What cellphone do you have?

Samsung SPH-i500. For those that don't know it's a small CDMA flip phone that runs the Palm OS.

A basic Nokia 3390.

I got it when my boyfriend bought the P900, so I got his old phone.
We don't (yet) have those plans with telecoms here, so we paid €800 for the phone (with bluetooth headset).
It's a nice gadget to play with, but most of the functions would go waste if I had such a phone.

I really don't need a phone for other than talking, I already got a digicam so a camera function would be rather useless for me, as would a color screen etc...

Still, I would like some nice phone, but as long as the old one is still working, I think I'll stick with it.

epicstruggle said:
Mendel said:
I still don't have one. And I don't plan to buy one either.
Same boat here. Dont feel like shoveling hard earned money for a device that at best is useful once in a while.
epic
Then you should just do what I did - buy the cheapest model you can get and go with a "pay as you go" scheme**. I only use it once in a while and probably spend a few £s a year on phone calls.

**I presume you have the equivalent in the US.

Simon in the usa alot of times the companys will give u a phone ( a pretty good one ) with a purchase of a year or two contract.

I currently pay 40$ a month for 300 day time minutes , 1 thousand verizon to verizon minutes , unlimited nights and weekends . When i got my phone last september i had an offer to get one of the nokia color phones for free. But i went with the camera phone as i take few pictures and a real digital would have been a waste.

My little sister actually recently got her phone for free and its the model right under mine. (it has a smaller screen and less memory for pictures)

I have a GSM/GPRS quadband NEC 525 camera phone. I got it free with 2 yr ATT contract. Phone by itself without a calling plan is around $250-$300.

http://www.nechdm.com/525.asp

20040708_1516471.gif

20040708_1516473.gif

20040708_1516472.gif

jvd said:
Simon in the usa alot of times the companys will give u a phone ( a pretty good one ) with a purchase of a year or two contract.
Yes, same here... if you want that sort thing, i.e. a monthly bill for "line rental".

Alternatively, you can have a pay-as-you go scheme, e.g. virgin, where once you purchase the phone and/or sim card, you only pay for the phone calls, which are pretty competitively priced. I only make one or two short calls a week so it's a bargain for me!

Simon F said:
Yes, same here... if you want that sort thing, i.e. a monthly bill for "line rental".

Alternatively, you can have a pay-as-you go scheme, e.g. virgin, where once you purchase the phone and/or sim card, you only pay for the phone calls, which are pretty competitively priced. I only make one or two short calls a week so it's a bargain for me!

I, too, have gone pay-as-you go. I even went one step better than you as I didn't actually buy my phone - my Mum gave me her old one. ;)

In the 18 months I've had the phone, I've made maybe a dozen calls and received roughly the same number but it does prove useful for SMS messages.

Signal strength isn't brilliant with Virgin, however - my Dad has Vodaphone pay-as-you-go and he gets a much better reception in most parts of the country.

I have a Nokia, the model number of which is too ancient to be remembered. I think it's from 1998.

I've fixed it with adhesive tape, lest it turns itself off if you touch it, or just stare at it in a way that implies that you might consider using it.

It's orange.

You know epicstruggle, a lot of clever people said the same thing about cars, computers and the internet.

Leto said:
You know epicstruggle, a lot of clever people said the same thing about cars, computers and the internet.

Well... I don't view a car as a necessary item either. I need it once a year to travel to assembly demoparty with my computer but that's it. I didn't have a car until recently and now that I have it, I don't use it at all after the clutch started leaking... and I have no interest in getting it fixed whatsoever. I find walking 2 kilometers to work and school just refreshing. If I need to travel longer distance, there's always the railroad, buses and airports.

edit: Computers and internet again... not necessary but a very interesting hobby for me indeed!

And I can see how some are enthusiastic about cars and cellphones too... but that's just not my thing

edit2: Just one more funny thing... I paid 200 euros for my car and 500 euros for a graphics adapter upgrade to my computer... That's my priority :)

Simon F said:
Mendel said:
edit2: Just one more funny thing... I paid 200 euros for my car :)
That might explain the leaking clutch then :)

Well... it did its intended job and delivered me to assembly 2004 and back in total of 14 hours. :)

edit: woot! I found a suspicious looking screw... opened, added clutch liquid to container... closed the screw...and I think I've fixed it!

I have a Nokia "something". It works well with prepaid.
Maybe will change in the future for some cheap/good motorola.
My main requirement is longer battery.

My new toy is a VoIP softphone :)

Maybe we could have a conference call thread someday (g.729, fwd) 8)

Back