope that NVIDIA will clarify specs for 6800NU/6800LE/6800GT boards, because currently we see the boards with different amount of disabled vertex units sold as regular 6800 model.

That is why I'd like to warn everybody going to buy non-Ultra 6800. We've already detected $350+ OEM Leadtek 6800 boards in Russia, which have 2 disabled quads and 2 disabled vertex processors. So if you're going to buy such board, we strictly recommend you to wait for new RT release and to verify the board before (or immediately after) purchasing. Otherwise you may get a regular 6800LE for a fabulous price."

I think another new thing is this:

We've already detected $350+ OEM Leadtek 6800 boards in Russia, which have 2 disabled quads and 2 disabled vertex processors
In other words: When buying an OEM 6800nu you might be in danger of getting a 6800le instead.

Yet another case where buying OEM is bad, and another reason for me to never buy a full computer.

Luminescent said:
I guess the "new" thing is that the disabled pipe can be unlocked.

The quote in the original post above mentions though that quads and VS units are locked both in soft- as in hardware and that RT will be able to unlock only the software part of the lock. If it should need any hardware "surgery" I'm not going to even deal with it.

FYI, Chal, you don't need to separate (or, more specifically, precede) quotes that aren't full sentences with a comma. Reading your reply aloud will indicate the extraneous squiggles.

Sorry if I'm getting a little *too* "Beyond"3D with an English lesson/reminder. ;^) Hey, maybe that's what nV can toss in next. They've already got a firewall in the nForce and a media processor in the GF, now they can work on a spelling and grammar accelator.

OK, maybe not. =D

Pete said:
now they can work on a spelling and grammar accelator. OK, maybe not. =D

What's an "accelator"? Do you mean "accelerator"? :devilish:

BTW Chalnoth, I understand your comments perfectly ... it's just misspelled words I find confusing. :)

pharma said:
BTW Chalnoth, I understand your comments perfectly ... it's just misspelled words I find confusing. :)

Me too, but the commas are unnecessary and add a lot of noise to a very short phrase. :devilish:

Back