My Apologies...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...for getting the interview with JC thread closed. I was just making light on a messed up situation in regards to the current state of intellectual property. I thought I wrote certain questions in a crazy enough way so as i thought it obvious as being facetious. Anyhow I'm sorry, here is a virtual bat... commence the virtual beating. I know that enough people had some good questions for Mr. Carmack, so if Reverend would be so kind as to accept my apology and maybe also be so kind as to unlock the thread for all serious questions I would be grateful... my intent was not to harm the community.

Hey, well.. I started two different discussions when I should have just shut up.

Going back and reading it there didn't seem to be anything that wrong with it, though I can understand that perhaps Rev wouldn't want to ask some of your questions. Nice of you to apologize though...

Nite_Hawk

Also, I'm pretty sure the fact that Rev wrote up and sent his question to JC probably had a lot to do with him closing it to. ;)

Although I gotta also say it's a class move to apologize like you're doing when you think you screwed up, nice one. 8)

There are many good questions in that thread.
I really don't know why Rev won't ask those because of only one post.... :LOL:

o well....:LOL:

It just bothers me that after I said no discussions as well as Neeyik giving the same warning, some folks just refuse to listen (and that includes Scali, who even though he'd said a couple of times not to discuss, he himself is contributing to it).

I know locking up the thread looks kinda "too serious a move" but look at it this way -- for those of you that have been asking for a more serious approach by B3D towards moderating the forums, this is an example. Stick to the topic and respect the wishes of a poster (especially a site partner attempting an interview with someone like John Carmack... his name's in bold in case you don't notice). I realize there are a lot of newbies here in the forums (thanks lately to Humus with that ATI hack of his :) ) and I can understand such folks do not realize certain "givens" and "rules" here. Hopefully what I did is for the better overall.

digitalwanderer said:
Also, I'm pretty sure the fact that Rev wrote up and sent his question to JC probably had a lot to do with him closing it to. ;)
I have not sent the questions off to John coz I've only got less than 10 now and I want to make it a minimum of 10 questions. Also, I'd prefer sending him emails a little bit after QuakeCon04.

I'm not even sure if I should send him an email with 10 questions -- he has refused interviews with me before and I have had far better luck with emails with just a couple of questions. So I may just send him all the questions, split up into a few emails! :)

This thread does not belong in the 3DHW&T forum. Moved to Site Feedback.

for those of you that have been asking for a more serious approach by B3D towards moderating the forums, this is an example.

I wasn't quite aware of this, but I'll be sure to make note of it.

Forgot to add this.

Infinisearch, I got your apologetic PM. The truth is you're not solely to blame for my locking the thread. It's a combination of your post, Jaws' post and Scali doing the exact thing he said he don't want to do.

I just thought locking the thread would save me time, in case there were more discussions and useless questions posted again and again (something I thought -- neh, knew -- would happen, before I made the decision to lock the thread).

Of course, if this was to be an interview with Dave, you can all discuss and ask questions like "How's your cat?" or "Can you forward me all the emails you get from the IHVs?" or "C'mon, just tell us the truth -- are you pro-NVIDIA or pro-ATI ?".

:)

In any case, I have got quite a number of questions to ask John myself based on what he said at QuakeCon04, which in case you don't realize it, has given us quite a number of clues as to some of the things that he wants to implement in his next engine. I just need to listen to what he said at least 10 times to make sure I ask questions that he'd want to answer! :)

Richteralan said:
There are many good questions in that thread.
I really don't know why Rev won't ask those because of only one post.... :LOL:

o well....:LOL:
Yes, there a few questions asked there that I wouldn't mind sending off to John. I said this in the thread, didn't I?

It just bothers me that after I said no discussions as well as Neeyik giving the same warning, some folks just refuse to listen (and that includes Scali, who even though he'd said a couple of times not to discuss, he himself is contributing to it).

Yes, I'm sorry about that, but I felt that I had to respond to indicate the importance of my question. At least, to me it seems like a very important question, and I hope you have included it in the interview.
As I tried to explain, I think this choice is a bad one for the future, since it will not scale very well with high polycount, so I would like to hear Carmack's view on it.
So when people respond like they did, I conclude that the importance of my question was not apparent, so I felt that I had to clarify this.

My question qould have been whether, like a person who works in a chocolate factory all day, whether he can stand the sight of chocolate when he gets home, ie does he ever play Doom3 or other fps or not ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back