More "baseless" talk from the Inq?

Blade

Veteran
http://www.the-inquirer.net/?article=18097

SLI really isn't just a technology demo, is it? I mean, it's going to cost gamers.. but frankly most of us are used to $1000 upgrades (mobo + 2 SLI-compatible cards) and I'd love to double the performance of a 6800GT..

I mean, I get the point that SLI is nothing new.. most enthusiasts today know about the Voodoo2. I knew a few guys that took that route, and the benefit you receive from dual NV4X cards is very similar to what happened 6 years ago with the V2.

Silly Inquirer.

THe point is currently its over 1000+ just for the chip and mobo. Then a 1000+ for the video cards .

So right now it is just a tech demo. When the nforce 4 hits that may change. Though its only going to be socket 939. So its still going to be 500ish for the bottom line of cpu and mobo. Plus 1000$ for the best sli .

jvd said:
THe point is currently its over 1000+ just for the chip and mobo. Then a 1000+ for the video cards .

Wow it amazes me where people pull these numbers out from.....

trinibwoy said:
jvd said:

Please show me where i can buy a mobo and chip that supports dual pci-e 16x or 16/8x slots .

For under 1k right now .

Yeah, right now JVD.

At the same time, where the heck are you going to find a PCI-E 6800GT or Ultra? They're not out yet. Mainstream S939/SLI-compatible mainboards are coming by Christmas time, just in time for the high-end PCI-E cards.

By this logic, I guess our friend at the Inq is too anxious?

I can buy a pci-e dual mobo and the chip to go along with it right now. Its just that its 1000$

Did you read what i wrote or did you want to just shoot your mouth off and support nvidia ?

THe point is currently its over 1000+ just for the chip and mobo. Then a 1000+ for the video cards
So show me where I am wrong in my comments or stfu please

jvd said:
I can buy a pci-e dual mobo and the chip to go along with it right now. Its just that its 1000$

Did you read what i wrote or did you want to just shoot your mouth off and support nvidia ?

THe point is currently its over 1000+ just for the chip and mobo. Then a 1000+ for the video cards
So show me where I am wrong in my comments or stfu please
yea right now but when nforce 4 comes it isnt gonna be 2000+ like you say ;)

yea right now but when nforce 4 comes it isnt gonna be 2000+ like you say

Well i guess you can't read.

So right now it is just a tech demo. When the nforce 4 hits that may change. Though its only going to be socket 939. So its still going to be 500ish for the bottom line of cpu and mobo. Plus 1000$ for the best sli .

Are you guys done defending nvidia and attacking me ?

g__day said:
I really wish we could stop discussing the Inq, other than in the humour sections of Beyond3d.

I vote for a horror section. How does BeyondCreeps sound? I also have a proposition for a moderator for that forum :p

Haven't read the article, but SLI is a tech demo in the same way that a $500 video card is a tech demo. People who have the money will buy it and enjoy the best performance, while everyone else will stay at the $50-250 level.

Each big generational change tends to bring 2x the performance of the previous gen in the high end. Nothing wrong with having the option of getting the next-gen performance now, which is what SLI seems to be best at.

I'm not sure why you're including the price of the CPU, though, jvd. I think the price of a dual-PEG MB will be premium enough that you don't need to rub it in. :) But dual 6800GTs on an nF4 sounds frickin' awesome, if you can afford it.

I'm not sure why you're including the price of the CPU, though, jvd. I think the price of a dual-PEG MB will be premium enough that you don't need to rub it in. But dual 6800GTs on an nF4 sounds frickin' awesome, if you can afford it.
because you require a new cpu currently for a dual peg board. 80% of the people might require one when the nforce 4 comes out too .

jvd said:

Are you guys done defending nvidia and attacking me ?
Is such trolling really neccessary? :rolleyes:

It's obvious enough that getting an SLI setup isn't going to be cheap - but since when did that stop anybody from purchasing high-end parts? Intel Pentium IVs are very expensive compared to AthlonXPs, yet they still well. In any case, I don't see why you are downplaying SLI. It's meant as a high-end option where you are expected to pay premium for the performance. What's wrong with that? <jvd>Because it's not from ATI?</jvd>

Anyway, Pete, you hit it right on the head.

trinibwoy said:
jvd said:

well he is more than less right...current motherboard that supports it is intel's turnwater which retail for 500+ (and these arent even the ones that have dual pci-e 16x slots) add on top of that the cost of a xeon and you get around 1000+ depending on the which xeon you go with, and if you go dual xeon's, well you get the point....

as for the 1000+ for the video cards, assuming he is referring to the 6800gt or ultra (and using the agp cards as reference price point), they retail for around 500, 600 respectively

...then theres the s939 nf4...the cheapest s939 cpu out now cost around 500...

