GoldenEye 64 for the DS...GoldenEye 64 for the DS...!!!

j^aws

Veteran
When it was announced that GoldenEye was coming to the Nintendo DS, many assumed it would just be a special version of the EA pseudo-sequel, GoldenEye: Rogue Agent. Therefore interest certainly has not peaked around the world.

However, it has now been revealed by Nintendojo that the title is coming from both Nintendo and EA and will in fact be a port of the classic Rare game, GoldenEye, that sold millions upon millions of units and basically helped the Nintendo 64 stay alive in the face of much adversity.

The exclusive Nintendo DS title will include many updates that will enhance what was already a spectacular experience, including the ability for up to 16 players to join in on the action via the DS's Wi-Fi capabilities. There is even rumours of online play...

Expect more news on this amazing announcement in the near future...

Source...

:devilish:

If that turns out to be true... I am going to freak out ... However, I want a little more than just a plain remake and possibly Nintendo should give EA lots of input. BUT good news everyone :LOL:

hupfinsgack said:
If that turns out to be true... I am going to freak out ... However, I want a little more than just a plain remake and possibly Nintendo should give EA lots of input. BUT good news everyone :LOL:

They would be just SILLY not to release their prize assets from the N64 era on the DS in enhanced form and showcasing the dual screen! :p Otherwise I would personally *slap* their newly promoted execs with a very large Neo Geo cartridge! :devilish:

OH...My....GOD!!! Please let this be true, the DS will never leave my hands if this is true!!

Also what a system seller this will be! I'm sure they'll enhance it as well... this is just so exciting :D

Geeze, and Sony cops crap for lack of innovation...

This is entirely my opinion of course, but god I am sick of ports of old games. I already played it, I don't hugely want to play it again. They should at least give us all new levels. GBA SP frustrates the heck out of me, because it should have an awesome new mario platformer, yet all we get are ports. Nnyyyarrrgh :(

Anyway, does this mean Rare lost the rights to this? Wouldn't they own the assets, and hence Microsoft own that stuff now?

mech said:
This is entirely my opinion of course, but god I am sick of ports of old games. I already played it, I don't hugely want to play it again. They should at least give us all new levels. GBA SP frustrates the heck out of me, because it should have an awesome new mario platformer, yet all we get are ports. Nnyyyarrrgh :(

Anyway, does this mean Rare lost the rights to this? Wouldn't they own the assets, and hence Microsoft own that stuff now?

As far as I know Rare doesn't own the rights for Goldeneye. The akward involvement of EA is due to them own the JB:Goldeneye movie license.

Concerning rehashing licenses, I think an altered game design (they have to incorporate the DS abilities) and new levels are a given. If it justifies a buy is up to you...

Sounds sweet, that is.. until you think about controls.

(A large) Part of what made GoldenEye so fun to play was the amazingly responsive and well designed controll system. I don't see how you can recreated this without an analog stick.

I actually just booted Pefect Dark in attempt to get a "feel" for how such a game would control. Unfortunately, there were no selection where you can use ONLY the face buttons and the D-pad to maneuver. There was no option where I could use the D-dap to turn left/right, but I got a feel for other maneuvers like strafing and looking up/down

I reason that walking forward/backward with digital isn't that bad, afterall, I play with a Turok style control settup(1.2), and use the face buttons to move forward/back(and strafe left/right). Then there's looking up/down. This felt sluggish since I normally use analog for this function. Still, people who play wid 1.1 control setting shouldn't have a problem since use the face buttons for this function. However, I figure it must feel pretty awkward when BOTH fuctions lack analog, but likely nothign to render the game unplayable.

Then there's turning. NONE of the setups in Perfect Dark, or GoldenEye -- as far as I remember -- allows you to play WITHOUT using the analog stick to turn left/right. This was way too important to both games. From the way the character's wrist moved when you apply little pressure left/right, to the point where the entire body turns if you apply more pressure in which ever direction-- clearly, turning was the most important control function for both games.

In the end, a 007 port may very well be playable on DS, but I dont belive it'll be as much fun as some think it would be, simply because many don't seem to realize just how large of a role the control played in 007 in the first place.

OryoN said:
Sounds sweet, that is.. until you think about controls.

Concerning controls, I expect them to be similar to the DS Metroid Prime, don't exacly how they handled the looking up and down though.

(A large) Part of what made GoldenEye so fun to play was the amazingly responsive and well designed controll system. I don't see how you can recreated this without an analog stick.

The touch screen can be used as an analog stick. The top screen can display the main game. With the bottom screen being used as an analog stick (for looking up, down, left and right). With the D-Pad used to walk forward. back, left and right and a shoulder button used to fire (I believe in Goldeneye its better to have a button to fire instead of merely touching the screen like in Metroid DS).

Goldeneye will be the Halo of the DS! I have a strange feeling though, it says based on Goldeneye64 ... developed by EA. I think EA might screw up here. Goldeneye Rogue Agent looks pretty crappy as well.

They should just port it 1:1 (with better textures) and a few additional levels. No experiments!

Teasy said:
The touch screen can be used as an analog stick. The top screen can display the main game. With the bottom screen being used as an analog stick (for looking up, down, left and right). With the D-Pad used to walk forward. back, left and right and a shoulder button used to fire (I believe in Goldeneye its better to have a button to fire instead of merely touching the screen like in Metroid DS).

