Tools to augment....

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
Im getting back to programming (including graphics programming) after a very long hiatus. Im going to be using visual studio .net 2003. What id like to know is what tools/programs do you use to augment your programming?

epic

If you are working alone then it is not such a big deal, but for large projects with multiple people working on it (and source control of some kind) the Araxis Merge is fantastic.
Even if you are working on something along I would suggest some kind of source control system, simply so that you can keep easy backups of old revisions without having to zip up the whole directory at a time.
Debugview can be quite handy if you want to run/debug your app on another machine without visual studio installed, as it allows you to capture OutputDebugString messages (check out www.sysinternals.com).

Have fun,
CC

thanks for the recommendation. Is cvs still the best source control out there. Im trying to only stick with freeware if at all possible.

epic

what program do you use to code with? I used to use visual studio for compiling only, and use something else to code with. Anyone else do something similar?

epic

I think you can plug in different text editors into the Visual Studio IDE. The default one really is very bad, but I've never been arsed to switch to something else, so I can't help with details. Check google though, I think there's a vi clone available for example.

It took me the best part of 8 years, but I gave up trying to fight the Visual Studios editor is crap war and now I just use it.

Yes it's not as complete as my particular favorite editor (Codewright), but it probably costs me less productivity not having all the editor features I like and working in one environment rather than swapping between two to use the "best" editor. The change over period was hideously painful, since I also went from brief keys to CUA keys at the same time.

As for additional tools Visual Assist is awesome, although it has issues.
I like Araxis Merge.
Unerstand for C++ is useful if your analysing a code base
Doxygen if your on a reasonably sized team

I think those are the only ones I use regularly.

Nick said:
TortoiseCVS is absolutely great. But change to the XP style overlay icons so it looks nice too. ;)

TortoiseSVN is better ;-)

I work with Ben (one of the original authors of tortoisecvs) and use to work with Francis (the original author).

Between the two, there are responsible for loads of OpenSource projects.

Binify (Ben's text to binary file convertor, we use that inhouse (at JAM) to export all resource as in memory text file, binify does the rest). http://binify.sourceforge.net/

WxLua is Francis's port (originally) of WxWindows to Lua, very good for quick windows tools. http://www.luascript.thersgb.net/index.htm

Zig is Bens crazy 2D shooter (very fun) http://movezig.sourceforge.net/.

Francis did some work on http://www.fleafall.com/ with Barny.

O.k. that enough off-topic ex Creature Labbers projects :)

With a Subversion server and SVN, you life will be better (Subversion is the free source control system, that is meant (and does a fairly good job) of fixing any problems with CVS).

And you should always have VIM (GVIM actually) as the fallback editor of the gods (I like ERP use visual studio for C file but for any other files its VIM).

Scons is great build/make system (pythonbased). I may have a new VCPROJ/SLN tool for it, to put back into the community soon...

epicstruggle said:
what program do you use to code with? I used to use visual studio for compiling only, and use something else to code with. Anyone else do something similar?
I use UltraEdit as my editor and Visual Studio to compile.

[off-topic]

DeanoC said:
Binify (Ben's text to binary file convertor, we use that inhouse (at JAM) to export all resource as in memory text file, binify does the rest). http://binify.sourceforge.net/

Hmm interesting solution - altough I like our own inhouse solution somewhat better. (But I developed it - so what would anyone expect? ;) )

It parses a C++ header file for a data structure template - and can store data in either text or binary files and read/write the data into the structures directly (it's basicly a runtime type information + serialization/deserialization solution)
The text files are easy to read and edit and are fairly backward/forward compatible.

[/off-topic]

I actually pretty satisfied with the editor of Visual Studio 7.1, altough I liked 6.0 better.
Visual Assist is good - altough it sometimes produces strange things.
I miss WndTabs - VS7's tab solution truly sux.
We use SVN with TortoiseSVN - it's a lot of improvement over CVS.

One problem with TortoiseSVN is that it breaks down on encountering a conflict (like you added a file with the same name as someone else, or changed a file someone deleted) and it produces bogus 'transaction' errors at random files.
Using a command line "svn update" has always fixed the tree when that happened - so you have to keep the the command line tools around...

Back