Is such trolling really neccessary?
who is trolling ? This was disussed in the article we are discusing. Or did you not read the article and what the first poster said in response ?

It's obvious enough that getting an SLI setup isn't going to be cheap
thus them calling it a tech demo

but since when did that stop anybody from purchasing high-end parts?
depends. I know a few people who would spend 500-600 on a video card. But 2k (As of now) for a dual video card ? As the inquer said nothing but a tech demo (That may change though)

Intel Pentium IVs are very expensive compared to AthlonXPs, yet they still wel
But not more expensive than the athlon 64s. Yet the p4 ees sell extremely poorly and the athlon fxs not much better than that.

In any case, I don't see why you are downplaying SLI
who is downplaying it and why do u need to play it up ? I am talking about why the article claimed it to be a tech demo.

Its extremely expensive and well sell to less than 1% of the highend gamers which is 1% of the video card market . That is why they claim its just a tech demo.

meant as a high-end option where you are expected to pay premium for the performance
Thats great for it .

<jvd>Because it's not from ATI?</jvd>

No i don't care for it. Ati can put out a sli x800xt pe and i'd still laugh at it .

Now if they came out with a maxx set up with 2 x800pros on one card that would be diffrent. As all you would need is that card and it would work in any mobo and would not require a new cpu.

Though i think the cooling would be a bit to much and it would be priced to high most likely to even have it considered in the realm of anything but a tech demo.

Why is it whenever someone says something that doesn't cast nvidia in the best light that person gets attacked endlessly ? First by people who don't read the thread. Then from people who don't understand whats being talked about and feel hte need to throw the troll word around when in fact it describes the very thing they were doing .

jvd said:
blah blah blah

Why is it whenever someone says something that doesn't cast nvidia in the best light that person gets attacked endlessly ?

haha, that's gotta be the first time I've seen that claim posted on this particular messageboard. Anyway, you were attacked? :LOL: Lighten up, geez. I guess you can't take disagreement very well since that's all they were doing, in addition to stating their reasons why. Nobody was "attacking" you, so you can quit your crying.

jvd said:

Actually 3000+ and 3200+ A64s for s939 will be availeble at that time and with Via chipsets with dual PCIe 8/16 (nForce 4 is just using one 16 lane PCIe line split into two 8 lane), I think you would be able to get the CPU+Motherboard at less than $350, but people that are going SLI will most likely get something like an A64FX anyway.

Tim said:
Actually 3000+ and 3200+ A64s for s939 will be availeble at that time and with Via chipsets with dual PCIe 8/16 (nForce 4 is just using one 16 lane PCIe line split into two 8 lane), I think you would be able to get the CPU+Motherboard at less than $350, but people that are going SLI will most likely get something like an A64FX anyway.

Don't forget Semprons. Some peeps might spend less on their CPUs and more on their SLI GPUs :devilish:

Pete said:
Haven't read the article, but SLI is a tech demo in the same way that a $500 video card is a tech demo. People who have the money will buy it and enjoy the best performance, while everyone else will stay at the $50-250 level.

Each big generational change tends to bring 2x the performance of the previous gen in the high end. Nothing wrong with having the option of getting the next-gen performance now, which is what SLI seems to be best at.

I'm not sure why you're including the price of the CPU, though, jvd. I think the price of a dual-PEG MB will be premium enough that you don't need to rub it in. :) But dual 6800GTs on an nF4 sounds frickin' awesome, if you can afford it.

x800 Pro is about $550 in Sweden ;)
Anyway, I get your point.

I'd just like to dismiss certain assertions on the topic:

1. Claim that people will buy a new cpu just for SLI is stupid since I would have to buy a new cpu for any 939 board that I purchase.

2. 'Right now' is irrelevant since the focus of SLI for interested enthusiasts will most likely be Nvidia/Via chipsets which are not yet out.

3. Claims of $2000 for an SLI system are just meant to give backing to otherwise unfounded 'opinions'.

I'm not saying that in the end it won't cost $2000 for an SLI system but just picking a big number to support your argument is pretty juvenile. Extra GT = $400, SLI capable board ~ $100 extra. So for ~ $500 more you get SLI - lots of enthusiasts will blow $500 on hardware in the blink of an eye. Please let sanity rule!! :D

Back