I've thought of the possibilities of stylus + touchscreen, and saw a problem with having to sacrifice too many functions or quick access to them. I thought the problem was too obvious to even mention the stylus in the first place.

These things are somewhat minor, but accumatively... :cry:
With such a set-up, here are the disadvantages. The following will either be omitted, or require you to use your "stylus hand," which will be an obvious gripe, especially in multiplayer.

Using sights
Ducking
"Creeping"
Peeping from behind walls
Reloading
Changing weapons
Zooming with sniper riffle
Dodging left/right while aiming with sights
*...And pretty much everything other than just the basic walk, look and shoot.

The solution is so obvious that we all overlooked it though.

SCREW THE STYLUS ALL TOGETHER!! :)

If you're allowed to use your left thumb directly on the screen like an analog stick, then you'll retain ALL 007 functions(with a few minor adjustments), including tactical functions like ducking, and peeping from behind walls, since you will have immediate access to all 4 main face buttons in combination with the shoulder buttons.

With those tactics and the fact that you'll have a screen to yourself, you can use some fashion of stealth to get the jump on your opponents.

That leaves reloading and weapon selection:
-- You can tap select to reload.
-- Hold it to bring up weapons/equiptment menus similar to Perfect Dark(not to discredit Turok 2).

And there you have it, perfection! It wouldn't get better than that.
I think I just got myself hyped for this game(if true). Although, I have doubts about EA actually delivering remotely close to that set-up. :(
(I better write them)

PS: Does anyone care to petition for the creation of a "THUMB-TIP" stylus device? :LOL:

Just updating the graphics, tweaking the framerate, adding a bots and a wireless multiplayer mode to the original 007 Goldeneye, would justify a purchase...

thop said:
OryoN said:
(I better write them)
Funniest thing i read here in a while :D

Good, cause it was a joke. ;)

:devilish: Or was it....

Seriously though, if I do find out EA(or any developer for that matter) does have the game under development, I may just be tempted to write them, asking them to consider such a set up(heck, if it's the best possible option, why not?). I'm a potential customer damn it, the customer is always right! :eek:

Not sure they'd listen/read though. In which case I'd have liberty to create a thread about how EA fu*ked up, should the game launch with a botched control system, wouldn't I?

BTW, umm.. you don't work for EA, do you, thop? :oops:

Hey, but if you did, I'm sure would review/consider my suggestion if it wasn't already mentioned, right.... RIGHT? :?

OryoN said:
PS: Does anyone care to petition for the creation of a "THUMB-TIP" stylus device? :LOL:

i was thinking along the same lines but I'm fortunate enought to have 'double jointed thumbs' to help me out! :oops: ...But your suggestion of the THUMB-TIP sounds not that crazy and could well be the first DS accessory! :p ...Quick,...run to the patent office! :D ...Prolly could getaway with a DIY nail through a 'thumberlina'! :devilish:

Jaws said:
OryoN said:

i was thinking along the same lines but I'm fortunate enought to have 'double jointed thumbs' to help me out! :oops: ...But your suggestion of the THUMB-TIP sounds not that crazy and could well be the first DS accessory! :p ...Quick,...run to the patent office! :D ...Prolly could getaway with a DIY nail through a 'thumberlina'! :devilish:

lol, I'm double-jointed as well, but it feels much more relaxing not having to keep the thumb bent all the time, especially since you'll be using the L button at the same time. I actually taped a small, plastic BB round under my thumb and slide it around on my GBA screen.... It felt surprisingly comfortable! :oops:

Even just usting your thumb alone felt like it'd actually work well, but it still has a pretty large surface area(double-jointed or not), this may create a problem with precision unless developers designate a relatively large area on the screen as your "analog stick" -- too large of an area will create a comfort issue when accessing the L button, but some kind of thumb stylus would fix all that though.

OryoN said:
Jaws said:
OryoN said:

lol, I'm double-jointed as well, but it feels much more relaxing not having to keep the thumb bent all the time, especially since you'll be using the L button at the same time. I actually taped a small, plastic BB round under my thumb and slide it around on my GBA screen.... It felt surprisingly comfortable! :oops:

Even just usting your thumb alone felt like it'd actually work well, but it still has a pretty large surface area(double-jointed or not), this may create a problem with precision unless developers designate a relatively large area on the screen as your "analog stick" -- too large of an area will create a comfort issue when accessing the L button, but some kind of thumb stylus would fix all that though.

I'm sure they would have some sort of sensitivity option for the touch screen, like you get on a trackpad on a laptop. There's a relatively large surface area to screen resolution, so you would have a generous range of sensitivities. However, I do feel that using a lower screen as a trackpad option does seem like a waste of sceren realestate.

I do think Nintendo missed the boat with an analogue 'thumb' controller device like in the PSP, especially with Nintendo's innovation with the analogue stick with the N64 controller. Somehow, I still feel the DS as a compromise when it comes to control and maybe Miyamoto intended more with the rumuored gyroscope system with the DS that was allegedly ditched due to cost reasons...

Teasy said:
Prolly could getaway with a DIY nail through a 'thumberlina

No need, just use a thumb plectrum :)

Nah...you'd still need to use a 'finger' and 'thumb', rather than just a thumb! ;) ...but hold onto that thought, how about using the plectum and the touchscreen to learn to play the guitar on the DS! :p

Back